Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
New Android user questions

I do have a Kindle Fire HD, but that is not a full android unit, so I have some questions.

Can I take an App I bought from Amazon and load on my Samsung Galaxy Player 5? How do you do that?

I need to use a stylus that works on a Paperwhite, KFHD, and SGP5. Is that possible?

So many questions.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Can I take an App I bought from Amazon and load on my Samsung Galaxy Player 5? How do you do that?
You sure can. I do it all the time for my Galaxy Player 4. Just go here and follow these instructions on how to put Amazon's Appstore on your Galaxy Player. It's really easy.

Putting Amazon Appstore on your Android Device
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You sure can. I do it all the time for my Galaxy Player 4. Just go here and follow these instructions on how to put Amazon's Appstore on your Galaxy Player. It's really easy.

Putting Amazon Appstore on your Android Device
Thank you! You all are so helpful.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Thank you! You all are so helpful.
YW; and anytime.

Sorry I can't give you any advice on the stylus, because I don't use them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I need to use a stylus that works on a Paperwhite, KFHD, and SGP5. Is that possible?
I use a capacitive stylus for my phone, which works as well on my tablets and also on my nook glow (though it is not capacitive, but IR). They cost about $10-$20, though you can find them on offer for about $6. Don't buy the $1 or $2 ones, they're flimsy and the tips peel off.

I use one similar to this one.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
A good stylus is tough to find. I wish that more stores had some on display to actually hold. I've ordered a few that didn't feel right. It sucks being picky.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Yes, a stylus is an individual thing and it's hard to find the perfect one. Forunately, a capacitive stylus is a capacitive stylus, so when you do find one that works well and feels good, it should work just as well on all capacitive screens (barring devices with poor touchscreen quality).

I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/HHI-Chunky-Pen.../dp/B005F7KKXU

... but I hated the way it felt in my hand so I pulled the conductive foam tip off of it and made my own out of parts from a broken metal pen and a few other things, and it works great on both my tablet and my phone.

When I ordered the case for my tablet, it came with a free "capacitive stylus", but it was made entirely of plastic so I'm not exactly sure how they thought that would work. Fortunately, I only needed the case.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
A good stylus is tough to find. I wish that more stores had some on display to actually hold. I've ordered a few that didn't feel right. It sucks being picky.
I ordered the Amazon basics stylus for Kindle Fire, etc. etc. Under $10, since it is guaranteed for 1 year I thought I would give this one a try.

Why does the plastic tip collapse, why is it hollow? Are all of them that way?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
buzz007
buzz007 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buzz007 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buzz007 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buzz007 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buzz007 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buzz007 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buzz007 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buzz007 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buzz007 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buzz007 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buzz007 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: face fan
Quote:
I ordered the Amazon basics stylus for Kindle Fire, etc. etc. Under $10, since it is guaranteed for 1 year I thought I would give this one a try.

i have too ordered
buzz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

I have 2 and both are hollow.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
For a capacitive stylus, only the tip really does anything because the tip needs to be capacitive. The rest of the stylus is really just a glorified stick, so cheap styluses might be hollow to save money or to make the stylus lighter while maintaining a wider diameter. The capacitive tips might come off if the stylus is poorly built. You can try doing what the South Koreans do and use sausages instead.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/s...ld-weather-me/
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
For a capacitive stylus, only the tip really does anything because the tip needs to be capacitive. The rest of the stylus is really just a glorified stick, so cheap styluses might be hollow to save money or to make the stylus lighter while maintaining a wider diameter. The capacitive tips might come off if the stylus is poorly built. You can try doing what the South Koreans do and use sausages instead.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/s...ld-weather-me/
Hard to believe sausages are used.

I thought the stick is aluminum and that conduct whatever! I don't understand it. I have used cotton gloves to turn pages, but can't use it for fine detail.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #13
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Nope, the stick doesn't do anything for you other than provide you with something to hold. The tip is the only part of the stylus that does any sort of actual interaction with the capacitive touchscreen. Your gloves might have been thin enough to not entirely insulate your fingertip from the screen. They actually make capacitive gloves in case you live in a cold weather area and you don't want to resort to using sausages.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/16/h...iphone-gloves/
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:39 AM   #14
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
I just bought a stylus that has a fabric / mesh tip that I like better than all the others I've tried. Seems like the hollow rubber kind but covered with some sort of fabric. It slides way better over the screen and doesn't seem to have so many touch problems that I had with others. The rubber tips seem to bog down or skip for me.

The brand I got was QVS, made in China, and I can't for the life of me find it online. If you search for fabric or mesh or microfiber tip capacitive stylus you'll find some similar ones. Amazon has some. Boxwave has some on their site. Just make sure it's the fabric and not rubber tips.

As an extra, the fabric wipes away some of the smudges on the screen while you use it!
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
Nope, the stick doesn't do anything for you other than provide you with something to hold. The tip is the only part of the stylus that does any sort of actual interaction with the capacitive touchscreen. Your gloves might have been thin enough to not entirely insulate your fingertip from the screen. They actually make capacitive gloves in case you live in a cold weather area and you don't want to resort to using sausages.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/16/h...iphone-gloves/
Well I may make one myself then. I just received the Amazon Basic stylus for KFHD and it is no better than my cheapy stylus I will say the Paperwhite touch is not as responsive as the KFHD.

Not sure what I can do about that, I try to turn pages, over and over again. KFHD no problem, it does it easy. I still love the PW to read on, now that I got the brightness I needed, but frustrated changing pages.

Last edited by new; 12-01-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typos as usual