Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
eanach1
eanach1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best option for reading large pdf files?

Hey everyone, I just came across this site and I'm really hoping someone can help me. I am looking to upgrade my phone and really want a good option for reading relatively large pdf files- around the 10mb size as there are a few I use on regular basis for research.

Now I a considering the sony prs 600 e-reader which I have read is better than 700 and 505, but ideally I think I'd love a mobile phone that has physical qwerty keyboard and multitouch screen that can handle these files as I need to upgrade my phone anyway and don't want to buy both a phone and ereader if I can help it.

I can find resistive touchscreen with physical qwerty keyboard such as sony ericsson xperia which I've heard can handle these large pdf files, but I can't find the multitouch option... and sadly I am avoiding the iphone...as there is no physical keyboard and this is really important to me.

Has anyone any idea what I should do? Is there a phone out there that can fit the spec of qwerty keyboard and multitouch screen, and do large pdf files?

Or is it the sony prs 600?

Any help would be really appreciated.. I have spent hours reading this up and this is really as far as I can get I think!

Thanks a mil.
eanach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
Cactusgod
Enthusiast
Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Hey, sorry no one has gotten back to you here, but the PDF forum always seems extremely slow.

At any rate, heres the situation. PDF files, at least from my experience, have been a nagging problem for most readers. Only by using specific programs, like Calibre, have many of us been able to convert our PDF files into ePub books, which makes them relatively easy to read on an ereader. The PDF files, for the most part, come out great, although rarely I have encountered formatting errors and such. Otherwise, most of the PDF files i've put onto my PRS-300 have worked out great.

So heres, I guess, the main thing you need to look at. Start looking for phones capable of reading ePub books, if they exist, or some kind of format, maybe Mobi or whatever, though I'm not really familiar with it, so that you can convert any pdf's you like into those formats and send them to the phone.

I personally dont know of any phones off the top of my head. Theres one other thing to consider. The PRS-600 is good, but in reality I personally enjoy the PRS-300 better. Its personal preference, but if you're used to looking at a crystal clear backlit screen, then adjusting to a non-backlit screen will certainly be difficult enough. However, for me, I found the PRS-600 to be a lot more cloudy and unclear as far as the screen was concerned, so put that on top of the no backlight and it might upset you. Other people arent bothered by it, but I wanted to give you a heads up.

But yeah, I mean, otherwise, I would personally maybe call up your phone company and ask them what they'd recommend.
Cactusgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The best option is an Irex Reader 1000S or an Kindle DX (both more expensive than the Sony Reader but it might be worth it).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The best option is an Irex Reader 1000S or an Kindle DX (both more expensive than the Sony Reader but it might be worth it).
Please note that this thread is about reading PDFs with a large *file*size, not about reading PDFs with large paper dimensions. These suggestions seem geared for the latter.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
My father wanted to read a large pdf (lot of image). Resizing it using pdf creator or adobe pdf helped
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Please note that this thread is about reading PDFs with a large *file*size, not about reading PDFs with large paper dimensions. These suggestions seem geared for the latter.
It doesn't matter - for huge pdfs a 1000S or Kindle DX is still the best option. A lot of PDF Reader are crashing if the PDFs are too big (at least the Sony Reader 500 crashs if it's too big)
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
How about the Nokia N900? I have it and really like it. It doesn't have multi-touch, but I think it's a great phone
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote