Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #31
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
For the CPU on my Jornada, I have 3 options for Mobi Reader: 4.8, 4.9, and 5.3.

4.8 is the Mobi Reader recommended for WinCE devices. It works okay. Be sure you go get the free registration code so you can keep all the features.

4.9 doesn't seem to have any extra features, but I use it because it works just as well.

5.3 doesn't work completely because it is intended to run on Windows Mobile, and I lack the support files needed to display menu bar properly. It still mostly works, though.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #32
dmg
dmg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I got one!

Over the weekend, I bought a brand-spanking-used Jornada 720! I'm now impatiently waiting for its arrival.

I probably paid too much for it but I figure it is still only a quarter of the cost of the Kindle and provides more functionality (which is what I was looking for).

I was a little disappointed to learn that while mobipocket claims to "support them all," they don't. But I guess I can't expect too much support for a gadget that is around eight years old

I can't wait to start loading up ebooks...
Dawn
dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #33
dmg
dmg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
So it turns out there is a Linux distro for the 720. Actually, there are several but the one I am trying is called jlime. As soon as I figure out how to mount the partitions of a CF card, I will give it a shot.

I've never done this before in Linux. I'm probably going to have to have a Linux geek do it for me.
Did you ever get jlime up and running on your Jornada 720?
dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #34
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was going to, but decided against it because I would have to give up Mobipocket while running Linux.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #35
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I just now reread this, and I see that I didn't say that this is my main ebook reader. I'm going to start a new thread for a proper review.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:54 PM   #36
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
Jornada as a reading/writing machine

I've been very happy with my Jornada which I bought about a year and a half ago (on eBay) for $75. I was happy to read about the aftermarket batteries although I'm satisfied with my current battery life--on other PDAs, batteries have been major issues (I'm on my third with my iPAQ.)

In terms of Wi-Fi, I've had success using open Wi-Fi at hotels, the college where I teach, and in restaurants. No success with connecting to my own secure Wi-Fi (although it supports at least some encrypted Wi-Fi).

The screen is big enough that you can read PDF files, and the (old) version of Internet Explorer works well enough for HTML formatted eBooks.

I actually use the Jornada primarily as a writing machine (although I have read 6 or 7 books on it). The keyboard takes some adjustment, but it is possible to 10-finger type with it). I've written hundreds of pages on this machine as I use it during my commute on Dallas's light rail.

Because I don't synch, I'd be interested in any insights on how to load Mobipocket directly via the CF card.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #37
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I found a really good review on the 720. I think I'm going to add one to my ever-increasing collection of mobile devices.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/har...hp/jornada720/
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #38
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksForABuck View Post
Because I don't synch, I'd be interested in any insights on how to load Mobipocket directly via the CF card.
It's really simple. Put the CF card in a card reader and transfer the CAB file. Then put the card back in your Jornada, navigate to the card, and double click on the CAB file.

One point in the 720's favor is that it has no problem with running programs off the CF card (some of it's competitors do). I have around 250MB taken up by programs I use only occasionally. If I installe everything to the internal RAM, I would not be able to have them as a just in case.

Here is the MobiReader you need:
http://www.mobipocket.com/soft/reade...er_hpc.arm.cab

And here is the code for all the features: JWNLMXVU
Old 07-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #39
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I found a low profile Wifi card I like. It doesn't have much range, though. But the nice thing is that with it I can use the Feedbook and MobileRead download guides.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/foru...sts=34#M118389
Old 07-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What sort of battery life do you get with WiFi? Older models in the LX range were extremely "power hungry" when it came to using PCMCIA cards.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #41
AdamGott
Connoisseur
AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle/iPad
It's a bit late but here is what I now do with problematic wifi devices in my house. I turned off all encryption and use MAC addresses to allow access to my router. I had problems getting my IPAQ rx3115 to connect to a new router using encryption so I went this route instead.

It is supposedly easy to clone MAC addresses but I think you have to know which one to clone. I think this security level is quite a bit better than none and it still allows me to access my router with these older devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksForABuck View Post
I've been very happy with my Jornada which I bought about a year and a half ago (on eBay) for $75. I was happy to read about the aftermarket batteries although I'm satisfied with my current battery life--on other PDAs, batteries have been major issues (I'm on my third with my iPAQ.)

In terms of Wi-Fi, I've had success using open Wi-Fi at hotels, the college where I teach, and in restaurants. No success with connecting to my own secure Wi-Fi (although it supports at least some encrypted Wi-Fi).

The screen is big enough that you can read PDF files, and the (old) version of Internet Explorer works well enough for HTML formatted eBooks.

I actually use the Jornada primarily as a writing machine (although I have read 6 or 7 books on it). The keyboard takes some adjustment, but it is possible to 10-finger type with it). I've written hundreds of pages on this machine as I use it during my commute on Dallas's light rail.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
AdamGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #42
philpalm
philpalm began at the beginning.

Device: sony clie tj-37
A mixture of topics:

Sony Clie Th-55 can use the full screen for Mobipocket. If you go to 1src.com and search they have the thread to find a full screen Plucker program.
------------------
Did you know that the phat Sony PSP was hacked to be able to read Pdf files? I haven't found the hack for the slim Model but if I do, I could beat any PDA device because it can via an adapter show the screen upon a television. One drawback is a clumsy keyboard to type in website addresses when using WiFi.
---------------------
Strangely there are Palm enthusiasts who are waiting for the next OS Nova to appear. Probably that will be a new category Smart Cell Phone Miscellaneous.
philpalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #43
bsbarlow
bsbarlow began at the beginning.

Device: Jornada 720
I am new to this thread and to eReading altogether and I am not particularly computer savvy. I stumbled upon this thread while trying to find a "low rent" eReading device.

I purchased the Jornada 720 after reading the comments here. I have successfully loaded Mobipocket and have not been able to load any other software. Is are there versions of other eReading software that will work with my device? I am specifically interested in MS eReader and Abode Digital.

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice that you could give. Thanks.
bsbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #44
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Read this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...075#post295075

It's still a work in progress, so if any of it isn't clear, please let me know.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #45
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbarlow View Post
I am specifically interested in MS eReader and Abode Digital.
I don't think Secure Adobe ebooks are likely to be readable on most handheld devices.

If you can't get MS Reader working, it is very easy to use "ConvertLIT GUI" (Google) to strip the DRM and "explode" the LIT file into an OEB ebook (HTML, Images and a OPF metadata file). Then import the .opf file into Windows MobiPocket Reader (or Creator) to produce a MobiPocket PRC file. There are other methods to go from LIT to MOBI, but this is one of the easiest.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote