Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Did you know your Nook HD/HD+ could do this?

Here are a couple of things I've learned about the HD that might come in handy for other users:

1) You can install an android equivalent of Siri ... and it really works great! I installed the app called "Assistant" and it performs just as well as Siri does.

The Nook HD has a good microphone that also works well for voice memos and speech-to-text notes.

2) You can take a screenshot by pressing the "Home" hardware key on the bottom and the volume down button simultaneously. I've done it and it works well.

3) You can get rid of the big active shelf on the home page. Go to All Settings>Applications>Home and uncheck all the options for the various media to be included on the Active Shelf. Right after you do that, a stray catalog or magazine might appear, but just click on it and select "Do not show on Home" and it will never appear there again.

You really don't need the active shelf, since all the content that shows there is available through the Library button on the bottom of the home screen.

I've set up my home page so that there are ZERO apps or shelves showing on it -- just the wallpaper shows, and it's an image of my own choosing. This gives the home screen a clean, uncluttered look.

The one caveat about making the Active Shelf disappear is that it is still really there, only hidden. In other words, you can't place icons or widgets in that exact location and any swipes won't register on that small portion of the screen. I haven't found that to be a problem.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 06-22-2013 at 08:18 PM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the tips.
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Many thanks for the screenshot tip! I just tried it and am happy to have this ability!

As for home screen, I installed a launcher, so no worries about the carousel, I never see it. I have my weather, calendar and Astrid to-do task widget instead. Along with my most frequently used apps in folders.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I didn't know that about the assistant function, so thanks. I haven't played around with any of the voice-activated stuff yet, just some of the TTS things in readers.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I also installed a launcher, it took a while to work out how to use it but my nook now looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2927
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	107320  
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
As for home screen, I installed a launcher, so no worries about the carousel, I never see it.
That's great to know that one can install an alternative launcher, I didn't think B&N would permit that.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
That's great to know that one can install an alternative launcher, I didn't think B&N would permit that.
Once they added Google Play, they didn't have very much choice about it, much like the fact that you can also load the Kindle app.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I also installed a launcher, it took a while to work out how to use it but my nook now looks like this
We'll see if this works, never posted a photo from my Nook before, but here's what my Nook HD+ screen looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1372193705745.jpg
Views:	3067
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	107347  
Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
We'll see if this works, never posted a photo from my Nook before, but here's what my Nook HD+ screen looks like.
Wow, I love your screen. I just got mine and was happy that I added my email. Where does one begin to achieve a screen like yours?
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Wow, I love your screen. I just got mine and was happy that I added my email. Where does one begin to achieve a screen like yours?
First, download a launcher from the Google appstore - ADW Launcher, GO Launcher EX, or Nova Launcher. They're all highly rated and used by members of MR. I use ADW Launcher on my HD+, because it's what I have on my Fire HD 8.9; but the other two are just as good.

Next, add some wallpaper; also from Google. I use Wallpapers HD. Again, highly rated and also used by members of MR. It's not the only choice, but it's the one I have experience with.

Now that you've done that, it's time to put some apps on the screens. The bottom tray is called a dock and the apps you place there will always be visible, no matter which screen you're on. This is where you place your most frequently used apps, so they're always just a touch away. You can customize it and set how many apps you want there by going into the launcher's settings; not your tablet's settings.

To add apps to your screens, open the app drawer. It's the circular app with six squares (see Josieb1's pic above). Long press the apps you wish to place on the screens and they'll move there. You're then free to move them anywhere you want on the home screen or you can place them on different screens.

You can also create and name folders in order to better organize your apps. Each app can also be placed in multiple folders if you wish. For example, I have YouTube in two different folders - music and videos.

There's lots of ways you can customize the look and feel of your HD to make it "yours".

Have fun
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
First, download a launcher from the Google appstore - ADW Launcher, GO Launcher EX, or Nova Launcher. They're all highly rated and used by members of MR. I use ADW Launcher on my HD+, because it's what I have on my Fire HD 8.9; but the other two are just as good.

Next, add some wallpaper; also from Google. I use Wallpapers HD. Again, highly rated and also used by members of MR. It's not the only choice, but it's the one I have experience with.

Now that you've done that, it's time to put some apps on the screens. The bottom tray is called a dock and the apps you place there will always be visible, no matter which screen you're on. This is where you place your most frequently used apps, so they're always just a touch away. You can customize it and set how many apps you want there by going into the launcher's settings; not your tablet's settings.

To add apps to your screens, open the app drawer. It's the circular app with six squares (see Josieb1's pic above). Long press the apps you wish to place on the screens and they'll move there. You're then free to move them anywhere you want on the home screen or you can place them on different screens.

You can also create and name folders in order to better organize your apps. Each app can also be placed in multiple folders if you wish. For example, I have YouTube in two different folders - music and videos.

There's lots of ways you can customize the look and feel of your HD to make it "yours".

Have fun
Good morning Tubemonkey. I was thrilled to see your post. I can't thank you enough for the hand holding. I downloaded Nova Launcher and started to play. Sadly, I realized that I need the wallpaper first. I will have to wait for this evening to get those. It's like decorating a room which is one of my favorite things to do. I am going to try all the launchers that you mentioned. And you are so right, I can't wait to make it " mine".
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Good morning Tubemonkey. I was thrilled to see your post. I can't thank you enough for the hand holding. I downloaded Nova Launcher and started to play. Sadly, I realized that I need the wallpaper first. I will have to wait for this evening to get those. It's like decorating a room which is one of my favorite things to do. I am going to try all the launchers that you mentioned. And you are so right, I can't wait to make it " mine".
Glad to help, and you're so welcome. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Someone's bound to know the answer.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
Sukiyaki
Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T-2, Nook HD+
@tubemonkey that was awesome. Thanx! I was just happy to figure out how to get icons like google+ and hulu off my screen. I'm going to try a launcher once I get used to everything.
Sukiyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyReader View Post
Thx for tips.. Also can I get Widgets ?
I bought the Nook HD to be simply a reading tablet due to the great sale price and the high resolution screen. I made the content in the active shelf be just books and documents. I changed the recent drawer icon in the lower-right corner to be a book icon that opens to the book you are currently reading. Long press on the home screen to get a scrolling screen on the bottom that allows you to add widgets, apps, book covers, wallpapers, etc to the home screens. It's quicker than long pressing on individual items in the library views.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyReader View Post
Thx for tips.. Also can I get Widgets ?
Yes, you can, very easily. There are probably some on your Nook now. When you install a program, many times it also adds additional widgets. For example, I downloaded AccuWeather and it puts 3 different widget styles on your device from which to choose from. In addition, do a search on Google Play for "widgets" and you can download some more if you want.

To access the widgets, do a long press on the middle of the screen until the menu with "Widgets" at the end pops up. Click on "Widgets" and scroll through the options. Any one you want just drag and drop it onto an empty space on the screen. Then press "Done." And if you want to remove the widget, long press on it and the option to "Remove from tabletop" pops up.

I found a great folder app -- Application Folder -- that has many flexible options and which I've used to organize most of my apps into custom folders in order to minimize clutter. It comes with many nice icons for folders already. But here's the thing -- you can download Tha Icon Ultimate and it has hundreds and hundreds of additional icons that you can use to make your folders with Application Folder. It's great. Both programs are free and I'm using them on an unrooted device and with the stock launcher. (To use Tha Icon with Application Folder, go into Tha's settings and check "Show in Gallery." Then browse through Tha's icons, and any one you want, press on it and select to download the hi-res version. It will automatically be put in your gallery. Then when you are inside the Folder Editor of Application Folder, you can select any image from your Gallery to put on a folder.)

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote