Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question Glitch with page numbers (!) in Digital Editions

A friend just showed me how my recently published epub-book looks in his computer. He runs Digital Editions and told me he had a problem with footnotes.

Actually the problem was not foonotes (they are in blue and easily recognizable) but with something looking like page numbers!

These numbers, as far as I could see progressing just like page numbers, collided with my text, sitting on top of the text so to speak.

How can this be?
GraciousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That's the way it's always been on the desktop version of ADE, AKAIK. I believe that's what people used the special Adobe template file to remedy (among other things). The only other solution is to hardcode margins into the ePub (not really very desireable, though) to keep from overlapping the page numbers (which just happen).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-09-2013 at 12:27 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
If I understand the problem correctly they can be turned off in the menu path Reading>Hide Page Numbers.

It is a toggle which switches between "Hide Page Numbers" and "Show Page Numbers" and if I recall correctly the default upon installation of ADE is for them to be shown.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Must be on the newest version of ADE. I have no such option on v1.7. I may have to break down and upgrade to 2.0 before they force me to.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Must be on the newest version of ADE. I have no such option on v1.7...
When the page numbers popped up in ADE 2.0 I could not recall ever having to have turned them off in earlier editions, but at the time I was not sure if that was so .

So, you have confirmed that they are indeed an ADE 2.0 "enhancement" . As GraciousMe says, they float over the text which appeared weird to me too.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
i know ADE had/has a feature to write page numbers to an epub that would correspond to the print copy via a page-map.xml file, so it could be that?

there's some info here and here about Adobe's page-map

Last edited by mzmm; 01-10-2013 at 07:59 AM.
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
JeanneLaska
JeanneLaska began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook
That sounds very similar to a problem I've had.

The problem appeared on a Kobo reader: not only were there arbitrary page numbers (following a set number of words rather than the layout chosen by the Kobo's owner), but those page numbers were literally on the text, as GraciousMe reported.

My ePub was created with Sigil (and this problem has not been reported yet on other ePub reading devices). Owner of Kobo said he's never seen this problem before (other ebooks were mostly purchased on the Kobo site).

Any chance either he or I can do something about it? Does that sound like a feature of Kobo, or something I can tell my ePub not to do? I'm really at a loss.
JeanneLaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneLaska View Post

The problem appeared on a Kobo reader: not only were there arbitrary page numbers (following a set number of words rather than the layout chosen by the Kobo's owner), but those page numbers were literally on the text, as GraciousMe reported.

My ePub was created with Sigil (and this problem has not been reported yet on other ePub reading devices). Owner of Kobo said he's never seen this problem before (other ebooks were mostly purchased on the Kobo site).

Any chance either he or I can do something about it? Does that sound like a feature of Kobo, or something I can tell my ePub not to do? I'm really at a loss.
for ADE 1.7, I do 2 things
1)in my body class
Code:
.calibre {
    display: block;
    font-size: 1.2em;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 2pt;
    margin-right: 16pt;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0;
    text-align: justify
    }
2) I read with a zoom level 3, thus shrinking the page number so that 3 digits fit within the now right margin.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
He (the owner of Kobo) can do something about it. He can have his programmers update the firmware such that it is using the latest version of ADE that does not have the page number on the right side of the screen.

While he's getting his programmers to do that, can you also get him to get his programmers to fix the embedded font bug where it ignores the font-family CSS directive to use a specific embedded font if the font-family is placed in the body style. See the code box for an example.

Code:
body {
font-family: Charis;
widows: 0;
orphans: 0
}
The font-family above is supposed to use the font labeled Charis (elsewhere in the CSS would be the font definition). But All Kobo Readers ignore this and it breaks a lot of embedded fonts in a lot of ePub as most publishers put the font-family for the main embedded font in the body style.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-13-2013 at 05:31 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
He (the owner of Kobo) can do something about it. He can have his programmers update the firmware such that it is using the latest version of ADE that does not have the page number on the right side of the screen.

While he's getting his programmers to do that, can you also get him to get his programmers to fix the embedded font bug where it ignores the font-family CSS directive to use a specific embedded font if the font-family is placed in the body style. See the code box for an example.

Code:
body {
font-family: Charis;
widows: 0;
orphans: 0;
}
The font-family above is supposed to use the font labeled Charis (elsewhere in the CSS would be the font definition). But All Kobo Readers ignore this and it breaks a lot of embedded fonts in a lot of ePub as most publishers put the font-family for the main embedded font in the body style.
It ignores this because the style is malformed (red),
for consistency I always include the optional last semicolon (blue)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It ignores this because the style is malformed (red),
for consistency I always include the optional last semicolon (blue)
Ooops! I left out the semicolon when typing in that CSS. My mistake. I'll go fix it now. Thanks for catching it.

Now my turn to catch an error with your semicolon. Your blue one is actually green.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
JeanneLaska
JeanneLaska began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook
OK, all written down!
JeanneLaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

They're not exactly arbitrary page numbers, they're page numbers based on an ADE definition of a "page" in a reflowable epub ebook being 1024 btyes. (Everyone uses a different font, font size, margin, etc - we have to agree on what constitutes a "page" somehow.)

You can simply turn their display off in page 2 of the Reading Settings, "Page Numbers In Margins". Alternatively, if you prefer to see them, you could set your margin a little wider.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
They're not exactly arbitrary page numbers, they're page numbers based on an ADE definition of a "page" in a reflowable epub ebook being 1024 btyes. (Everyone uses a different font, font size, margin, etc - we have to agree on what constitutes a "page" somehow.)
Why not just use the ADE method? It doesn't change with different fonts, different margins, different font sizes, etc. It's a good method. It's not perfect, but it works.