Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Save template for title metadata?

I see you recently added a way to customize the file name and path when sending to a device.

Is there a similar setting for customizing the title in the metadata? It would be very convenient if when I sent to my Kindle, I could change the title to "title - series[#]"

Does this exist somewhere? Or should I open a feature request?

Thanks!
Bob Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, it doesn't, and I'm not going to implement it. Use the catalog feature if you want to maintain large collections of books on your kindle.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

It's not really about maintaining large collections of books, it's more about not remembering the exact sequence of books in a series when I'm using the Kindle.

I don't see that the catalog feature helps me with that.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your catalog will have books ordered by series.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Bob Butler
Connoisseur

Ah, sorry. I missed that. I thought you meant this catalog feature:

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...talog#catalogs

Yes, that will work for me. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
Bob Butler
Connoisseur

I would still like to see this feature. The catalog feature, while nice, is just not very convenient for this purpose.

As I understand it, you write the metadata when you copy the ebook to the device anyway. Why not an option to append "(Series Vol#)" to the end of the title?
Old 03-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Basically because it leads to option creep and lots of inelegant code that breaches the internal separation into modules of various parts of calibre.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:39 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Butler View Post
I would still like to see this feature. The catalog feature, while nice, is just not very convenient for this purpose.

As I understand it, you write the metadata when you copy the ebook to the device anyway. Why not an option to append "(Series Vol#)" to the end of the title?
An alternate suggestion to help you is to place the metadata in each book. This way opening to the first page beyond the cover will tell you what series/# it is. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metadata_page_insert_example.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	47578  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
Jaelle
Jaelle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
An alternate suggestion to help you is to place the metadata in each book. This way opening to the first page beyond the cover will tell you what series/# it is. See attached.
I like the way that looks. But going through preferences, the only place I see that option is for file conversions. So I take it there's no way to have that metadata page added to say an Amazon ebook file that has DRM when sending to device or saving to disk?

I'm new to Calibre so going through finding tips to help me use the program better.

Thanks!
Jaelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaelle View Post
I like the way that looks. But going through preferences, the only place I see that option is for file conversions. So I take it there's no way to have that metadata page added to say an Amazon ebook file that has DRM when sending to device or saving to disk?
You're correct. The only way this page gets inserted is during conversion.

The create catalog feature (dropdown menu by conversions) creates an entire book of book jackets very similar to to the one I showed. Many Kindle users praise this feature. Give it a try.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Jaelle
Jaelle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You're correct. The only way this page gets inserted is during conversion.

The create catalog feature (dropdown menu by conversions) creates an entire book of book jackets very similar to to the one I showed. Many Kindle users praise this feature. Give it a try.
Thanks for confirming. And the catalog feature is exactly why I got Calibre!
Jaelle is offline   Reply With Quote