Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Transform Styles to select specific line-height

I don't know how many times I open a book after conversion and find that the author has indicated the line height to be 150%, 1.5, or more. I already autoconvert all books to remove extra lines between paragraphs, but what is the "transform styles" that could be applied for line height, considering each book has different ways of indicating line-height.
Incoming=
line-height: 150%
line-height: 150%;
line-height: 1.5;
line-height: 200%;

transform style= line-height: 1.2;
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are wanting to change the line-height on a Kindle? If so, don't bother. It won't matter. Kindle's ignore line-heights of (I think) 1.2em or less and the default is 1.2em.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2017, 11:33 PM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are wanting to change the line-height on a Kindle? If so, don't bother. It won't matter. Kindle's ignore line-heights of (I think) 1.2em or less and the default is 1.2em.
That's incorrect. 1.2 is the minimum, but css can increase it.

But if this is meant for a books for eareaders,, why not simply strip out line-height,,, (with a caveat, that will mess up some drop caps.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:08 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
That's incorrect. 1.2 is the minimum, but css can increase it.

But if this is meant for a books for eareaders,, why not simply strip out line-height,,, (with a caveat, that will mess up some drop caps.)
I did say Kindle ignores line-heights of 1.2em or less. So yes, I said the same thing just in a different way. So no it's not incorrect.

Simple solution, don't use drop caps.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I can say that stripping the line height does kill the book's formatting, and as for Kindles, they certainly do allow for line height adjustment. This is one of my biggest pet-peeves. I like the line spacing to be pretty close, but if the author has both increased the line height and more often than not added spacing between paragraphs, I end up with pages holding only a few sentences. So I have learned to open each book upon receiving it and edit for height. After that I so a pre-set convert so that the rest of it is formatted.

I also am not sure exactly what the "pt" means on the line height ajustment. Would that convert to 100's? 1.2 = 120%?
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2017, 06:03 AM   #6
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I don't know how many times I open a book after conversion and find that the author has indicated the line height to be 150%, 1.5, or more. I already autoconvert all books to remove extra lines between paragraphs, but what is the "transform styles" that could be applied for line height, considering each book has different ways of indicating line-height.
Incoming=
line-height: 150%
line-height: 150%;
line-height: 1.5;
line-height: 200%;

transform style= line-height: 1.2;
Hi, I do a similar thing, although I remove the line-heights rather than change them.

Attached is an image which shows you what settings you need to do to convert most line heights above a certain amount to line-height: 1.2em (change to suit).

Note the use of unitless 1.2 in the "greater than" field. This will automatically do a conversion for you, and is (roughly) equivalent to 120% or 1.2em.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TransformStyles-LineHeight.png
Views:	184
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	157476  
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote