Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Paperwhite capacitive touchscreen: how does it respond?

Paperwhite has a capacitive touchscreen. How does it respond in comparison with other capacitive touchscreens (iPad / Android phones or tablets / other phones or tablets)?

I know that refresh time of E-Ink screen is noticible higher than refresh time of LCD screen, so comparison of "responding" as "refreshing screen image" will be not so objective. So I'm mostly interested in any small details that will come into your mind after this question.

If there are owners of both Kindle Touch and Kindle Paperwhite, I'll be glad to hear if there is any difference in feelings about their's touchscreens (I suspect, feelings could be different, because Kindle Touch uses infrared-based touchscreen, not capacitive).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
alaskazimm
alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook Touch Glow; Kindle Paperwhite 2
The responsiveness of my new KPW is on par with my Galxay S phone. Pulling up a new screen is of course faster on the phone, but in tasks where the screen doesn't need to refresh (keyboard, light level) it is quick.

Naturally YMMV.
alaskazimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I have the Touch and the PW. The PW touch response is a little faster than the Touch and the feel of the screen is better. The Touch has a really smooth screen and the PW has a nicer texture that feels almost like fine paper. Neither respond very fast as they are eInk devices, so I really wouldn't attempt to compare them to the iPad or phones which have instant refresh.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I have the Touch and the PW. The PW touch response is a little faster than the Touch and the feel of the screen is better. The Touch has a really smooth screen and the PW has a nicer texture that feels almost like fine paper. Neither respond very fast as they are eInk devices, so I really wouldn't attempt to compare them to the iPad or phones which have instant refresh.
I think you nailed it. I think the Paperwhite is better than the Touch in terms of highlighting and page turning.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
QofResh
Enthusiast
QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Touch; Android Tablet (Asus TF300); PC App
I'm experiencing an interesting problem with my PW's touchscreen. When it is plugged in to the wall, the touchscreen becomes wonky and nearly unresponsive. Could my unit be defective in that way, or is that par for the Kindle course?
QofResh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by QofResh View Post
I'm experiencing an interesting problem with my PW's touchscreen. When it is plugged in to the wall, the touchscreen becomes wonky and nearly unresponsive. Could my unit be defective in that way, or is that par for the Kindle course?
Have the same problem with my firehd, did a web search and the problem is not uncommon.

Why? Have not a clue, but while charging the screen sensitivity is greatly reduced. My stylus works great when on battery but not so great while charging.

But direct finger contact still works alright, seeing that the screen seems very sensitive normally.

I am just racking it up as the "Nature" of the beast.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by QofResh View Post
I just tested mine and don't see any issues.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
brandon7s
brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The PW screen's responsiveness is VASTLY improved over the Kindle Touch. Seriously, the capacitive touch screen is a huge upgrade from IR technology; I'm surprised Amazon didn't market this feature more than they did.
brandon7s is offline   Reply With Quote