Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 03-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #1
the_doc
Connoisseur
the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Hanlin v3; Kobo Mini
New KoReader update doesn't work in my device.

Hi, I have been using this KoReader version "koreader-kobo-arm-linux-gnueabihf-v2015.11-106-gd9b55af" until today without problems.
Today I have tried several times to update to the last version "koreader-kobo-arm-linux-gnueabihf-v2015.11-253-gcf9dc26". First I tried with the OTA service, and later manually, connecting the device to the computer.
When I try to start Kobo pushing in its icon I see the KO Reader logo for a couple of seconds and then the device restarts.
If I install the previous version KoReader works again.
I have a Kobo Mini with firmware 3.17.3 and I use fmon to start KoReader. I have PBChess in my Kobo and it starts well with fmon.
Any advice?

EDIT: Solved in version 2015.11-330.

Last edited by the_doc; 04-18-2016 at 03:09 PM.
the_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe try the latest 3.19 version firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
the_doc
Connoisseur
the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Yes, I could try that or I could try to start KoReader with KSM 07 or 08, but that is not the question.
The last koreader update should work with any of the last Kobo firmwares and with fmonitor without problems.
What I want to know is if I can make koreader starts editing some configuration file or if this problem is a bug that can be solved by the developpers.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Known issue (I renamed a variable that KSM checked to detect if KOReader is recent enough for, err, something? . Since I don't use KSM, and the change semeed harmless enough, it slipped through both my tests and code review).

This'll be fixed in the next nightlies, my bad .

EDIT: Fixed packages should be up (>= v2015.11-261).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-15-2016 at 08:37 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Not sure that issue relates to fmon not working to launch KOReader. There is other code there that checks and deals with if Nickel was running. Perhaps some of that was effected?
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2016, 11:29 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Whee, I somehow skipped the first post and missed the fmon mention. Yay me.

AFAIK, for all intents and purposes, running it through fmon basically equates to what I'm doing manually over SSH, so, that shouldn't have impacted anything.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:57 PM   #7
djalma
djalma doesn't litterdjalma doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I don't know if it's related, probably not :P , but anyway jftr, I previously tested koreader (stable 2015 if I don't remember bad) & fmon, with a random 2MB-3MB epub file and everytime I tried loading it, it frozen the device. I checked the same epub using KSM08 and it worked well. On the other hand, I feel koreader launched with KSM more "light"-"quick" than when I used it with fmon (feels heavier).
Regards.

Last edited by djalma; 03-16-2016 at 12:12 AM.
djalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:31 AM   #8
the_doc
Connoisseur

At djalma. Nope, it is not related. I don't have configurated my KoReader to start with the last open book. It starts (when it works) with the explorer of archives.
At NiLuJe. I'll check the new version when it is available.
Fmonitor works with KoReader version 2015.11-106 (and previous versions) and it works with PBChess.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
the_doc
Connoisseur

I have tried last development version today (version 2015.11-276 of March 23, 2016).
It doesn't start either. I updated from the computer through USB without success. After that I installed again version 2015.11-106 (this version works) and updated from KoReader with OTA wifi and version 276 didn't work either.
Thinking that maybe something in my configuration of KoReader was the problem I deleted the KoReader directory in my Kobo and I made a clean installation of last development version. KoReader still doesn't start.
Some change introduced by the developpers after version 106 has broken compatibility with fmon, Kobo Mini and firmware 3.17-3.
Back to version 106 that works.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So why not try the latest 3.19 firmware and see if fmon/KOread works?
Old 03-27-2016, 04:16 AM   #11
the_doc
Connoisseur

Because I like 3.17.3.
And I tried KSM and I didn't like it.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:38 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_doc View Post
Because I like 3.17.3.
And I tried KSM and I didn't like it.
I've used 3.17.3 and the latest 3.19 is better. You've not tried the latest 3.19, so there is no way you can say 3.17.3 is better. You seem to b the only one with these specific problems. So in order to try to fix things, update your firmware and see what happens.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
the_doc
Connoisseur

Hi,

I have installed KSM 08. The old KoReader development version (2015.11-106) that I had installed starts (from KSM and from fmon). I have updated to the last development version and I cannot start it from KSM either. From KSM I can start Nickel, PBChess and all the other options that I have tried, except the last version of KoReader.

Too lazy to try Nickel 3.19 because I would have to install all the patches too. I'll wait for version 3.20.

EDIT: I have KoReader installed in /.kobo/koreader.

Last edited by the_doc; 03-27-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #14
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Move it to .adds directory, just copy everything there from .kobo directory.

KSM 8 looks only in .adds directory.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #15
the_doc
Connoisseur

KSM8 starts my old KoReader development version (2015.11-106) that is installed in /.kobo/koreader.
And with KSM8 I can start PBChess too that is in /.kobo/vlasovsoft.

EDIT:

I have updated from version 2015.11-106 to 2015.11-175 and it works with fmon. I guess it will work with KSM too.
So, it seems the problems was introduced between versions 175 and 253.

Last edited by the_doc; 03-28-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Tags
fmon, kobo mini, koreader, update problems