Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #271
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
/* snark mode on */

At the risk of offending:

Robertb -- must you turn EVERY thread into a free advertisement for Astak?

I've read all the pages of this thread up until now and NOT ONCE did I see anyone ask "Gee, I wonder what Astak thinks about this?"

/* snark mode off */
I'm with you. For us users the forum is free, but as a commercial user that offers nothing of value except advertisements for his company, I think Robertb should pay Mobileread a few hundred dollars per post for injecting ads in an ad-free forum. Then Mobileread could do those upgrades they've been wanting to do.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #272
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
purl4peace:

I said I support what Sony did! I said we are compiling a list of websites where end users can go to buy ADE books. How on earth am I advertising for Astak with that? I am trying to say: "Good, Sony, we like your style there". Then Wallcraft asked where else you can buy ADE ebooks and I tried to answer.

I think I also have a right to state my opinion. Still, I see your point and appreciate your comments.
I agree... you have every right to represent yourself and state your personal opinion.

Since you see my point, I'll explain this to others who may not:

I believe there is a difference between saying:

1. "I support what Sony did" and
2. "Astak agrees.... All Astak readers...."

#1 is YOUR opinion. #2 reads like an "official released statement" from Astak.

Thanks for your appreciation ;-)

Last edited by purl4peace; 08-13-2009 at 09:33 PM.
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #273
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
bookmaking, bookbinding cabbages and epub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
So humanity will discard the vast bulk of the centuries old art of typography and bookmaking in the transition to electronic books (arts which are, by the way, totally and completely about making reading a more pleasant experience), .

- Ahi
Just a quick clarification "I hope you are refering to business of bookmaking and not the art of bookbinding..which as you say is about making reading, writing and the use of the senses when having a book in your hands and on a shelf...yes I bookbind. I mere dabbler but still...handmade papers, leather, sewen binds truly should still be considered true art.

Having said my piece on the book...having reread the news release concerning the epub and prs 500 I am not sure that software will be to facilitate existing books, but rather books to be bought in the future using connect..I hope this will be further clarified on Aug. 25th I shudder at calling
tech support truly a nightmare, of which my last several still loom large in my memories..
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #274
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Wow I'm impressed and very pleased to read this. Great move on Sony's part. Who would have thought Sony of all companies would be going with something non-proprietary?
I couldn't agree more. Sony and non-propriety are not usually in the same sentence, hell, even in the same website!

Congrats Sony for having the thoughts/guts
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #275
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
And at least Adobe's DRM has been cracked.
Can they patch it and disable the cracks once Adobe DRM has been widely adopted and go MUAHAHAH? I'm not a tech wizard so I'm not sure.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #276
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Can they patch it and disable the cracks once Adobe DRM has been widely adopted and go MUAHAHAH? I'm not a tech wizard so I'm not sure.
Not without updating or abandoning existing devices.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #277
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
I'm with you. For us users the forum is free, but as a commercial user that offers nothing of value except advertisements for his company, I think Robertb should pay Mobileread a few hundred dollars per post for injecting ads in an ad-free forum. Then Mobileread could do those upgrades they've been wanting to do.

The polite thing for him to do, at least, would be to stick to his own threads. He's not fooling anyone that he comes here for any other reason than to flog his wares. Yes, he's a 'member', but it's for one reason only.

His never missing a chance to inject Astak into every discussion is really getting on my nerves. And certainly not winning me over to the Dark Side.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:25 AM   #278
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Not without updating or abandoning existing devices.
So unlike DRM for DVD's, they can't update the software so that it continues to support older DRM schemes yet update it and say basically, all new epub books sold now will use the new schemes and can't be de-drmed using current cracks?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:33 AM   #279
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
if they update it, someone will crack it again soon.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #280
MerLock
Evangelist

But that's the trouble with DRM. Always looking for ways to crack it. If I buy something it shouldn't be that hard right?

That's the way I feel about current ebooks. Too much hassle in terms of finding how to crack the DRM and formatting issues. I want to just buy a book and be able to enjoy it without having to worry what I can read it on and how I want to read it. Just like a pbook.

And i'm not too sure, I don't think anyone's cracked Sony's DRM, but then again, maybe it's not popular for anyone to really try.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:01 AM   #281
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
LRX has not been cracked. It was fairly well designed
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:11 AM   #282
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
2. So who sells epub books right now?
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:15 AM   #284
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BooksOnBoard also sell ePub books, I believe. And obviously Baen do too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:18 AM   #285
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You can find which retailers sell OverDrive's Adobe ePubs here: http://search.overdrive.com/retail/

Last edited by RobbieClarken; 08-14-2009 at 03:27 AM.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote