Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 10-24-2002, 02:49 PM   #1
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Smile

There seems to be a script error in the code for salon.com's mobile site (http://www.salon.com/partners/omnisky/), and so i can't get it to convert with isilo or plucker. anybody get this to work? i'm going through withdrawal . . .
the only thing i could possibly think of would be to manually go and download the stupid site to my computer every day then have isilo or plucker convert each page, but that would just plain stink.
Old 10-24-2002, 03:03 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
You're right there is an error with that page. Invalid HTML code causes iSilo (and probably Plucker, as you said too) to abort.

Basically the salon HTTP server is returning some HTML (advertisement) before the <HTTP> headers and then sending the body of the HTML afterwards. *But <HTTP> must always come before the content.

I contacted the iSilo author about that, and he also assumes that there is a bug in Salon's server code in their that inserts the advertisements into the content. No word though if he wants to "support" that kind of bug. It would probably be easier just to contact Salon and make them aware of the problem (if they like us using non-Avantgo browsers).

Alternatively, you could probably write a small Perl script that filters out the advertisement. One good solution would be Sitescooper. Did you try that?
Advert
Old 10-25-2002, 05:55 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, I found a perl script that actually "debone" the original Salon.com web page.

Source is attached. You can see an example of how it works at the programmer's page, http://test.angel.net/nic/salon.cgi You can use either his url as the iSiloX link address, or, probably better, upload the cgi to your own site and use your site for parsing Salon.

It shouldn't be too hard to write a script that removes the ads from the Avantgo Salon. I will try my luck.
Attached Files
File Type: zip salon_cgi.zip (1.2 KB, 377 views)
Old 10-26-2002, 03:02 PM   #4
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

nice. i don't think i'll be able to give it a try until tomorrow or monday. i'll post when i do. thanks!
Old 10-28-2002, 11:37 AM   #5
kezza
Lowlife of the Party

Smile

I checked it out -- that's pretty nice. Looks like my salon.com addiction can finally be satisfied on my palm.
i played around with getting the script running at my site, but i'm way too rusty and too lazy to relearn how to get that kind of stuff going agin. maybe tonight when i've got time to mess around with it i'll set it up more effectively. &nbsp;
Advert
Old 11-19-2002, 06:32 PM   #6
Agrajag
Connoisseur
Agrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it is

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Keeza,

I've been in touch with Salon directly and we have major progress to report. Darren was able to help me out getting Salon not only to work but to be the first mobile content provider to get their Premium content to work!

Next, we're now getting them to support a repeatable, standardized URL name (right now it's based on the date so you'd need to change it daily!) so that you can get each days content easily. We hope to have that in the next few days.

You will need to Add Cookie under Cookies and fill in some data that I'll post when we get there.

They're also going to clean up the content so that it presents as nicely as it does in AvantGo.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:04 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Very nice, Agrajag, please keep us updated when you find out a nice, working link for Salon.

For many, including myself, Salon is a favorite &nbsp;
Old 11-20-2002, 02:22 PM   #8
Agrajag
Connoisseur
Agrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it is

Well, they added the static-named page for premium content. Pulled it down last night and had a lot to read!

My question is, as a Premium member of Salon, I'm focusing on access to Premium content. We'd be the first, ahead of AvantGo, to get this access.

Is that your interest as well or are you only interested in the free non-premium stuff?
Old 11-20-2002, 02:33 PM   #9
kezza
Lowlife of the Party

I'd be using it exclusively for non-premium content, but i have in the past considered getting a premium account, especially if i started reading it on my palm on a daily basis.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:11 PM   #10
Agrajag
Connoisseur

Well, so far the testing is working flawlessly. They switched to a static-named file for premium content and it's worked for two days in a row now. Next, they're going to organize it better and give it the same access AvantGo has (believe it or not, but AvantGo actually gets more content in a day than Premium accounts do via the mobile edition so that's being nailed right now. Of course none of the premium content is cut short as it is on AvantGo.

I must say, I'm impressed. I read a TON yesterday.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:43 PM   #11
kezza
Lowlife of the Party

So, how's the Salon update going? What's the new URL? Or is it the old one?
Old 12-18-2002, 04:03 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Kezza (nice to see you back btw),

Check http://www.salon.com/partner/omnisky/index.html again. It works now with iSiloX. Only thing: You must use a non-Avantgo Referrer string in iSiloX. This is exactly the opposite of what I suggest you to do for all the other sites. So I admit, it kinda sucks to change that each time you want to synchronize Salon. Other solution: Use the script that was posted above.

Alex
Old 12-23-2002, 09:43 AM   #13
Agrajag
Connoisseur

It's still moving forward though it's on hold at the moment for holidays and other priorities. I have a test account with them and the premium content open to everyone is being done. However, it's now been stuck that way for a few weeks with everything else going on.

I'm still in discussion with the staff and they are going to finish it so they say, including making it better than what you get with AvantGo apparently.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:54 PM   #14
kezza
Lowlife of the Party

not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but salon.com's wireless page is back to having advertising before the html code. grr. so, needless to say, isilox won't convert anymore.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:08 PM   #15
rizwank
rizwank began at the beginning.

Any fix for this, or is http://test.angel.net/nic/salon.cgi the best way to go? the test page doesnt help too much though cause the content is still in large pages.