Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-15-2019, 07:29 AM   #1
anoukaimee
Enthusiast
anoukaimee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Pixel 6 (Moon Reader/Calibre Companion), Amazon Fire 10
Question How to highlight in Moon+Reader without pop up menu?

I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer to this and I didn't find a ready answer on their site (well, they really don't have any meaningful guide at all that I could find).

I use the "select text" feature almost exclusively for highlighting text (later to copy into notes). I can do this, and have configured it to do so on a long press. But that time-saving feature is of little merit since no matter what I do, there is no quick way to just select the text, apply the highlight and continue reading.

Instead, a pop-up menu with different options of highlights always comes up. It also has an option to, for instance, highlight every instance of the selected text in the rest of the book.

This is, in the larger context, definitely a first world problem, but it is very, very irritating when one is trying to get work done. Am I just missing a setting, or is this a functionality that Moon Reader doesn't have?

Combined with my inability to sync my tags from Calibre (it seems to select some from the original metadata and then some of mine, go figure), I'd gladly pay for a different option if there is an app that does these things better, although it's my understanding that Moon Reader is considered "the best." One would hope that "the best" would have a tutorial, at the very least.

Would love some guidance if anyone can help. Maybe I'm just missing a lot here. Thanks much.
anoukaimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:09 PM   #2
eddington
eddington began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
This problem exists for basically every reader on Android except Kindle. I'm willing to bet none of these developers actually f***ing read because this is just the most annoying crap ever.
And on Kindle you can't even export your notes unless you buy everything through their store.
2021 and we still have to put up with this dogcrap.
eddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:06 PM   #3
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Anoukaimee, when the popup menu with different options comes up (Copy, Highlight, Note, Dict., More), click on the word "Highlight". Additional "Highlighting" options will appear. Place a check mark on "Long-Tap & Drag to highlight selected text directly". Click "OK".

You should now be able to long press and then drag to select your desired text. When you lift your finger, the text remains highlighted and you can continue reading. Only issue is you can't highlight a single word this way; you have to long press and drag, selecting more than one word.

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 08-01-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:03 PM   #4
Nursken
Nursken began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note3
I have no ideas what I am doing wrong. I highlight a text with the blue handles showing and it doesn't stick, but clears yellow in the text. It is very annoying.
Nursken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, calibre, highlight, moon reader, sync