Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #46
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've returned to 4.3.8871, but the stats are still jumping around; 50 hours total read time, 100 hours, 500 hours, 60 hours... the book is stuck at 0.8 hours read, which is impossible as I'm at around 20% of a book that would be like 600 pages in paper.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #47
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
At one point last week, I had approximately 293,000 reading hours, which was interesting enough, but it also showed a negative sign. Perhaps Kobo was calculating all those years I should have been reading more.

Now I see I'm back up to 307,186 reading hours! I feel much better. ;-)
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #48
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The reading stats problems could be at two distinct levels:

1. The data (e.g. reading session timestamps) are being recorded accurately but the device is calculating the stats from them incorrectly.

2. The data are not being recorded correctly.

If the problem is 1. then it will all sort itself out in the end and the stats should return to normal once the bugs are fixed. But if the problem is 2. then there might be no way to recover the stats for the books that were read with the faulty firmware versions.

I suspect that if the problem was 2. then Kobo would be treating it with more urgency, since it would be messing up their stats too. Luckily the current firmware is fine when it comes to actually reading books, so I am just going to keep my nose in one and forget about the stats for now.

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-20-2017 at 01:24 PM. Reason: ... their stats too ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #49
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Does the KA1 record the timestamps for each book, and then keep them forever? That must cause quite some (re)calculation after each book is finished. If the KA1 adds the last read book to a stored value, there's no need to keep the records of the previously read books, but if something goes wrong, it'll be wrong forever.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #50
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The in-book epub search is quite messed up though.. I have at least 2 books that can replicate that problem reliably on 2 differerent devices for the past 4 firmware releases.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The in-book epub search is quite messed up though.. I have at least 2 books that can replicate that problem reliably on 2 differerent devices for the past 4 firmware releases.
Are either of those books freely available?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #52
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are either of those books freely available?
Probably not in the sense you intended.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:40 PM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Probably not in the sense you intended.
Probably not. I was hoping to be able to obtain one for free and without copyright infringement issues so I could check if my Kobo had the same search issues. It sounds as if that is not going to be a possibility.

Any chance the book would be available from a library?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The reading stats problems could be at two distinct levels:

1. The data (e.g. reading session timestamps) are being recorded accurately but the device is calculating the stats from them incorrectly.

2. The data are not being recorded correctly.

If the problem is 1. then it will all sort itself out in the end and the stats should return to normal once the bugs are fixed. But if the problem is 2. then there might be no way to recover the stats for the books that were read with the faulty firmware versions.

I suspect that if the problem was 2. then Kobo would be treating it with more urgency, since it would be messing up their stats too. Luckily the current firmware is fine when it comes to actually reading books, so I am just going to keep my nose in one and forget about the stats for now.
I think it's both, but more #1. Kobo changed the way the data is store in the database recently. It was a BLOB, now it's a text string. I think they have messed up the reading of this in a couple of places as the updates seem to be happening and seem to be consistent (I can't fully read the data, but I can get an idea). There is also an extra place for hours read for each book that is being updated, but doesn't seem to be displayed or used anywhere. I know this was being messed up if there was a very long reading session. It also seems to get messed up at the end of the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 AM   #55
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

This is the third time I've had a firmware in which the stats were broken. I wonder why it's so hard getting this right. I wonder if it's even possible to get it right now that books that I've read in the past have long been removed from the device. There should at least be a button to reset the stats to zero.
You can reset your reading stats to zero. Under reading settings (on the second page) deselect "Track reading activity" then re-select it. That will reset the stats to zero and start all over again.

That being said, my reading stats have been wildly inaccurate on my Kobo Aura 1 from the beginning. I'm currently running firmware 4.2.8432. Aside from the reading stats issue and the left side light slider control "finicky-ness" I don't have any really issues with my reader, so don't see any reason to update the firmware. If I hear that either of these two bugs are fixed in a newer firmware version, I'll update.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Can you describe your problem(s) with the search? I've been having problems searching as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #57
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you describe your problem(s) with the search? I've been having problems searching as well.

It's the same problem as you described. When you search for a word, and tap the search result, the reader does not change pages. Nor does it change pages when tapping the next/previous arrows. This doesn't happen for every book, nor every search term.

For example, my current testing sample is a copy of Vampire Hunter D, Volume 1. If I search for 'vampire', The first 30 results do not work. Most of the the rest (but not all) *do* work.

I'm using this book as a testing example because it's small, has very simple formatting and passes all validation I can throw at it. If I find an affected book that can be posted here, I'll let you know.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #58
paulaf
paulaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Does this upgrade fix the issue I still have of library books not appearing to be licenced a DRM issue? I have resolved it temporarily by going back to software from December 2015.
paulaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The search bug still exists here. I just wish I know what the issue was with a perfectly good eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #60
lineager
lineager has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SONY PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I am not sure, but maybe you should check the integrity your database. You can do this by selecting (in KSM) tools > nickel divers.msh > check_database.sh (or something like that, I do not have my device with me right now).
Edited:
Thanks for your advice. The problem is solved after flashing the KSM08_ext_aura_one_04e.zip on KA1

Last edited by lineager; 03-22-2017 at 10:30 PM.
lineager is offline   Reply With Quote