Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Bluefire Reader for Android

Bluefire Reader for Android now available on the Android Market!
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'll have to check it out. Right now I'm using Moon+/Mantano. Both excellent readers It will be interesting to see how Bluefile measures up. (Market link)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
That looks promising, I'll give it a look at myself thanks.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
sherbs
Enthusiast
sherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheese

Device: Eee Pad, Galaxy S2
Just had a quick look. Don't want to give a bad review just yet as it's got 5 out of 5s so far.

Initial thoughts - very good with pdf mags, the quickest I've come across.

Not much in the way of customising library or or appearance.

Couldn't find a way to exit the app. Pushing the back button did just that, took me back through everything I'd opened.

Don't like apps that force me to use a particular directory for books.

Still, I'm keeping it for pdfs if nothing else.

Using it on an Eee Pad, by the way.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Is the Home button not available to leave the app? That is how I leave most of them.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
sherbs
Enthusiast
sherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheese

Device: Eee Pad, Galaxy S2
Quote:
Is the Home button not available to leave the app? That is how I leave most of them.
Yes, you can leave all apps by using the home button. I'm just used to using the back button to close apps. This app's back button behaviour is just weird to me. Open library, open a book, turn a few pages, hit back and you're in the library, hit back again, you're back in the book, back>library, back>book and on and on. Never seen that in an app before. No big deal but enough to mention IMO.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Yet another app with menu fonts so small and dim as to be usable. I can think of no reason to use this app.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
some problems with this: several of their buttons are so closely laid out that its sometimes difficult to access them, (And that too in the Dell Streak).
Also the back button doesnt work to move out of the app like it does in most other apps.

Otherwise seems like the good old iphone app.

If only they add a file system browser..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
This is a good first step and looks nice. It still does not compare to some of the better eReaders like Montano or Moon+, but it's a good first start. It's also a bit too iPhonish and doesn't make use of the Android file system. After they fix some issues it can be a nice reader.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'd like to see some tweaks for tablets, things like: smaller images in Library view, 2 column option in landscape, etc. And yes, ability to open an .epub/.pdf from Bluefire regardless of where it is located would be nice (having to put things in /mnt/sdcard/Bluefire/imports/ seems a little weird but I'm relatively new to Android and don't know what the conventions look like yet.

Bluefire is the only app that I've found (so far) that can 'verify loan' to open a library ePub that I downloaded previously with ADE on my desktop and moved over to Android storage. All the other Adobe RMSDK apps (including Overdrive) give an error.

However, Aldiko and Overdrive are the only apps (that I've found) that can open an .acsm file and fulfill the download. And then, only if I use a 3rd party file manager like Astro. None of the other Adobe RMSDK apps I have are available as choices (txtr, Mantano, Bluefire).

Ideally, I'd like to skip the ADE step and just download the .acsm on a computer, put it in my Dropbox folder, and choose the app for fulfilling after downloading to Android. Dropbox doesn't offer a way to choose an app for opening .acsm, however, so again I seem limited to using Astro and the 2 choices it gives me. Things are smoother on iOS...

Another example of weirdness: I can open .epub with Bluefire from Dropbox, but not from Astro: Bluefire doesn't appear on its list of apps that can open .epub. I tend to blame Astro for this and may have to look at a different file manager.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
BluefireTim
BluefireTim knows what time it isBluefireTim knows what time it isBluefireTim knows what time it isBluefireTim knows what time it isBluefireTim knows what time it isBluefireTim knows what time it isBluefireTim knows what time it isBluefireTim knows what time it isBluefireTim knows what time it isBluefireTim knows what time it isBluefireTim knows what time it is

Device: Xoom, Nexus S, iPhone, iPad, etc
=X=, you pretty much nailed it, we made the app to iPhone-ish, and we're learning to fix that now. In particular, we are changing the back button functionality so that it will pop you out of the app like a regular Android app does. That fix should be available as an update from the android market early next week.

Thanks for the note about .acsm issue on Dropbox/Astro. We will look at them and see if there is a way open them. As Tomsem noted, if you fulfill the book using ADE first and then drop it into dropbox, you can easily open it in Bluefirereader from the popup menu.

As for being able to open .acsm files in the browser, unfortunately this is appears to be a bug in the Android browser itself. It has been filed under Issue 17205. If anyone who is having this issue wants to look it up and star it, that may help to expedite the process of fixing it.
BluefireTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Am also unable to open .acsm email attachments (which works on iOS). Don't know if that's the same issue as browser, or something else.

Still trying to figure out how to get something other than Overdrive to download a book from Overdrive's web site. With Safari/iOS it required a 'bookmarklet' (some javascript that's run when at the download page) or a different browser that lets you set an appropriate user agent. No doubt something like that might work here too—haven't had time to investigate further.

At any rate my goal is to be able to do the whole library borrowing workflow on Android without having to use a second device (and using an application other than Overdrive).
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Welcome to Mobileread Tim

I'll give this a try. Moon+ is perfect for my non-library books, but I'm still missing features for library books. Overdrive lets me turn pages with my arrow keys, but won't lock the screen orientation. Can't recall how customizable it is in terms of viewing options. Aldiko will lock the screen in portrait and is super customizable, but won't let me turn pages with my arrow keys (last time I checked at least). My attempts to convince Aldiko to add the arrow key option have been unsuccessful thus far.

I'd love to find an overdrive replacement that locks screen orientation, can turn pages with whatever button you like (or at least with the arrow keys), and allows me to custom set color and size and spacing and other visual options.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #14
DT_br
DT_br began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab
Just downloaded and tried it. For Epub books the functionality is OK - although limited. The menu system is very bad so maybe I missed something, but here are my thoughts:
My main interest in using it is for .pdf books. Almost no (actually none that I could find) options for adjusting .pdf books. No night view. Doesn't seem to have reflow - which is really bad for Android system used on everything from phones to netbooks. Result - couldn't read most of my non-drm pdf files - even instruction manuals the print was hard to get right and had to resize each page. Also no exit feature which means its operational until you turn it off through system.
DT_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Actually, there is a night mode and, unlike some other readers, it works with image based PDF.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote