Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Post Rizal, José: Noli me tángere. (Spanish) v.2 27-July-2010

José Rizal (1861-1896) was a Filipino physician and writer, an advocate for reforms in the Philippines during the Spanish colonial period. He travelled through Europe, Japan and the United States, but was always involved with his homeland politics and culture. Although he never endorsed violence, he was accused of rebellion, sedition and conspiracy, and was executed near Manila in 1896. He is today considered a national hero of Philippines, where there is even a province named after him.

"Noli me tángere" (Latin for "touch me not") was his first novel, published in Berlin in 1887. It tells the story of Juan Crisóstomo Ibarra, a young Filipino who returns to his home town in Philippines after his studies in Europe, and how he tries to improve the conditions of the people there, while fighting both the religious establishment and the more violent rebellious people. It clearly does not paint a nice picture of the Philippines society of the time, but it's also not a one-sided story against the colonial government. It is sad that most Filipinos today can't read this novel in the original Spanish.

There is a sequel: El filibusterismo.

This version is based on an annotated edition, to which I have added the notes of the English translation by Charles Derbyshire (translated into Spanish). I have also updated the spelling (mostly accents) and punctuation, and added a map of the region where the story develops.

EDIT (v2): Fixed a few typos and formatting tags.

(previous download count: 53)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Noli me tangere.epub (702.3 KB, 770 views)

Last edited by Jellby; 07-27-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thank you for explaining that. When I saw "Noli me tangere (Spanish)", my immediate thought was "that's Latin, not Spanish!".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you for explaining that. When I saw "Noli me tangere (Spanish)", my immediate thought was "that's Latin, not Spanish!".
That's why it has an accent on "tángere"

(It's still Latin, not Spanish, but "adapted" to Spanish spelling. I kept the accent because the author himself used it in the hand-drawn cover, as can be seen in the Wikipedia article).
Old 04-18-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Interesting - thanks. An entirely new work for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Fixed just a few typos and formatting issues. Uploaded v2.
Advert

Tags
español, philippines, spanish