Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
If you decided to hold off installing big sur, then you chose wisely. They are having all sorts of problems with installations failing. Perhaps they will get it fixed, or at least have a work around when I get up tomorrow.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #32
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Looks to me like Apple's servers were overloaded and crashed. The Mac App Store had its own glitches for a while! I tried downloading Big Sur out of curiosity and got an error immediately. We're better waiting until the initial rush has faded somewhat.

I know there's no logical connection, but it's not great PR for Apple right after announcing its M1 chip!!
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:15 AM   #33
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
https://www.cultofmac.com/727793/app...es-even-apple/

I confess I’m lacking in skepticism, but I think this is the biggest leap for Mac in a long time. Maybe some people will want to hold off until there’s an ‘M2’ (32GB?) but nothing I want to do would be precluded.

As for Big Sur, I’m installing it now on a new iMac we got last week. I’m not expecting any issues. [Update: there weren’t any]

Last edited by tomsem; 11-13-2020 at 03:42 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #34
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
https://www.cultofmac.com/727793/app...es-even-apple/

I confess I’m lacking in skepticism, but I think this is the biggest leap for Mac in a long time. Maybe some people will want to hold off until there’s an ‘M2’ (32GB?) but nothing I want to do would be precluded.

As for Big Sur, I’m installing it now on a new iMac we got last week. I’m not expecting any issues. [Update: there weren’t any]
Off hours was the time to do it. I installed this morning, being an early riser. It did take a very long time to update. Since I have a 1GB internet connect, I suspect the issue was with the Apple servers.

If you have older legacy devices, you probably want to hold off or at least make sure that it's compatible. It didn't see my Drobo 5D connected by thunderbolt, the fix was to connect by USB which is a lot slower. I expect that Drobo will release a new driver in the next couple of days. The USB driver for my weatherstation also didn't work, and I don't really expect to change in the near future. Davis hasn't actively supported the Mac in years. The last couple of updates, I've been using a 3rd party driver. Of course, the actual weather station works fine, I just can't load the data on my computer. So far everything else seems to be working.

Last edited by pwalker8; 11-13-2020 at 10:00 AM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #35
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
https://www.cultofmac.com/728128/rev...s-new-m1-macs/

First M1 Macs blow reviewers’ socks off]
Quote:
Still on the fence over Apple’s new M1 Mac mini, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro despite their stellar benchmarks? Find out what tech experts think of them in new reviews and hands-on videos.

Spoiler alert: They’re all fantastic!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:38 AM   #36
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I just bought a mac mini with 16 gb ram and a I TB hard drive. It's a fantastic machine. I needed to consolidate my work space for the home computer and work (mac book pro). Previously I used the office room for the home computer and set up in the dining room for work. My old iMac (circa 2015) was running archaically slow and I tried everything to speed it up to no avail.

So I bought a Dell 4 K monitor with multiple inputs and a mac mini. Now I'm consolidated in the office room. The monitor automatically recognizes which computer is awake and switches to that input. Another key item was buying a logitech MX keys keyboard and MX 3 mouse both of which can be paired to up to three devices.

I gotta say the performance of this mac mini is stellar. The stellar benchmarks are correct. I should've gotten rid of the iMac earlier. I took out it's hard drive and gave it to apple for recycling.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 04:03 PM   #37
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I’m saving up for a M1 Mac mini now. After the last macOS update to Mojave my 2014 MacBook Pro slowed to a crawl. It had done fine until then, but that crippled it substantially. Damn morons at Apple, I don’t think they can do anything right these days as for as OSes and FW. On the other hand, I wouldn’t put it past Tim Apple to deliberately try to slow down older Macs in order to generate more sales. At any rate I had intended to wait until Fall to see if the minis get an update to the processor, but I might have to get one before then if my MacBook Pro slows any more.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 05:36 AM   #38
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I’m saving up for a M1 Mac mini now. After the last macOS update to Mojave my 2014 MacBook Pro slowed to a crawl. It had done fine until then, but that crippled it substantially. Damn morons at Apple, I don’t think they can do anything right these days as for as OSes and FW. On the other hand, I wouldn’t put it past Tim Apple to deliberately try to slow down older Macs in order to generate more sales. At any rate I had intended to wait until Fall to see if the minis get an update to the processor, but I might have to get one before then if my MacBook Pro slows any more.
A computer support guy at work told me a new processor was perhaps going to come out this coming year. I didn't want to wait. I needed to make a change now. I'm glad I didn't wait. This machine is the fastest Mac I've had.

I am frustrated a bit with Apple about OS updates slowing down older devices. It is possible to revert to an older version of Mac OS, but you can only go as far back as the version the device was shipped with. Perhaps you can then regain some speed with your device. You'll need to have your files backed up to an external device to reinstall as the process erases your mac's hard drive. Id' also invest in a decent security program as Apple may not be doing security updates anymore on that OS version. The instructions can be found here:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/downgrade-macos-version/
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote