Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 06-09-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
zpos
zpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel is

DVD Profiler

For those of you that use DVD profiler, you will be aware that you can view your DVD catalogue on the net. DVD profiler also gives you a comprehensive detail about each movie as well as the front and back covers.

This is pretty handy and a convenient way of letting your friends know what dvd's you have. What I do is download the page to my Clie so that I have quick access to peoples DVD lists.

Just so you know what it looks like, here's my list...

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=zpos

Just change the alias= to the appropriate user. And NO, you can't borrow any!

I've set up IsiloX to be...

Links = 1,
Send/Receive Cookies,
Images, Include Images, Resize large images width/height 304, 264.

Improve contrast/Dither/Compress
Colour 8 bit

Works a treat.. Files can be a bit big, but hey, thats what the memory stick is for.

Let me know what you think.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:02 PM   #2
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
How long did it take to enter your data?

I have like 400 DVDs and it would take me days to enter the data again.
Advert
Old 06-10-2003, 04:11 PM   #3
zpos
zpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel iszpos really knows where his or her towel is

Ok, this is the really neat bit about dvd profiler... The first thing you do is download the dvd profiler application for there site. This is a piece of windows software.

Once installed, it will download a database containing film titles and film information.

To add items to your collection, you simply type in the number in the barcode (each dvd has it's barcode). It will then find the dvd for you from the database.

Out of my collection, there was only one dvd that it couldn't find..but i managed to find the code from a different region and it worked fine.

Once you've entered your details through, the software allows you to upload to there website (you need to get yourself an alias, but you can do this from there site).

It's a very clever bit of kit.

Get back to me if you need anymore info.

z

PS 400!?!?! you're a rich man!
Old 06-11-2003, 07:27 AM   #4
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Not rich. Long story, but I have been into DVDs since they first came out. I used to be into Laserdiscs and would frequent a store that specialized in Laserdiscs. When I heard that this new fangled DVD was coming out, my snobbish self thought how much better could it be than LD. Then I saw it and bought one on sight. That was over 6 years ago, so I have had DVDs a while.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:15 AM   #5
zpos

Ah, so you've had plenty of time to acquire your vast collection.

Well, if you get it onto dvd profiler, I'll be interested to see what's in your collection.

z
Advert
Old 06-12-2003, 10:21 AM   #6
brahamt
Groupie

Hey z,

Thanks for the link. I tried the software and it is pretty damn good. It took me a little over two hours to input the DVDs and even reorganize and set a bunch aside to give away.

The ones I am keeping are in
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=brahamt

I am trying to put it into iSilo now. The settings seem to be working pretty good. I'll let you know how it does later.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:50 PM   #7
zpos

heh!, glad you liked the software......it's not bad for shareware is it? One of my friends has the full version but I don't think you get much for your money... just hi-res graphical images and an ad-free version of your online collection.

Yeah, it doesn't take that long to key in the information, once you get into a rhythm.

You list is majorly impressive! I would imagine the .pdb created is pretty large for you (but that's your own fault for having such a ridiculously large dvd collection!!).

z
Old 06-13-2003, 09:23 AM   #8
brahamt
Groupie

It wasn't too bad. Only 35 MB ;-)

The speed is not so great however, but since I will be only updating when I have new DVDs, it's not a problem.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:50 PM   #9
zpos

ah, not too big a file then!!!!!

z
Old 06-13-2003, 01:59 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally posted by brahamt
Not rich. Long story, but I have been into DVDs since they first came out. I used to be into Laserdiscs and would frequent a store that specialized in Laserdiscs. When I heard that this new fangled DVD was coming out, my snobbish self thought how much better could it be than LD. Then I saw it and bought one on sight. That was over 6 years ago, so I have had DVDs a while.
Ahh I have a question slightly offtopic. I too started with Laserdiscs and still have some 300 movies on it. Some rare collector items, some others which weren't converted for DVD yet (like the Star Wars Trilogy). Unfortunately, my Projector is not so happy with the display format of the Laserdisc, so I'd be happy if I could somehow convert the old LDs to DVDs. Did anyone try that before? I understand that the LD audio tracks were still analog, right?
Old 06-13-2003, 02:41 PM   #11
brahamt
Groupie

Ahh, a subject that I have some expertise in.

The process of converting to DVD is somewhat long and boring, but here is what I know.

First off, not all of the tracks on the LD were analog. Many of the later LDs had multiple tracks, often one or two of which were digital. A lot of times commentary tracks were on the analog tracks.

In either case, to convert those LDs on a PC to DVD you will need the following equipment:

1 Video Capture Card
2 LaserDisk Player
3 DVD Recorder
4 Sound Card

Depending on the video capture card you have, you will need some software to capture the video. I have found nothing that I completely like, so I use the capture software that comes with my ATI card. I have used VirtualDub and Ulead MovieFactory.

After capture, depending on how compliant a capture you get (depends on software), you may need to transcode the video. After that, you get some DVD authoring software, like SpruceUp or MovieFactory to make menus and add the video. Some software will do these last two steps in one fell swoop.

Then burn it to DVD. I have used both Nero (better) and DVD Creator.

The best resource for this sort of stuff is http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

Good luck. It will take some time to learn the stuff but once you get a good successful burn, you're all set.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:04 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ahh, a subject that I have some expertise in.
Ahh! I am sure I will have some more problems to bother you with
Quote:
1. Video Capture Card
2 LaserDisk Player
3 DVD Recorder
4 Sound Card
1. I am usually using a DV camera with Digital IN/OUT to capture analogue material. Software to capture and edit I use is Sonic Vegas 4.0.
2. Some Pioneer.
3. Ricoh 5125
4. Not sure but I don't think I need it because I use the DV camera.
Quote:

The best resource for this sort of stuff is http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

Good luck. It will take some time to learn the stuff but once you get a good successful burn, you're all set.
Thanks man, I will try it with one LD and see if it is worth the time and trouble.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:00 PM   #13
brahamt
Groupie

Alexander,

DV Cam? Man, now I'm jealous.

Here is why you'll like the DV Cam alternative (taken from above mentioned site):

The Benefits of Using your Digital Camcorder for Analog Capture

Most Digital Camcorders (but not all) have hardware converters that take analog video and convert them to DV AVI (digital video AVI). Most people will agree that the quality of this conversion is very good. My personal experience was that the DV Cam's analog-to-digital conversion ranged from being somewhat better to much better than the three capture cards that I tried. I was still hesitant to invest in the Digital Camcorder (since they cost more than most capture cards) but other peoples' experience posted on forums consistently supported the fact that they felt that the quality of capture via DV Cam was much better.

As mentioned above, Digital Camcorders will output DV AVI at about 3.3 MBps. DV AVI is a good format to work with since it is much smaller (and more manageable than RAW AVI). On the other hand, it is not so compressed (like MPEG-2) that it is slow to work with in video editing packages.

Try here:

DV CAM

Oh and ask questions anytime.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:21 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Alexander,

DV Cam? Man, now I'm jealous.
Yep, I love my good old Sony TRV 900. The stupid thing is that if I want to convert analog-to-digital through the cameras convertor, I have to temporily save the material on the DV tape (which puts unnecessary strain on the DV drive). Without modification, my Cam doesn't allow for direct analog-to-digital through-put

Modification would require a special Sony remote where I'd have to enter certain codes to enable direct through-put. Of course I don't have that remote ...
Old 06-14-2003, 10:35 AM   #15
brahamt
Groupie

Hmm, I have an idea. Can you get access to a Universal Remote?

Specifically, I am referring to a URC (sometimes called One For All) branded remote. I am sure they are available in Europe, though I can't say which countries specifically.

If so there are some resources that I have that you could program the remote to do what you want.