Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #31
MyBBplaybookJS
MyBBplaybookJS began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
Foggynight if you are referring to non DRM books you need a third party app. The best of which available as a native app (and I avoid android ported apps like the plague they are) is Book Reader. There are a number of websites that have public domain books available free for download. There are also a number of sites that offer DRM free books.
MyBBplaybookJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #32
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBBplaybookJS View Post
Foggynight if you are referring to non DRM books you need a third party app. The best of which available as a native app (and I avoid android ported apps like the plague they are) is Book Reader. There are a number of websites that have public domain books available free for download. There are also a number of sites that offer DRM free books.
Every site that is known to us is listed in the wiki. If you find more add them in. Note the free page is for sites that have only free eBooks while the store page includes the possibility that there are free books on the site as well as ones that cost money.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #33
insync44
insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thumbs up

After a thorough experimentation, as outlined in the Kobo Vox thread, I came upon the BB Playbook at my local BestBuy.ca. It cost $199 plus a two year replacement warranty, from the Store for free. after reading about all RIM's problems and negative Reviews I was reluctant to purchase but with a 30 day return policy I decided to take the plunge.

Thus far (3 days) I've grown to like the unit. The EReading with the "BookReader app" is great for all my non drm epub books. The OS and Browser is fast. I don't really care about NetFlix or downloading music, since I have a large movie (500-600) collection and an equally large music collection. The Playbook plays avi, mp4 and mkv movies without muss and fuss.

As an e reader I can finally read in the dark. A fantastic buy for $199 well built and solid. I don't really care about apps since they are only really short cuts. But its very easy to side load the apps you need without rooting.

A far superior unit to the Kobe Vox, which I had for 3 hours. It refused to go beyond updating and was a cheap looking unit vastly underpowered. The Kindle and Nook are useless in Canada, but even then I would not purchase. They are too proprietary, at least to me. The i pad 2. at $420 did not appeal. the Sony PRS T1, is a good EReader but, at $150, that's all it does which can get a trifle boring.

I love a unit where I can just drag and drop files without jumping through hoops. can't really understand the negative Reviews. Thus far I am happy with my purchase.

Last edited by insync44; 03-31-2012 at 09:49 PM.
insync44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #34
anagel
anagel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST-1, PRST-2, PRST-3, Nook, Samsung Galaxy tab, Kobo first gen
Can you explain how you load your ebooks on your playbook? I have Calibre and haven't tried to load ebooks yet but would like a clear simple set of instructions if anyone would care to elaborate. Thanks so much...
anagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #35
batkinson001
Kobo App user
batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
I just copied over some i had downloaded into the documents folder on the playbook and used ebook reader (99 ¢ on appworld). was able to browse to the folder and load the book. and loads text files quite nicely too.
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #36
aeroshooter
aeroshooter began at the beginning.

Device: playbook
Bookmarks ???

Still waiting for an app tht can handle pdfs bookmarks on the PB. Something like what Goodreader does for ipad.

If neone knows of such an app please let me know !!!! i've waited so long for PB to come up with something. Dont want to replace this device with an ipad just coz it cant handle bookmarks !!! damn irritating !!! Grrrrr....!!!!

aeroshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #37
sobol2
sobol2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Has anyone tried to download and use a travel guide on the playbook? I am considering buying one so I don't have to lug around several books throughout Europe, but I haven't heard of anyone that has tried to use a travel guide...just regular literature. Commetns?
sobol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #38
MyBBplaybookJS
MyBBplaybookJS began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
If they are available I'm sure you can read them on Playbook
MyBBplaybookJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #39
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
PlayBook is a great little eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by erk View Post
Has anyone had any success with the Playbook for ebook reading?
Yes, I recently got a PlayBook and find that it makes a great little eReader.
I use the Overdrive software a lot for library books.

After struggling with a Kobo Vox since Christmas it was a big improvement to switch to the PlayBook. It's fast, slick, and works just the way you think it should. The fact that it synch's nicely with GMail was a big bonus for me.

I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a 7-in eReader/Tablet. And for $200 it's great value for the money.

BTW, it puzzles me why the PlayBook is not featured more prominently on this MobileRead forum. Instead of being buried among alternative devices I think it should have it's own heading. I believe it's popularity and market share would warrant that. Hopefully the moderators will agree and fix this.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #40
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Well, I'm more than pleased to make my first post on this Forum about how grand my BB Playbook is for ereading!!!!

The Sony 6 inch e reader is just too small by an inch, lol.

I use Book Reader as my reading app and love the Sepia colour background .... I couldn't ever get a Sony background colour that suited.

Although, I do miss the numerous Sony dictionaries that were part of the Ereader.

In fact I regard my PB as essential to my daily life, and where I go it goes, lol!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #41
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re those questions in the previous pages on the formats that the PB can read .... I change all my ebooks formats to EPub via Calibre, which I use as my 'Library' so to speak.

The travel book question mentioned shouldn't be a prob to read if you use Calibre to change it to EPub, if it isn't already in that format.

Of course, I use various programs to free up my ebooks in order to load into Calibre.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #42
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anagel View Post
Can you explain how you load your ebooks on your playbook? I have Calibre and haven't tried to load ebooks yet but would like a clear simple set of instructions if anyone would care to elaborate. Thanks so much...
Anagel hi ..... do the following in order to side load Calibre based books onto your Playbook:

plug your PB into your pc

Open 'My Computer', flag key + E

Wait till you see that the Playbook drive is showing as one of the drives, and open out the file structure so that you can see Books

Open Calibre

Highlight the book/s that you want to 'Save to Disk' (one of the icon headings on the top line of Calibre)

Click on Save to Disk, and select Save only EPub format (if that's what you want)

When the dialogue box opens click on Books in the Playbook drive

The book/s will then copy onto your PB.

You will find them in Files and Folders.

Let me know how you go!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #43
bobandjoyce
bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpjrt View Post
I too love my Playbook. The Kobo book reader is predictably useless. I want to side load books ... and Bookreader at $ .99 works great!

It's lightning fast ... and you get to see real websites with Flash and not just the "mobile" sites that Ipad goes to ... with no Flash.

The new firmware coming in February will be interesting and should open up a whole vista of apps for those who want that. Frankly I'm not entirely sure that one could actually use all those apps ... but that's just me.

I like the size and portability of the Playbook. The screen is plenty big enough and it's easily held in one's hand. I found the Ipad when I saw the demo models at Future Shop to be too big to simply "hold" and too heavy at 1.35 lbs ... and I suspect that their portability is considerably less.

I don't care if the Playbook doesn't have a "native" email because, frankly, I get my email on my computer [home or office] and my Blackberry picks up my email from those accounts. Do I need yet a 3rd place to view them? If I do, Blackberry Bridge works well ...

I think that RIM was brilliant to release a finite number of Playbooks to sell at $300 below their usual retail value. That move put a whole bunch of Playbooks into the hands of consumers ...

Mary
Hi, glad to hear someone out there likes the Playbook...I have one too, but, so far have not been able to load any books onto it. Would it be possible for you to give me instructions?
I have many books loaded into Calibre, but, that is where it all stops. All my friends have Ipads and think I am nuts to keep this junk....but, I like it.
bobandjoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #44
bobandjoyce
bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.

Finally some positive PB comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Well, I'm more than pleased to make my first post on this Forum about how grand my BB Playbook is for ereading!!!!

The Sony 6 inch e reader is just too small by an inch, lol.

I use Book Reader as my reading app and love the Sepia colour background .... I couldn't ever get a Sony background colour that suited.

Although, I do miss the numerous Sony dictionaries that were part of the Ereader.

In fact I regard my PB as essential to my daily life, and where I go it goes, lol!
FINALLY some POSITIVE PB comments.....I am totally new to PB and really frustrated, would it be possible for you to give instructions to get books onto device? Got books from demanoid.me, into Calibre and need to know how to continue....and what format to convert to and where to send the books to and how to transfer to PB - TRIED USB AND WIRELESS and I can see books and read on computer, but, nothing goes to PB....I have worked over this now for 3 weeks....any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #45
bobandjoyce

need help with PLAYBOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnH View Post
I really like my playbook as a reader, I have used kobo, aldiko, epub, and like the Kindle app the best. I have been able to load my Library
New to this and not doing well at all....would you please detail how to get books to playbook...many thanks