Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Finally got my Paperwhite!

503 batch.

My screen is terrible. More pink blotches than white actually. But I'll live with it. Sending it back to Amazon, especially when you're not in the US, is too time-consuming and too much of a hassle.

Other than the screen though, the device itself is gorgeous. A little heavier than expected initially but after I got the Amazon case on, it got even heaver but easier to hold. And sort of getting used to the weight already.

Jailbroke it, installed screensavers hack and the JB patch. A little shoutout to everyone involved in those hacks. Worked flawlessly despite a little hickup with the screensavers hack. And then proceeded to move my entire Calibre library (160+ books) at one go on to the PW. Did a mobi to mobi conversion for all items before transferring over to the PW. Ejected and went to sleep. Woke up to find all items have been indexed. I could have used a better screen but although a distraction, the device is perfect for reading. And besides, it only becomes more prominent at higher light levels.

Here is a picture I took just for Instagram. Apologies that it doesn't exactly show off the screen. Trying to mature my creative side. Once I get around to it, I'll post more conventional photos.

Last edited by TheSacredSoul; 01-10-2013 at 08:58 PM.
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Sorry to hear about your screen. I thought you'd have better luck seeing as the later batches seem to have fewer complaints.

Maybe when the PW is officially sold in your country, you can try for a replacement? Thats' what I plan to do with mine
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Sorry to hear about your screen. I thought you'd have better luck seeing as the later batches seem to have fewer complaints.

Maybe when the PW is officially sold in your country, you can try for a replacement? Thats' what I plan to do with mine
Nah, Amazon don't usually even ship here. We have to use a 3rd party forwarder to get it shipped to Singapore. And none of the previous Kindles has ever been officially sold here. As such, Kindles are extremely rare here. Have to say I've yet to see anyone use it on trains etc.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
Nah, Amazon don't usually even ship here. We have to use a 3rd party forwarder to get it shipped to Singapore. And none of the previous Kindles has ever been officially sold here. As such, Kindles are extremely rare here. Have to say I've yet to see anyone use it on trains etc.
That's too bad. Hope you at least get used to the blotches then, like I did
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
That's too bad. Hope you at least get used to the blotches then, like I did
I think I will. I probably won't ever read it in full brightness anyway.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Sorry yours has the color blotches. Hopefully you're able to get used to it. I do find keeping the brightness down helps quite a lot. Generally you won't see them at all on the lower settings.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
WadsUpDoc
WadsUpDoc began at the beginning.

Hey, I'm from Singapore too! Planning to get my Kindle PW today, and hence I'm doing some research on it now. Just wondering, what are the benefits of jailbreaking? Would it be possible to fix it if it is bricked?
WadsUpDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
modified
Connoisseur
modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: PW5
Another resident of the little red dot here as well.

@WadsUpDoc
I asked that same question a few weeks ago before my PW arrived.

Personally, I have the screensavers hack (if you have the non-SO version) and the Collections Manager installed.

I'm not sure if jb helps with debricking, this is better asked in the Kindle Developer's Corner forum.

I am generally quite happy with my PW (502). I would be hard-pressed to call the screen terrible even though I do see some very slight pink blotches at max brightness. I have the PW for almost 2 weeks now, and have never found the need to read at the brightest setting (it's kinda uncomfortable to be honest). I set it at level 5 on the very first day, and had no need to tinker with it since.

And yes, I have seen people using the Kindle here in Singapore. I saw someone with the DX about a week ago, but the K3 and K5/PW are more common. I rely on public transport for my commute, so the odds are better for me.
modified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #9
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
503 batch.

My screen is terrible. More pink blotches than white actually. But I'll live with it. Sending it back to Amazon, especially when you're not in the US, is too time-consuming and too much of a hassle.
How do you find out the batch number?

Sorry for your problem, I thought by this time Amazon would have fixed the screen problem. Apparently, they didn't.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 01-11-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #10
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
How do you find out the batch number?

Sorry for your problem, I thought by this time Amazon would have fixed the screen problem. Apparently, they didn't.
[HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Device Info

It's under serial number. XXXX X503 XXXX XXMV, where 503 is your batch number.

Anyway, anyone knows how to see metadata info on the PW? For example, the summary of the book and the name of the series which I went through great troubles to fill out on calibre haha.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #11
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Thank you. Mine is 501 but mine doesn't have discoloration and uniformly white but it has a tiny dead pixel, for lack of a better word, about the size of half a period at the near bottom of the screen. It isn't at the readable part of the screen so I just ignore it.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:

Anyway, anyone knows how to see metadata info on the PW? For example, the summary of the book and the name of the series which I went through great troubles to fill out on calibre haha.
You can't see the metadata, only title and author.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
papierflieger
papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Looks like we got ours on the same day! Too bad about your screen issues, though. Huh, mine is actually from the same batch (503?) as yours, but the screen is almost perfect on mine.. There's a small pink area on the upper part near the edge of the screen, but I didn't even notice it at first. I only noticed it last night when I turned the light down a bit to read in bed. I was actually wondering if it is was the screen or just my eyes.
papierflieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Using the Plugboards in Calibre you can at least have the series name and number visible in the title of the book when viewed on your PW in 'List View'. Look in the 'Library Management' sub-forum of Calibre, read the sticky about techniques to use plugboards...Kovid's example is about doing this.

Last edited by GoSharks; 01-12-2013 at 11:00 AM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
modified
Connoisseur
modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: PW5
Alternatively, if you use Calibre, you can check the option to "Insert metadata as page at start of book" (in the Structure Detection section of the Conversion dialogue).
modified is offline   Reply With Quote