Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Password protected purchases

I'm thinking of getting a Kindle Fire. But I have 2 concerns.

1) I've read that the Fire is sent in a condition where anyone who steals it can start making purchases without the need of a password. Is this still so?

2) In an article "Amazon Releases Software Update For Kindle Fire With Great New Features [Updates]" it says "This update includes the ability to password protect purchases made on your device ...."

But a little further down it seems to say that this is part of "parental controls".

I don't need to keep anyone who picks up my Fire from seeing it's content, BUT I want to keep EVERYONE from accidentally, or intentionally, making any purchases on it.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Fire forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Harry, I never paid much attention to the Kindle forum 'til now.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post

1) I've read that the Fire is sent in a condition where anyone who steals it can start making purchases without the need of a password. Is this still so?

2) In an article "Amazon Releases Software Update For Kindle Fire With Great New Features [Updates]" it says "This update includes the ability to password protect purchases made on your device ...."

But a little further down it seems to say that this is part of "parental controls".

I don't need to keep anyone who picks up my Fire from seeing it's content, BUT I want to keep EVERYONE from accidentally, or intentionally, making any purchases on it.
Yes, the new update does now include "Parental Controls" which allow you to require a password to be entered before any purchases. There are still some tweaks to be made by Amazon, but they seem to have heard and are responding to the requests for more security options.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
This is a somewhat misunderstood topic. GoSharks is correct that parental controls in 6.3.1 enables password protection for digital purchases. However, even without those controls, the notion that "anyone who steals (a KF) can start making purchases without the need of a password" was never correct. Here's how it works without invoking parental controls.

() "One click" ordering for NON-DIGITAL items (e.g. real books, dvds, cds, lawn furniture, Caribbean vacations, etc.) is controlled at the Amazon account level on the web. If one click ordering is turned off at that level, no one can use the KF (or any other device) to order non-digital products without an Amazon account password.

() Even with "one click" ordering turned ON, non-digital products can only be ordered to be delivered to the address associated with your account. Trying to use the KF to order a flat screen tv to be delivered somewhere else triggers the requirement for an Amazon account password. You can order a product to be delivered to another physical address (e.g. a gift) but doing so will trigger the requirement for a password at the Amazon account level.

() However, until the latest OS update, even if you turn off "one click" ordering on the Amazon website DIGITAL content (ebook, app, mp3, etc.) can still be ordered without a password for YOUR KF. But only for that Kindle Fire. i.e. No one can order an e-book or any other DIGITAL product and download it to another device without an account password.

() The new "parental control" feature just extends the security for the DIGITAL content, preventing someone from accidentally or purposely downloading an app, an ebook, or an mp3 to your KF without a separate password (stored on the KF not necessarily the Amazon account password on the server).

Last edited by jsh1120; 05-05-2012 at 06:25 PM.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
If your Kindle Fire was stolen, just unregistering the device at the Amazon site will totally disable it for any purpose and alert Amazon to be on the lookout for that device.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:

And just to clarify for you a little bit more, just because they put this new feature under "parental controls " doesn't mean you have to hide or lock anything else. You can, if you want, lock wifi or lock video playback, but I just chose to lock purchases so I don't have to worry that a friend or family member playing with my Fire will accidentally click and make a purchase. It's a welcome feature.

You should get one! We've got 6 of them in my extended family now.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
SameOldStory
My True Self

I'll probably get one, but my question was due to a Kindle Fire review that I read on Amazon.com.

I usually start at the bottom (one star reviews) and work my way up. More than a few one star reviews are written by people who have absolutely no clue how to use what ever it is that they bought. A lot of those reviews can be laughed off, but on occasion someone has a good point.

The one that struck me was a long, one star, review by "guest" - "FRAUD on the Fire!! Deregister yours before it ships!, November 18, 2011"

The more or less short part is this:
Spoiler:
Home I go, and straight to the lovely box waiting at my door that has 'Kindle Fire' written all over it - only to find that the box was already opened!!!
It was empty - the sad little brown wrapper from what I assume once held the charger or cables staging at me in silence. The box itself was all put back together - the quasi-origami design of the packaging made it impossible to tell it had already been opened until you got up close for a good look. But there was absolutely nothing inside - not even an invoice.
After picking my jaw (and heart) up off the floor, I immediately called Amazon. To their credit, the customer service lady was incredibly nice, efficient and sincere. She offered to ship out a replacement immediately. I was sad at what happened, and at having to wait longer, but it was resolved, at least. Or so I thought....
The next morning, I casually checked my email, and was stunned to find 21 separate emails from Amazon thanking me for my order. (Plus one from my bank, warning me of unusual activity on my card.) Amazon was thanking me for ordering almost $300 worth of mp3s from my brand new kindle fire!!!
So, obviously I didn't order the music, the low-life scum who stole my fire did.
So, 3 days of hell, 2 calls to my bank, 1 in-person visit to my bank, 1 call to Amazon, 2 chat sessions with Amazon later, and at least one more call to the bank to go (because no, they can't do a darn thing about the charges until they finish posting to your account, authorized doesn't count)

In so far as someone ordering something for their own use is concerned, that may not be their intent. About 25 or 30 years ago I knew a guy who worked for a car dealer. Their manager was a real petty (ummm) pain in the butt. When the manager went on vacation someone got into his office took his company credit card and maxed it out. All items, including some "adult toys", were sent to his office. Nothing ordered (so far as my friend knew) was taken. That wasn't their intention.

Something similar may have happened to "guest". Whoever stole it may just have been "having fun".

I have one click turned off on my account. That one always seemed like a no brainer to me.

If "parental controls" can lock out ALL purchases by requiring a password then I'll be happy.

But let me rephrase question #1;
1) I've read that the Fire is sent in a condition where anyone who steals it (BEFORE you get home and open the box) can start making purchases without the need of a password. Is this still so?

Pre-registering it makes some sense in that it establishes it as "yours" and may make it harder for someone else to sell.

Having said all of this, the debit card I use for internet purchases only has enough money in it to keep the account open. I only put extra money in it to make a purchase. I've had my credit info stolen 3 times over the years and don't intend to take any chances.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I'll probably get one, but my question was due to a Kindle Fire review that I read on Amazon.com.

I usually start at the bottom (one star reviews) and work my way up. More than a few one star reviews are written by people who have absolutely no clue how to use what ever it is that they bought. A lot of those reviews can be laughed off, but on occasion someone has a good point.

The one that struck me was a long, one star, review by "guest" - "FRAUD on the Fire!! Deregister yours before it ships!, November 18, 2011"

The more or less short part is this:
Spoiler:
Home I go, and straight to the lovely box waiting at my door that has 'Kindle Fire' written all over it - only to find that the box was already opened!!!
It was empty - the sad little brown wrapper from what I assume once held the charger or cables staging at me in silence. The box itself was all put back together - the quasi-origami design of the packaging made it impossible to tell it had already been opened until you got up close for a good look. But there was absolutely nothing inside - not even an invoice.
After picking my jaw (and heart) up off the floor, I immediately called Amazon. To their credit, the customer service lady was incredibly nice, efficient and sincere. She offered to ship out a replacement immediately. I was sad at what happened, and at having to wait longer, but it was resolved, at least. Or so I thought....
The next morning, I casually checked my email, and was stunned to find 21 separate emails from Amazon thanking me for my order. (Plus one from my bank, warning me of unusual activity on my card.) Amazon was thanking me for ordering almost $300 worth of mp3s from my brand new kindle fire!!!
So, obviously I didn't order the music, the low-life scum who stole my fire did.
So, 3 days of hell, 2 calls to my bank, 1 in-person visit to my bank, 1 call to Amazon, 2 chat sessions with Amazon later, and at least one more call to the bank to go (because no, they can't do a darn thing about the charges until they finish posting to your account, authorized doesn't count)

In so far as someone ordering something for their own use is concerned, that may not be their intent. About 25 or 30 years ago I knew a guy who worked for a car dealer. Their manager was a real petty (ummm) pain in the butt. When the manager went on vacation someone got into his office took his company credit card and maxed it out. All items, including some "adult toys", were sent to his office. Nothing ordered (so far as my friend knew) was taken. That wasn't their intention.

Something similar may have happened to "guest". Whoever stole it may just have been "having fun".

I have one click turned off on my account. That one always seemed like a no brainer to me.

If "parental controls" can lock out ALL purchases by requiring a password then I'll be happy.

But let me rephrase question #1;
1) I've read that the Fire is sent in a condition where anyone who steals it (BEFORE you get home and open the box) can start making purchases without the need of a password. Is this still so?

Pre-registering it makes some sense in that it establishes it as "yours" and may make it harder for someone else to sell.

Having said all of this, the debit card I use for internet purchases only has enough money in it to keep the account open. I only put extra money in it to make a purchase. I've had my credit info stolen 3 times over the years and don't intend to take any chances.
Short answer on this is that you can order it as a gift and it will come unregistered. Then you can register it after you receive it. I've never bothered to do this except on the ones that WERE gifts, but some people do.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Short answer on this is that you can order it as a gift and it will come unregistered. Then you can register it after you receive it. I've never bothered to do this except on the ones that WERE gifts, but some people do.
THAT'S A WINNER. Thanks.

I wouldn't be "bothered by that at all.

Thanks, again.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'm glad they've added the "parental control" of passwords for purchase. Kinda helps keep me in check with the impulse buys I make on occasion.

Hope that you enjoy your Fire (should you get one). They're fun and useful!
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
On the contrary, for me, one-click ordering is one of the best things about Amazon. I'm not bothered in the slightest by the thought of someone stealing my Kindle and using it to buy stuff. If that happens, all I have to do is deregister the Kindle from my Amazon account, and fraudulent purchases will be refunded.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Purchase password on Kindle Fire

I went ahead and set a purchase password through parental controls as follows:

Parental Controls: On
Web Browser: Blocked
Password protect purchases: On
Password protect video playback: Off
Block and unblock content types: Unblocked
Password protect WiFi: Off

If password is forgotten, reset to factory defaults and it will be removed.
(Settings \ More \ Device \ Reset to Factory Defaults)

Thus, it really only protects against an accidental purchase which could be reversed by a call to Customer Support anyway. If the device is stolen, the thief could easily remove the password protection by a reset. One must still deregister the device then for protection.

I only buy my ebooks using my PC at the Amazon site and then download the ebook to my Kindle Fire and Kindle Keyboard. Thus, I really don't need purchases enabled on my Kindle Fire. My wife borrows books on my Kindle Keyboard and that will probably not be affected.

The only disadvantage of this is that internet access by the web browser is blocked. I never use the Fire to go on the internet anyway. My apps should still have internet access via WiFi which I left on.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #14
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Well, pretty much all purchases enabled by the AMAZON CONTROLLED APPS....if you have the web browser enabled, and you have a bookmark to B&N or Joe's Appliances that let's you buy without a password, Amazon can't help with that.
(Although the controls can also disable the web browser.)

If your concern is not guarding against purchases by authorized users, then you can also just enable a device password, so a thief could not even wake the device up.

I uses parental controls only on my son's Fire to prevent him from accidentally spending the money in his account while exploring.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard

Web browser TOTALLY blocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Well, pretty much all purchases enabled by the AMAZON CONTROLLED APPS....if you have the web browser enabled, and you have a bookmark to B&N or Joe's Appliances that let's you buy without a password, Amazon can't help with that.
(Although the controls can also disable the web browser.)
Once the password is enabled, the web is blocked totally. It cannot be enabled unless Parental Controls are turned off. Apps can still access the web and purchases of add-ons could be made there.

The Web is grayed out on the main screen, a padlock is shown there and a link is shown in the Notification bar.

Last edited by sirmaru; 05-07-2012 at 12:12 PM.