Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Bloomberg: new Kindle in August

Bloomberg reports in Amazon.com Said to Introduce Thinner Kindle in August:
Quote:
The device will be thinner and have a more responsive screen with a sharper picture, the people said, who didn’t want to be identified because the plans aren’t public. The new Kindle won’t include a touch screen or color, they said.
A more responsive screen is already possible with the new display controllers, but I wonder what "sharper picture" means?

EDIT: See also Kindel goes a diet.

Last edited by wallcraft; 05-29-2010 at 01:49 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
This is a very good news indeed! I think the whole e-reader device scene got kind of hijacked by the iPad craze. In terms of electronic reading technology Apple brought absolutely nothing new to the table.
I am holding my fingers crossed for some advancement on the e-Ink (or similar) field. There is a lot of R&D being done out there, but it would take somebody like Amazon to package the product and bring it to the market.
Do you think they'll be going with some other non e-Ink technology for the screen? Also, they did buy that touch screen setup a while back, right?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Good to hear them sticking to their guns. Interestingly, August/September is when Sony usually announces their new reader models. Whose design will be better???

Remember when Sony & Amazon were the two major "mainstream" readers on the market?
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Good to hear them sticking to their guns. Interestingly, August/September is when Sony usually announces their new reader models. Whose design will be better???

Remember when Sony & Amazon were the two major "mainstream" readers on the market?
I haven't heard anything about Sony coming up with new gear, but I'd love to

Sony and Amazon (and the likes) are in the category of heavyweights who can actually set some new trends in the market. Although I love Sony gadgets, my money is on Amazon. They have more invested in the e-reading technology than Sony. Furthermore, Amazon does not have the cultural baggage that Sony has in designing products. Sony does it "Sony Style" which is uniquely different (for better or worse).
Amazon is able to be a lot more agile and innovative.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
" a thinner version of its e-book reader in August, and the new workout regiment will also enhance its screen sharpness and responsiveness."

This is about as exciting as a "New and Improved" box of Kleenex. Yes, it's a good reader (if you don't mind the extra length for the keypad). And ,yes, it IS a new model. But they have to have something more than this? Don't they?
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Leaks of a new Sony reader for the early fall will happen son if they are going to happen. The "retail calendar" for big box stores like Best Buy has very significant lead times. Final decisions are being made and bets placed on what will or will not drive Christmas holiday sales. Factories are booking final orders for shipments beginning in late September now.

So, if Sony has anything substantial coming, the electronic retailers will be having discussions and inking deals in the next few days. That's also why we're likely hearing about the news through Bloomberg re: Amazon Kindle 3.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
But they have to have something more than this?
What if it is thinner, sharper, faster-refreshing and *cheaper*?

That is one "feature" that can make an instant difference and explains why no touch or color.

Features are nice but Kindle has a decent-enough feature set already--for its target audience--so the question now is how do they want to grow their ecosystem; aiming for a bigger slice of the hardware market and fighting for the affluent buyers that Apple is targetting or by undercutting other dedicated-reader vendors to bolster their online store?

Amazon is in this to sell books, not just readers; that makes the Adobe Adept ecosystem their primary near-term target, not Apple. Apple actually helps because it fractured the unity of ePub DRM schemes beyond what B&N did, *and* because iPad can sell Kindle books just fine.

I'm thinking Amazon woudn't *at all* mind a market split almost exclusively between Kindle and iPad, so hitting Nook and Kobo where they might hurt is likely a higher priority than going after the iPad. Of the two, I suspect Kobo is more worrisome because of its pricing so I woudn't be shocked to see K3 come in at something close to US$200 if not under it.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Doesn't sound like anything that would make me want to ditch my K1.

Maybe if it REALLY speeds up page turns etc. dramatically.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 05-29-2010 at 11:31 AM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This new Kindle will be using the new ink screen that has higher contrast and is faster. Somewhere on MR is a link to a video showing off one of these new screens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Are standalone e-book readers doomed?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
It's a different device. I could read books on my laptop or desktop, of course, but I don't want an LCD: e-ink is so much easier on the eyes, no way of going back. And as an avid reader I can easily justify a standalone device for that purpose.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
As I've said many times, such articles are just non-sense.

There's clearly a sizable niche of readers that just want simple gadgets that do nothing but read and offer no other distractions.

We live in a capitalist world, as long as that niche is there, there will be a few companies making products to serve them. Very few niches go ignored, as that means every company turning down a chance to make money.

I do think Tablets are really going to catch on, and I'll probably drop my Kindle for a Tablet when there's one that fits my needs as I'm not an avid reader so I don't need e-ink. So I'm not some biased e-ink lover when I say that.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I agree pretty much with the article. Dedicated ereaders will have to be low in price, able to read epub, pdf, doc, and as many other formats as possible. It doesn't need wifi or 3G or computer connectivity. Just an SD slot to load protected and unprotected books.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard

Price will of course have to drop--but that had to happen without tablets etc. There's only so many people who both read enough, and are willing to try reading on a gadget, to pay $200-300+ for a dedicated reader.

I don't think format etc. matters that much. Most people in the mainstream aren't going to bother with that stuff--unlike the informed users here. Most will just buy a Kindle or Nook etc. and only get books from the attached story anyway. They'll never come to a site like this and learn about the other options etc.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I was hoping the K3 would be a Kindle version of the Alex. No such luck, I guess.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote