Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #16
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
@frabjous
Yes, when I browsed through your files there wasn't so much math in it. I was thinking more about the things in the background of the website that you mentioned. I remember that I read a Russel book a long time ago when I was a student that had that kind of notation. I might even have a copy somewhere at home. For that kind of work it would be much easier to do the LaTeX->HTML conversion than the other way around, I think.
And it is a pity that MathML is not yet supported in ePub, other than as XML islands. It is possible, however, to convert MathML to SVG, but I haven't tried that.

Last edited by pietvo; 01-26-2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: added @frabjous
pietvo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #17
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
But, how can I make this cover page ignore the margins, header and footer of my document? The header and footer don't get shown (\thispagestyle{empty}) but the space is still reserved...
Hmm... For that I think you'd better delve into the fascinating world of TikZ (though I think memoir has something to change margins for a single page...). It also has an excellent manual, with tutorial included. In my tex file you can find a simple cover made with TikZ, but if you just want to put an image, it can be even simpler.

Code:
But I don't like the way the chapter names are shown.  Also, the header "Content" has the same layout as the other chapters of the book.  How can I make it different?  (so, no spacing above the Content header, for example, and a smaller font for the chapter names?)
You can change the layout of the contents, of course. For the header, define a new chapter style, use \chapterstyle{new} before \tableofcontents and then \chapterstyle{simple} after that.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Hmm... For that I think you'd better delve into the fascinating world of TikZ (though I think memoir has something to change margins for a single page...). It also has an excellent manual, with tutorial included. In my tex file you can find a simple cover made with TikZ, but if you just want to put an image, it can be even simpler.
I was afraid of that Well, another point in my to-do list!

Quote:
You can change the layout of the contents, of course. For the header, define a new chapter style, use \chapterstyle{new} before \tableofcontents and then \chapterstyle{simple} after that.
ahh, so if I put \chapterstyle in my preamble, it will work for every single page, and if I put it in the body, it will work from that point onwards?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ahh, so if I put \chapterstyle in my preamble, it will work for every single page, and if I put it in the body, it will work from that point onwards?
In both cases it works from that point onwards, but since the preamble occurs before any content... you get it

The same applies to pagestyles, but some special pages may use particular styles (like the first page of a chapter, or a blank page).
Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In both cases it works from that point onwards, but since the preamble occurs before any content... you get it

The same applies to pagestyles, but some special pages may use particular styles (like the first page of a chapter, or a blank page).
Good, it works!

When I wanted to transform the book I'm currently reading, I immediately came across a table... Naturally...

So, I figured that one out as well.

But that book has parts. I found out how to not let it print the part number (like the chapter number), but how can I make a new style for a part?
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #21
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
But that book has parts. I found out how to not let it print the part number (like the chapter number), but how can I make a new style for a part?
I don't think memoir defines proper part styles, but you can change almost every aspect of how parts look like. Have a look at sec 6.4 of the memoir manual, you want to define some or all of: \beforepartskip, \afterpartskip, \midpartskip, \printpartname, \partnamefont, \partnamenum, \printpartnum, \partnumfont, \printparttitle, \parttitlefont...

Note that chapter numbers are not reset by default when a new part starts, if you want every part to start with chapter 1, you could issue a \numberwithout*{chapter}{part}. But you probably have chapter and part numbers hardcoded in your source HTML, so you can ignore this.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #22
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Quote:
But, how can I make this cover page ignore the margins, header and footer of my document? The header and footer don't get shown (\thispagestyle{empty}) but the space is still reserved...
The following code does that:
Code:
\usepackage[absolute]{textpos}
\thispagestyle{empty}
\begin{textblock*}{\paperwidth}(0mm,0mm)
  \noindent\includegraphics[width=\paperwidth,height=\paperheight]{cover.jpg}
\end{textblock*}
\null
\clearpage
Old 01-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Note that chapter numbers are not reset by default when a new part starts, if you want every part to start with chapter 1, you could issue a \numberwithout*{chapter}{part}. But you probably have chapter and part numbers hardcoded in your source HTML, so you can ignore this.
Yes, that's why I had to figure out how to turn off the automatic part numbering as well (set the \setsecnumdepth to book instead of part...)
Old 01-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #24
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Looks like pietvo gave perfect advice for changing the margins on the titlepage, but I was going to suggest trying gmeometric package, which allows you to use different geometry-package settings in different parts of the document. I don't have a lot of experience with that, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
@frabjous
Yes, when I browsed through your files there wasn't so much math in it. I was thinking more about the things in the background of the website that you mentioned. I remember that I read a Russel book a long time ago when I was a student that had that kind of notation.
The background image is a modified scan of a page of Russell and Whitehead's Principia Mathematica, which I GIMPed up to make it look aged and coffee-stained. You probably don't have the complete book (which is a three volume behemoth, published from 1910-1914), but you might have an abridgment.

Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy was written as sort of a beginner-friendly non-technical introduction to Principia Mathematica. Anyway, the background is just a scan, though I definitely wouldn't think to try to recreate that kind of technical material with anything but (Xe)LaTeX. I wouldn't even try to convert to HTML unless MathML were an option.

And unfortunately, SVG support isn't much better than MathML support right now.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #25
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

At least SVG is required in the spec, which MathML isn't.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #26
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Which spec is that, Jellby? ePub?

I just meant on browsers.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #27
pietvo
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
The background image is a modified scan of a page of Russell and Whitehead's Principia Mathematica
Oh yes, I now remember. It was hard reading.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:20 AM   #28
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Which spec is that, Jellby? ePub?

I just meant on browsers.
Oh, yes, I meant ePub, sorry.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
The following code does that:
Code:
\usepackage[absolute]{textpos}
\thispagestyle{empty}
\begin{textblock*}{\paperwidth}(0mm,0mm)
  \noindent\includegraphics[width=\paperwidth,height=\paperheight]{cover.jpg}
\end{textblock*}
\null
\clearpage
Thanks, that did the trick!

Now I need to clean up my HTML a bit, as I noticed I'm using different name classes for the same functions (across my sources, that is)
Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #30
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

I almost have my format ready, except that the page number of my toc goes into the right margin. According to the Memoir Class Manual, I should enter:

Code:
\renewcommand{\@pnumwidth}{3em}
\renewcommand{\@tocrmarg}{4em}
but that only gives me an error.

Code:
! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.50 \renewcommand{\@pnumwidth}
                               {3em}
?

If I comment those two lines out, it will build the PDF...

Last edited by Sweetpea; 02-01-2010 at 10:00 AM.