Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Building stuff for the K3 with a recent TC is a PITA. Building GTK+ for the K5 was already a huge PITA.

And once you've crossed those hurdles, making sure it doesn't blow up on the target device is another fun experience.

The absence of X11 on FW 2.x-4.x devices is another fairly major (if not critical) blocker.

That's basically the maths as for why no-one bothered. (That, and the crappy CPU & tight RAM constraints of the target device anyway).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-07-2015 at 07:26 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Devices prior to the K5 - - -
You can't depend on having gtk or gtkwebkit or X11 - - sorry not there on many of the early models.

Which is why I suggested NetSurf-FB (frame buffer version - it does not require any of the above stuff).

- - - -

What version of NetSurf did you build?
Try the developement head (or whatever is the most recent that passed their auto-builder).

The problem with non-ascii characters in the FB version sounds like something I read the other day had been fixed.
Might be fixed only in git-head.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2015, 03:55 AM   #18
newman
homo viator
newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXi with 3.4.2 firmware, Kobo Glo HD
knc1: I followed this http://source.netsurf-browser.org/ne...cs/QUICK-START guide, so I built 3.4-DEV from git. But my target site (instapaper.com) was not usable at all. Of course developers of NetSurf may fix it some day but I'd concentrate on paths I now find more viable (and SkipStone is not the case, thanks NiLuJe ).

To summarize, I started my "research" with 3.2.1 firmware on DXi, then easily updated to 3.3, so my current hope is to be able to update to 3.4 and then to 3.4.[1,2] where I believe TLS was enabled because I went through Amazon-published sources and a diffed libsoup sources between 3.4 and 3.4.1 (3.4.2 has no changes in all FOSS sources) and found this:

diff -pruN libsoup-3.4/libsoup/soup-gnutls.c libsoup-3.4.1/libsoup/soup-gnutls.c
--- libsoup-3.4/libsoup/soup-gnutls.c 2012-09-07 17:39:32.000000000 +0200
+++ libsoup-3.4.1/libsoup/soup-gnutls.c 2015-01-10 13:14:17.000000000 +0100
@@ -486,8 +486,8 @@ soup_ssl_wrap_iochannel (GIOChannel *soc
if (ret)
goto THROW_CREATE_ERROR;

- /* See http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=581342 */
- if (gnutls_priority_set_direct (session, "NORMAL:!VERS-TLS1.1:!VERS-TLS1.0", NULL) != 0)
+ /* Disabling SSL3 due to poodle vulnerability */
+ if (gnutls_priority_set_direct (session, "NORMAL:-VERS-SSL3.0", NULL) != 0)
goto THROW_CREATE_ERROR;

if (gnutls_credentials_set (session, GNUTLS_CRD_CERTIFICATE,

They disabled SSL 3.0 but enabled TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 in priority list therefore I believe TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 were present in the library but effectively disabled by !VERS-TLS1.1:!VERS-TLS1.0 in the past. I am not sure about TLS 1.2, it may not be compiled in at all. WRT gnutls_priority_set_direct() content, it's the same from 3.0.1 to 3.4. (Thou, I still have no direct proof TLS works since no one with a K3 with 3.4.1+ verified that..)

If I was able to update to 3.4.1 the same way I did with 3.2.1→3.3 the problem for me would be fixed, I believe. However, when I try to update with 3.4, e.g. Update_kindle_3.4_B006.bin with byte at 0xC offset changed to 0x05, it proceeds to about 15 % and spits error with U006 code (What the code means? Filesystem hacked?) and then restarts.

I suspect it's because binary patching fails but I won't sure unless I am able to get the log which Kindle's update script from that .bin file creates. E.g.:

logmsg "C" "patch" "patchinfo=\"/usr/bin/pango-querymodules\"" "patch failure"

Does anyone know how to get to the log which is being filled in by logmsg()? Is there a way to write it to /mnt/us/ or at display at least?
newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
- - - -
I am not sure about TLS 1.2, it may not be compiled in at all. WRT gnutls_priority_set_direct() content, it's the same from 3.0.1 to 3.4. (Thou, I still have no direct proof TLS works since no one with a K3 with 3.4.1+ verified that..)
- - - -
006: "Signed package corrupt." (or "Signature Failure" {6 of one, half-dozen of the other}) IIRC
You can't just diddle the bits and bytes of an Update_*.bin package, they are cryptographically signed (even ours).

- - - -

So why don't you just update your K3 to the version(s) you want to verify?

Note: The user of this method *MUST* own both the DX and the K3 so that they have legal access to the binaries on the devices.

Please read the Mobileread Guidelines on the subject of I.P.
You will probably have to take any effort to FrankinKindle your DX to some other site than Mobileread.
(And all of mine are closed, so don't look at me for that.)

Last edited by knc1; 08-09-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #20
newman
homo viator
newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the heads-up wrt IP.
Advert
Old 08-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #21
newman
homo viator

I managed to update Kindle DX which had YifanLu's 3.2.1 franken-firmware to 3.4.2.

I followed the official update path: 3.2.1→3.3→3.4→3.4.2. The thing is that 3.4 is a huge update (3.3 and 3.4.2 are not) and there are several ways the update breaks, the major one being that some operations in the upgrade script will fail due to DX having only 128 MB of RAM (K3 has 256 MB), and you will have to find a way around it.

What are the pros of 3.4.2 compared to 3.2?
  • Dunno... HTTPS sites work in experimental browser because TLS 1.1 is enabled, and that's what I was hoping for.
  • You will learn a lot about DX internals and packaging mechanisms.
  • It was fun.

What are the cons?
  • You will probably brick your Kindle, unless you are tech-savvy, and, more importantly, lucky as I was.

(Sorry for speaking in riddles and not being specific enough, trying not to violate MR Guidelines.)

--

Looking at NetSurf (framebuffer version) it does not seem to require much less memory that Kindle's experimental WebKit browser. Each require about 60 MB of memory but pages rendered by WebKit look way better, plus it supports javascript; though NetSurf may render more swiftly.

Last edited by newman; 08-10-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #22
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
(Sorry for speaking in riddles and not being specific enough, trying not to violate MR Guidelines.)

--

Looking at NetSurf (framebuffer version) it does not seem to require much less memory that Kindle's experimental WebKit browser. Each require about 60 MB of memory but pages rendered by WebKit look way better, plus it supports javascript; though NetSurf may render more swiftly.
As I have observed the guidelines enforcement - -
You can discuss anything, post anything **except** other people's property without permission.
Nor can you post any **direct** links to other people's IP.
**BUT** you can post links to off-site resource listings, just as long as they don't 'click-through' to IP. That is, a person has to read (ah, cut and paste) the link(s) from the listing.

That is in part a historical thing here with the owners/operators - -
In the very early days of Mobileread they had troubles over DRM'd books.
A long story short; they where innocent and intended to stay that way. Also, they intended to avoid any conflicts in the future.

Bottom line: Write up whatever needs to be written up and/or discussed - just don't post the resulting file.
and/or
Run bzdiff on the before and after files, post the resulting bzpatch file. That **should** fall under the 'fair use quote' exceptions.

A very recent thread described the generalization of TTS on 3.4.2 -
a bzpatch file for that one *.jar file change would probably be acceptable here.

Buildroot(.org) will build those tools for you, IIRC. The early Kindles have bzpatch installed on them.

- - - - -

Thanks for taking the time for checking on NetSurf - -
A solid, 'almost works' is good to keep in mind for now.
As that 2.5.8 firmware drops further and further out of date, the user demand for a replacement may eventually reach the point that the 'make it work' effort will be worthwhile.

Last edited by knc1; 08-10-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:00 AM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
As I have observed the guidelines enforcement - -
You can discuss anything, post anything **except** other people's property without permission.
Nor can you post any **direct** links to other people's IP.
**BUT** you can post links to off-site resource listings, just as long as they don't 'click-through' to IP. That is, a person has to read (ah, cut and paste) the link(s) from the listing.

Uploading actual IP (for instance, (repackaged?) Amazon firmware/bytecode) directly to MobileRead is against the guidelines. Linking to offsite pre-packaged resources is permitted in this case of easily-available IP (but not hotlinking downloads).

Teaching people how to hack devices to improve functionality, even providing development tools that facilitate that (e.g. kindletool) are acceptable as long as they don't blatantly violate ethical behavior -- something judged on a case-by-case basis. (Disabling ads that you agreed to for a discounted price, tethering to steal Amazon's 3G -- you should know if you're being a problem. )

eschwartz (Kindle moderator)

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-10-2015 at 10:03 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #24
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
If I recall correctly from our conversation, you're running netsurf-fb only under your PC, not on DX... because 60mb is a lot of RAM under DX. It's only a 1mb executable though.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #25
newman
homo viator

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
If I recall correctly from our conversation, you're running netsurf-fb only under your PC, not on DX... because 60mb is a lot of RAM under DX. It's only a 1mb executable though.
Well mine nsfb executable on x86_64 is about 6.6 MB + 43 shared libraries as reported by ldd. If theguardian.com is opened, 40 MB from resident memory (text and data sections, plus stack usage) is used, not speaking of shared memory. Mind that binary file is not everything, the browser has to somehow interpret the HTML, images, CSS & JS.

--

I was wrong claiming NetSurf lacks Javascript, it indeed does, though - to quote official documentation - only a "primitive" one. Check it out with --enable_javascript=1 option.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #26
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well mine nsfb executable on x86_64 is about 6.6 MB + 43 shared libraries as reported by ldd. If theguardian.com is opened, 40 MB from resident memory (text and data sections, plus stack usage) is used, not speaking of shared memory. Mind that binary file is not everything, the browser has to somehow interpret the HTML, images, CSS & JS.

--

I was wrong claiming NetSurf lacks Javascript, it indeed does, though - to quote official documentation - only a "primitive" one. Check it out with --enable_javascript=1 option.
Yes, I know. And it does have quite a good number of deps indeed... And to my surprise, when building it, one of the dependencies of netsurf-fb (armel port) is X!!! xcb etc... What?!!!

I wanted to correct that javascript bit you mentioned but I got side-tracked. Speaking of which, in DX's netfront, there is an option to enable javascript bookmarklets. Which I found interesting.

Update: I might just get direcfb gtk and webkit on this thing... or just upgrade to 3.4.2.... Arrrrgghhhh.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #27
thatworkshop
hub

A quick update: I am pretty sure on 2.5.8, it's not just the fault of NetFront, but SSL is the culprit for this annoyance of "Basic Web blah blah blah".

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-24-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #28
thatworkshop
hub

Another quick update: I am not impressed at all by NetSurf-FB by any means! I'm leaning more towards links -g (which has graphical port - framebuffer) or links2. Sounds promising. Might need some ARMhf love.

Next tasks:
- Add "sorting by most recent" instead of Title and Author to "View Archived Items"
- Get webkit of 3.* fully running on 2.5.8

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-24-2015 at 07:15 PM.