Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-28-2022, 05:44 PM   #1
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
Glowlight Plus 7.8 - worth a punt?

I'm eyeing up one of these on ebay and would like to hear opinions from any owners.

I had a Simple Touch and it served me well for years but it had a bad habit of scrambling it's database after side loading new content - has the newer firmware improved this? I've been reading threads here for days but can't find info on this particular point (my fault, I'm sure).

Any input gratefully received
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:20 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I recently sold my 7.8" Nook, as I prefer Kobos or even Kindles software-wise. But I had no issues with sideloading to the Nook. I used only Calibre for sideloading, though, and didn't use shelves/collections.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:29 PM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I have the 6" version. Lovely screen. Beautiful orange backlight. Nice ereader. But I rooted it and installed relaunchX, so can't comment on the default software, though I found it flakey before I got rid of it.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:12 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I like the build, feel (and especially the screen) of its older, smaller brother, the GlowLight 3. Can't speak directly for the 7.8" GlowLight Plus, though.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:53 AM   #5
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your responses.

I'll admit I was hoping someone would say the newest firmware is stupendous so I could justify my unjustifiable purchase of yet another e-reader - oh well.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:04 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
Thanks for your responses.

I'll admit I was hoping someone would say the newest firmware is stupendous so I could justify my unjustifiable purchase of yet another e-reader - oh well.
I know how you feel.

I bought the Libra 2 solely because the new screen was said to be stupendous. I had two perfectly working 7" readers already, so I needed the Libra 2 as much as a second head. Well, at least the screen IS gorgeous, and I managed to sell my two older readers, which relieved my pangs of conscience a bit.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:37 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The software on nooks is dreadful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:20 PM   #8
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
I like the 7.8 GlowLight Plus! It's quite a bit slower than newer ereaders, so some patience needs to be expected when browsing the store or your library.

But the actual reading experience is fine! Extra screen real estate is nice.

If you know what you're getting into, and want a nice bump in screen size, and can get it at a nice price, I think it's worth it.
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:08 PM   #9
fathead
Connoisseur

Thank you, enablers��
Old 01-30-2022, 12:10 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I had a Simple Touch and it served me well for years but it had a bad habit of scrambling it's database after side loading new content
My Glowlight 3 does that. But to be honest, I think I have a screwed up database. My 2015 Glowlight Plus runs nearly identical firmware and there are no issues with sideloading.

On the 3, every time I connect it to sideload and unplug, it goes through all the books all over again. The books on the Home screen are just four random books and it forgets what book I am currently reading.

If I click the Currently Reading button on the home screen, it will open some random book I have opened in the past. But, if I search out the actual book being read, it remembers where I left off.

Also, the 3 never loses any books. It just gets amnesia each time I eject.

My 2015 Plus works perfectly. After sideloading and ejecting, on my home screen it will show whatever book I am currently reading and the other three will be the last three books I sideloaded.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 04:23 PM   #11
fathead
Connoisseur

Well, I bought it (of course I did)

£105 seemed like a good price for a BNIB device and it will hopefully be a solid backup for my Inkpad.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:45 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

£105 seemed like a good price for a BNIB device and it will hopefully be a solid backup for my Inkpad.

Thanks for all your help.
Not really all that solid. I bought a nook STR as a backup. I found it to be a very poor backup. The firmware is awful. IMHO, it is worth a punt. I just hope the punt is a good long kick.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:14 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Congratulations. As I mentioned earlier, I own the Glowlight 3 and like it (the best "warm" screen I've seen). I also like the location of the page turn buttons. I think the Glowlight Plus (7.8") will make a very good backup device. (I also have the smaller brother of your Inkpad, the PocketBook HD3.)
Old 01-30-2022, 11:06 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not really all that solid. I bought a nook STR as a backup. I found it to be a very poor backup. The firmware is awful.
Buddy, it's been a decade. Let it go.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:01 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Buddy, it's been a decade. Let it go.
I think a Nook ate his homework when he was a kid... or something like that.