Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #166
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I will not argue maybe you are right but all most of the merits you have mentioned about DYI book chair are applicable to the one you can buy.

Quote:
far more stable when poised on your belly in bed or sitting
Absolutely stable.

Quote:
Probably the biggest difference is that it rotates the reader so, when you lie sidewards, the text lines are always parallel to your eye line.
Why cannot you rotate it on "my" (mind you, I don't use any book chair, I prefer to use my hands, so I am not trying to "sell" anything, but I did experiment with my book chair) book chair?

astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #167
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Questions, questions, good

To explain easier, I'll call mine the DIY and the other, the standard.

Stability is perfect for the standard on a flat surface, not that much on a roundish one because the base is a straight rod. The base will be touching in the center and you will not be able to keep both extremes of that rod in touch with your belly at the same time (considering an average belly ). The risk of tilt is there alright. The curvature of the DIY prevents that, therefore, more stability.

On the other hand, you cannot rotate the standard because it does not have an axis to rotate on. The DIY is specifically designed to rotate the ebook wile keeping the supporting part always in place. You can place the ebook sidewards in the standard, but the ebook will not be properly attached and will most likely shift every time you pass page or mive in bed. ANd it can drop. It is never propperly attached actually, since it is just held in place (not fixed) by these two pins, designed to hold paper books. The DIY keeps it fixed in place with two laces. The Reader just can't fall off the stand. You can see all this in the youtube video of the DIY string.

I am not trying to sell anything either (well, maybe I am trying to sell the design right now ). The plans are there for anyone to use and the procedure is quite simple. I tried to get them as accurate and complete as possible so there is no info missing.

The reason why I designed this is mainly to read comfortably when lying sidewards and I couldn't get that with the ones I found for sale. The design turned out to work great in any normal position, though (lying on your back or sitting). And it is specifically designed for the PRS 505, not for paper books of different sizes. You don't need to believe me, but the difference is huge.

But hey, this is just my little contribution. No one is forced to try

The important thing is reading, after all...

Hope this helps
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #168
shirleybaird
shirleybaird began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen gen3
unrequested titles

I have loaded a number of books onto the cybook with titles I didn't expect. Is there any way to change the titles, short of deleting them and going back to do it 'right'?
thanks
Shirley
shirleybaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #169
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleybaird View Post
I have loaded a number of books onto the cybook with titles I didn't expect. Is there any way to change the titles, short of deleting them and going back to do it 'right'?
thanks
Shirley
You, um, might have better luck getting an answer to that question over in one of the Cybook forums, shirleybaird, you've wandered into one of the Sony areas.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:38 AM   #170
sam1am
Enthusiast
sam1am began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Here's a tip for you guitar players out there - keep your guitar chords, tabs, sheet music, chord charts, whatever in printed PDF files. That way you can simultaneously impress the ladies by playing guitar and disgust them by pulling out a big weird looking nerd gadget at the same time.
sam1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #171
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It might be of interest to know that eskin has posted an LRF book of DADGAD and Drop-D guitar chords:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10444
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:58 AM   #172
poloman
Enthusiast
poloman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505, Kindle 3G
sorry - this may be a silly question, but is there a way of skipping to a page in a book which doesnt have a table of contents?
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #173
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
sorry - this may be a silly question, but is there a way of skipping to a page in a book which doesnt have a table of contents?
Have you tried entering the page number? Or are you trying to find a way to go to Chapter 5 without knowing the page number?

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #174
poloman
Enthusiast

ahhh - proves how sily my question was - really should read the manual - but until then, how do i enter the page number?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #175
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
ahhh - proves how sily my question was - really should read the manual - but until then, how do i enter the page number?
Input the page number using the number keys on the right side of the Reader. Press Enter.

And if you've still got the User Guide on your Reader, look at page 40.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #176
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #177
poloman
Enthusiast

lol yep - I'm officially stupid! will teach me to get over zealous with the delete key! I'll get my coat....
Old 12-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #178
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
lol yep - I'm officially stupid! will teach me to get over zealous with the delete key! I'll get my coat....
oh yes, i hope you're very embarassed, because nobody else here has EVER made a mistake or been overly zealous with the delete key. you are the only one. ever. really.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #179
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
lol yep - I'm officially stupid!
Nah, that would qualify as ignorant, not stupid: ignorant can be treated with knowledge, but stupid is terminal.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #180
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Here's a link to the PRS505 manual in PDF format, just in case you accidentally deleted it:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod....pl?mdl=PRS505
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote