Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Richard443
Member Retired
Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket eDGe
PE - WiFi will not connect

Background - several days ago I began to have problems connecting my PE to the Verizon router WIFI. I had previously downloaded WiFi scanner app and played with it. Thinking it might be the cause of my problem I uninstalled it. Made no difference. Also confirmed I had the SSID, WAP and Password correctly entered by reentering the information. Did not solve problem. Read everything I could find in the archives and the current forums and did not see a solution. Maybe I missed it.

Problem description: In the Wi-Fi settings screen "Wi-Fi" is scanning. In the "Wi-Fi networks" My router "ED9E7" reads "Disabled, secured with WEP". I depress the row with router name, pop-up asks if I want to connect to the network. I click "Connect to Network". Goes into Obtaining IP address. The Wi-Fi row reads disconnected and the router row again reads "Disabled, secured with WEP".

I now attempt to Add Wi-Fi network. I add my SSID "ED9E7, I select from Security "WEP". I then add my Password: the Verizon router Id. I have selected for when entering the password: Show password". I select "save".
Settled down to what was in the first problem except that the Wi-Fi row reads, off and on, "Scanning..."and the router row again reads "Disabled, secured with WEP".

Conclusion - something is wrong and are there any suggestions for fixing the problem.

Richard
Richard443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Are you rooted/have you been messing around with root and or wifi outside of the scanner app?
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
I and others have been able to correct similar router problems by shutting the router off for a short time. When turned back on all was well.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

last week while messing around with enabling ad-hoc I accidentally messed up a file and had to revert to a backup, though I don't think thats the problem if you haven't rooted... it might be the case that the wifi program did so though, in which case I can send you the backup and you can try and copy it in place...
Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Richard443
Member Retired
Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you for the amazingly fast responses.
1. Not rooted.
2. Turned of the power to the router several times. No change. Also, my laptop connects to the router without a problem.
3. I uninstalled the wifi scanner program per my initial request.

Richard

Last edited by Richard443; 07-06-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: more information
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard443 View Post
Thank you for the amazingly fast responses.
1. Not rooted.
2. Turned of the power to the router several times. No change. Also, my laptop connects to the router without a problem.

Richard
I know it sounds dumb but I'm running out of idea's lol, have you tried turning off and turning back on the PE/EE? Sorry if you've tried already, I'll try and think of other solutions as well...
Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Richard443
Member Retired

Emusan,

Yes I have turned the PE on and off several times.

Thinking about some of your questions when I was fooling around with the wifi scanner app it allowed me to select a channel to use - maybe it was 11. I thought I always went back to "All" which I think allowed the wifi in the PE to scan all the channels and hook up with the router channel which is set to 6. Not sure. I think I had the problem before the wifi app but maybe not.

Maybe I should take you abou on your backup file offer. Am I correct in thinking I just replace the my file with your file as I view it on my computer? Just in case I can label the file I am replacing as "filenameold." Shouldn't hurt - right?
Richard
Old 07-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
emusan
lol

Quote:
Emusan,

Yes I have turned the PE on and off several times.

Thinking about some of your questions when I was fooling around with the wifi scanner app it allowed me to select a channel to use - maybe it was 11. I thought I always went back to "All" which I think allowed the wifi in the PE to scan all the channels and hook up with the router channel which is set to 6. Not sure. I think I had the problem before the wifi app but maybe not.

Maybe I should take you abou on your backup file offer. Am I correct in thinking I just replace the my file with your file as I view it on my computer? Just in case I can label the file I am replacing as "filenameold." Shouldn't hurt - right?
Richard
We could, but in fact if you're not rooted the file should not have changed at all ... Also, you would need to root in order to replace it(among other things, its kind of complex actually). Could you try and get that app again and see if you can change the scan channels? That may have done it but I kinda doubt it... The other thing that may have happened is that that app tried to use a different device than what the PE uses(PE uses mlan0 AFAIK), though I don't really know how that could have happened, I'm not that great at android... Maybe someone else here will know more. Hopefully we'll get this fixed!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Richard443
Member Retired

I would love to get the app but unfortunately I don't know how to get it without the wifi. Is there a way?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
emusan
lol

yes, if you have a thumb drive or microSD card you can copy it over to that and open it with ES File explore, or you can even just use the USB cable that came with the edge, copy it over, then open with ES File explore and it should install...
Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
I would love to get the app but unfortunately I don't know how to get it without the wifi. Is there a way?
Google for "filename".apk. Load onto a usb stick; then using esfilemanager on edge load and install.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Richard443
Member Retired

Sorry, how do I get it to download from Amazon to my PC?

Last edited by Richard443; 07-06-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
emusan
lol

oh, its from the appstore, I guess they don't allow downloads from online... Do you remember the exact name of it? I can try to download it later today once I get a chance and send it to you. Hopefully someone else will also have a solution sooner...
Old 07-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
Richard443
Member Retired

Emausan - the name is Wifi Analyzer by farproc (App - July 1, 2011).
Richard

Last edited by Richard443; 07-06-2011 at 01:19 PM. Reason: n'ther typo
Old 07-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
emusan
lol

Quote:
Emausan - the name is Wifi Analyzer by farproc (App - July 1, 2011).
Richard
Okay, I'll download it as soon as I get the opportunity(might be an hour or two until I can get back on my PE), could you PM me your email so I can send it there?

Tags
wifi