Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-02-2017, 11:35 PM   #1
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
copy all kindle cloud content to device?

hi folks: i'd like to know if anyone knows how i can move all my purchased content on the kindle content and devices page to my new oasis without selecting them 10 at a time as i have about 500 items and it's very tedious.

i've tried every trick i know and am getting nowhere. i also found out that even in the mac kindle app you can't select more than one item at a time to download. i looked on my amazon drive and the files aren't stored there either.

also, these are duplicates of ones i've already got on the device from calibre and if i manage to do it i'll need to know how to tell which ones are from the kindle cloud and which ones from calibre. again, i've pulled every trick out of my hat and it's like amazon has purposely blocked every attempt at doing either one of these operations.

and yes, i can go into the two files and usually one will have the /x-ray/ field lit up and i know that's the cloud item. but again, 500 files and that is impractical.

oh, and the reason i want to do this is to get the benefits and features of the amazon files as opposed to the calibre versions which necessarily have to strip all but the text to convert to .mobi.

oh, and i've looked in the kindle drive mounted on my desktop and i can tell from the way the files and folders are named and sorted which ones came from the cloud and which from caliber, but this doesn't do me any good as when i'm on the kindle i can't see any difference.

also, once i got all the .azw files on my kindle i was planning on putting them in a collection so i'd know these aren't the ones from calibre. but when playing with creating a collection i discovered that if you create one locally (on the kindle), the /contents/ page doesn't recognize it. and the reverse is true--create one on the /contents/ page and the kindle won't see it. crazy stuff all around and it's pretty obvious amazon doesn't hire any usability testers with any sense.

thanks! /guy

Last edited by gteague; 11-02-2017 at 11:39 PM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:50 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
To be able to read already downloaded files/copies of purchased books copied from one Kindle device to another you must remove DRM from those books (or redownload them 10 at a time).

Simplest way to do that would be to create new Calibre library, install deDRM plugin (if you're not already using it), connect Kindle #1 and import/add all books to Calibre library (while importing deDRM plugin will remove DRM protection where necessary) , connect Kindle #2, select whole library and click on "Send to Device" to transfer them all to your new Kindle (Kindle #2).

Last edited by shamanNS; 11-03-2017 at 07:53 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

i'm willing to do the 10-at-a-time deal if i have to. i have around 500 books from amazon, but many of those were free and i just wanted to sample them. so ii could cut my list down to about 200 or so and that wouldn't be that hard to do.

so, once i have those 200 on my kindle they duplicate the same title already on it from calibre converting the original .azw to .mobi which strips out any 'features' amazon adds to them. so let's say i have two copies of game of thrones, one with the x-ray feature and one without.

now, on calibre i can tell them apart. and i can even tell them apart in the filesystem when i mount the kindle storage on the desktop. but on the kindle i haven't found a way to tell them apart other than going into both of them to see if the x-ray button lights up.

yes, i could simply go into the filesystem and delete the calibre versions, but then calibre would be 'out of sync' with the kindle and it wouldn't be as easy to see which titles i need to move to the kindle.

another workaround is to search for the title and then go into each copy to see which is which, but if i'm just browsing around the kindle i might not even realize there is an amazon copy there with all the features the calibre copy lacks.

i'm probably alone in trying to force organization on a system which is very hostile to trying to do anything outside what they imagine is all the user needs. in many places amazon has literally had to arrange things solely to limit the user in what they can do. and that always pisses me off and turns me into a hacker.

/guy
Old 11-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
i'm willing to do the 10-at-a-time deal if i have to. i have around 500 books from amazon, but many of those were free and i just wanted to sample them. so ii could cut my list down to about 200 or so and that wouldn't be that hard to do.
I find it easiest to switch to "ALL" view on the Kindle and tap the covers of the books I want to download. I can queue up books more quickly that way than on the web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
yes, i could simply go into the filesystem and delete the calibre versions, but then calibre would be 'out of sync' with the kindle and it wouldn't be as easy to see which titles i need to move to the kindle.
Calibre is supposed to be able to link the copy downloaded from Amazon to the same book in your calibre library. You should not need two two copies of the same book on your Kindle.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
gteague
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I find it easiest to switch to "ALL" view on the Kindle and tap the covers of the books I want to download. I can queue up books more quickly that way than on the web site.
my /all/ view contains nearly 6000 books. that's a _lot_ of pages to flip. if there was an option to only show the books i need to download that would be one thing, but evidently that's too easy for amazon.

Quote:
Calibre is supposed to be able to link the copy downloaded from Amazon to the same book in your calibre library. You should not need two two copies of the same book on your Kindle.
when the oasis is connected, calibre shows in the /device/ field '(2 books). and indeed there are two books on the kindle so i can't see that any combining or linking is taking place. is there something in the setting i need to tweak?

tks, /guy
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
gteague
Zealot

i just found out the reason for the (2) in the device field for certain books. those are the ones i transferred from amazon via wifi to the oasis and they are in the new ?kfx? format which calibre won't recognize. thus, it can't 'link' or 'combine' them as you describe, is my guess.

you can tell by going through the /remove from device/ dialogue and it'll show you what formats it sees for the duplicate title.

now, if somehow i could get the kindle to just show me these titles in that format i could ensure i'm reading the copy which doesn't have any of the features stripped out. maybe i could put some sort of 'tag' on those titles in the kindle storage, but i seriously doubt that would work as i think the kindle reads the title at a deeper level than what is displayed to the operating system on the kindle storage.

/guy