Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
newday07
Connoisseur
newday07 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Firmware update 5.9.6.1

Firmware update 5.9.6.1 is now available!

Here’s what’s new:
Read with your own fonts: You can now install your favorite fonts on your Kindle and choose one of them from the Display Settings (Aa) menu to read your eBooks. Connect your Kindle to a computer and refer to the “Read Me” file in the “fonts” folder for more information.

Last edited by newday07; 06-14-2018 at 11:38 AM.
newday07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
old news https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=298832
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That was 5.9.6. This is 5.9.6.1, released today.

A bug fix release since the "What's New" description is unchanged and only the last digit was bumped.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Wondering if:

- fixes extra page refresh with clock display turned on.
- any progress with Arabic support that was briefly referenced in What’s New (I don’t know how to check that).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #5
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Wondering if:

- fixes extra page refresh with clock display turned on.
- any progress with Arabic support that was briefly referenced in What’s New (I don’t know how to check that).
I ended up having to reset my Kindle after 5.9.6 and have not had the clock display extra refresh reoccur since doing the reset.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Jeez, I *just* upgraded to 5.9.6 yesterday. Had I waited only 1 more day....
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by newday07 View Post
Firmware update 5.9.6.1 is now available!
That didn't take long. Now installed on my Kindle (8th Generation) without issue. Thanks for the news.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:07 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
I ended up having to reset my Kindle after 5.9.6 and have not had the clock display extra refresh reoccur since doing the reset.
But to clarify: you’re still on 5.9.6 and not 5.9.6.1?

I still have 5.9.6 and am definitely still getting extra refreshes with clock display turned on. I have no particular urgency to update to see if this behavior goes away but other people may want to check it out.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-14-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I still have 5.9.6 and am definitely still getting extra refreshes with clock display turned on. I have no particular urgency to update to see if this behavior goes away but other people may want to check it out.
The 5.9.6.1 update fixed the clock refresh problem on my PW2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
If you get a chance, could you try to send an Amazon-published Arabic language book to your Kindle. That is what I can't get to work.
The 5.9.6.1 update fixed that problem, too. At least I was able to send several Arabic KFX samples to my PW2.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:17 AM   #10
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
But to clarify: you’re still on 5.9.6 and not 5.9.6.1?

I was still getting them on 5.9.6, but then I started having a problem where my Paperwhite was randomly rebooting. After searching around here, I decided to go ahead and do a reset on the Kindle. It still says 5.9.6 as the firmware version and I have not noticed any clock triggered page refreshes since the update and reloading my Kindle.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #11
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Inching closer to a 6.0 software release.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The 5.9.6.1 update fixed that problem, too. At least I was able to send several Arabic KFX samples to my PW2.
That is interesting. I tried having Arabic books delivered to my Oasis 2 immediately after updating to 5.9.6.1 and they did not work, giving the error about being incompatible with my device.

I just tried it again and they are downloading now. Amazon must have made a change at the server end to allow delivery of Arabic language books to this firmware. It is odd that they didn't put that back as a feature in "What's New".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Inching closer to a 6.0 software release.
They can always go to 5.10.x, 5.11.x, etc.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That is interesting. I tried having Arabic books delivered to my Oasis 2 immediately after updating to 5.9.6.1 and they did not work, giving the error about being incompatible with my device.

I just tried it again and they are downloading now. Amazon must have made a change at the server end to allow delivery of Arabic language books to this firmware. It is odd that they didn't put that back as a feature in "What's New".
How long after updating did you wait the first time? You need to give it at least a little bit of time to sync with the server -- otherwise how is Amazon to know you updated your Oasis.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
How long after updating did you wait the first time? You need to give it at least a little bit of time to sync with the server -- otherwise how is Amazon to know you updated your Oasis.
Several minutes. I also made sure to hit the Sync button a couple of times before trying to download those books.

It does seem to take their servers a while to recognize that the device has different firmware.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:02 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The 5.9.6.1 update fixed the clock refresh problem on my PW2.

I did not try Arabic before, but yes, I downloaded a title from KU and that also caused dictionaries to download. It all seems to work, and even Translation has Arabic option.

Too soon to declare clock refresh problem dead but nothing seen so far.

[update:] My Kindle (8th gen), still on 5.9.6, is able to download same title, everything seems okay. Was there an actual issue with Arabic on 5.9.6?

Last edited by tomsem; 06-15-2018 at 07:34 PM.