Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2022, 01:02 PM   #1591
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Bits of Europe and mostly Library loans, which we shouldn't be mucking about with.
Yes. Perhaps an personal oddity but I find removing DRM from borrowed books to be repugnant.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #1592
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Yes. Perhaps an personal oddity but I find removing DRM from borrowed books to be repugnant.
Agreed. The clue is borrowed, not bought!
Regulars don't need reminded of my attitude to DRM on things I BUY. The library here is also totally free, though I think not LCP.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:50 PM   #1593
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
The library here is also totally free, though I think not LCP.
The MobileRead Library is not a lending library, but a giving library. No DRM on the books, which are all out of copyright in life+70 countries.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:09 PM   #1594
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
The library here is also totally free, though I think not LCP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The MobileRead Library is not a lending library, but a giving library. No DRM on the books, which are all out of copyright in life+70 countries.
English is a wonderously ambiguous language.

I think Quoth was referring to a physically local to him library.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #1595
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
English is a wonderously ambiguous language.

I think Quoth was referring to a physically local to him library.
Yes, the Irish County Library system. They only loan material.

I didn't mean the place where you are accessing to read this, or where you are reading, but "here" meant the physical place where I am writing this. My location is under my Avatar .
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:49 AM   #1596
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (retired), Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Yes, the Irish County Library system. They only loan material.

I didn't mean the place where you are accessing to read this, or where you are reading, but "here" meant the physical place where I am writing this. My location is under my Avatar .
Ah, you live in the prosperous area of Posts: 4,123.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:28 AM   #1597
Ansem_93
Zealot
Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hi everyone.
right now I have a Kindle but I wanted to buy a Kobo libra 2.
Since I would like to buy books I have a three options:
1) Amazon
2) Kobo Store
3) third party stores with adobe DRM (.acsm)

Right now I don't have any issue removing amazon DRM, but I don't know how good noDRM 10.0.2 works with Kobo and Adobe DRM. Do you have any experience? Where should I buy books in order to remove them easily?
Ansem_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:34 AM   #1598
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Kobo is where I buy most of my books, and I have no issues using noDRM's tools with them.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 01:16 PM   #1599
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
Hi everyone.
1) Amazon
2) Kobo Store

Right now I don't have any issue removing amazon DRM, but I don't know how good noDRM 10.0.2 works with Kobo and Adobe DRM. Do you have any experience? Where should I buy books in order to remove them easily?
The overwhelming majority of the books that I buy I buy from Amazon. I then put them in calibre which removes the DRM using the plugin, then convert them to EPUB, then send them to my Kobo.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 02:21 PM   #1600
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Hi everyone.
1) Amazon
2) Kobo Store

Just buy them wherever you want to. They all use the same DRM on epubs. The only store that doesn't is Barnes & Noble and they don't sell to Europe anyway. If you buy an epub somewhere else than at the kobostore, you'll most likely get an ascm file, which has to be opened with adobe before uploading to Calibre. Or you install the plugin to process ascm files directly through Calibre.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:05 PM   #1601
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3
I have had no issues with Amazon, Kobo or Google Play books.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #1602
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Just buy them wherever you want to. They all use the same DRM on epubs. The only store that doesn't is Barnes & Noble and they don't sell to Europe anyway. If you buy an epub somewhere else than at the kobostore, you'll most likely get an ascm file, which has to be opened with adobe before uploading to Calibre. Or you install the plugin to process ascm files directly through Calibre.
That's not quite true, Apple uses their own thing and I think a few other small players/non-english ones do too (e.g. Bookwalker).

Last edited by salamanderjuice; 02-25-2022 at 05:01 PM.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:34 AM   #1603
Ansem_93
Zealot
Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Thank's for the info! I'll look foe a guide regarding ascm files automation!
If possible I would rather give money to the local ebook store than Amazon.

P.S. For the same reason I would never buy something on Apple books
Ansem_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 01:53 PM   #1604
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
That's not quite true, Apple uses their own thing and I think a few other small players/non-english ones do too (e.g. Bookwalker).
Ah. Thanks. Never bought anything Apple in my life, so I didn't know this.

They are in Italy, which is why I supposed, they might buy with some of the European/Italian bookstores, which just sell normal DRM.

I am able to buy my ebooks from the little struggeling bookstore in my neighborhood e.g. which I like a lot better than handing money to some of the richest persons in the world.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:57 PM   #1605
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Thank's for the info! I'll look foe a guide regarding ascm files automation!
If possible I would rather give money to the local ebook store than Amazon.

P.S. For the same reason I would never buy something on Apple books
Great minds and such

We have a website in Germany that lets us shop with little bookstores. It is called "genialokal.de". Maybe there is something like this in Italy, too.