Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Campaign For KF App To Organize Books

http://fireapps.blogspot.com/

Take a look see for info about this.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Hum, last time I looked, it doesn't cost a dime to develop for the KF, it just takes some time and effort. If they want to do it right, just look how they did it with Calibre.

If I were going to write an app, it would do two things, first it would sync with Calibre and second it would allow you to open up the book in your favorite reader. If you can do that, the the rest is pretty straight forward.

Of course, the issue is I'm not sure that Android and most of the ebook apps on Android support the functionality of allowing a third party app, for example start up the kindle app with a specified book.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Of course, the issue is I'm not sure that Android and most of the ebook apps on Android support the functionality of allowing a third party app, for example start up the kindle app with a specified book.
Doesn't the Dropbox app allow specifying what to open a file with? A friend of mine with an Android tablet said that when she selects an epub in Dropbox, it asks if she wants to open it with Mantano. I'm not sure how this functionality would be any different.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The description of the app isn't very specific, but this is probably for Kindle ebooks only. It likely won't be able to open the Fire's Kindle Reader app directly, since other apps are failing to do so. Perhaps it could produce a search string that would find the ebook you want within the Reader app.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
First off, you don't go and make a donation to a campaign like that with NOTHING to back up its legitimacy. Sure it might be backed by a company who'll give you back the money if they don't meet their goal, but what stops them from running off with your money if they do? I'm not saying that KFD would do that, but honestly, it surprises me that they've almost got $700+ donations this far.

I understand that it takes a large amount of time and dedication to research and build an application like this, being that I've been researching for the past three years and am now putting an app out there myself, but this seems like an idea that can go nowhere simply because of Amazon's non-existent APIs that would be needed to support it.

The next Kindle Fire will have collections, that is a FACT. There is no way Amazon would ignore something like that when it's been requested since day one. The KF1 will most definitely get that update once it comes out too.

It amazes me how this idea with no mockups, no video of how the app would function, and no information on how they're going to accomplish this in the first place is getting so much attention. $5,000? Which app developer are they using? This isn't exactly an accessory...
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Doesn't the Dropbox app allow specifying what to open a file with? A friend of mine with an Android tablet said that when she selects an epub in Dropbox, it asks if she wants to open it with Mantano. I'm not sure how this functionality would be any different.
No it only opens known files and mobi isn't known on the Kindle Fire. You have use a File manager app called File Expert to open the mobi once it's downloaded and placed in either docs or books folder. After you use File Expert to open the book it will then appear on the shelf with the others otherwise you have to restart the Fire to get them to show up. After all the updates I can't believe this isn't fixed yet.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No it only opens known files and mobi isn't known on the Kindle Fire. You have use a File manager app called File Expert to open the mobi once it's downloaded and placed in either docs or books folder. After you use File Expert to open the book it will then appear on the shelf with the others otherwise you have to restart the Fire to get them to show up. After all the updates I can't believe this isn't fixed yet.
Wow. That's a hopelessly convoluted process. It's also rather ironic that mobi is an unknown file type.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Wow. That's a hopelessly convoluted process. It's also rather ironic that mobi is an unknown file type.
Isn't it? It can't be to hard for them to fix it. Just have the Kindle app scan the two folders when we hit the sync button. This is how the Nook app works for sideloaded epub.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
The next Kindle Fire will have collections, that is a FACT.
You mean it's so obvious that it would be inconceivable if it didn't have collections, right? Because you could have said the same thing about the Fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
First off, you don't go and make a donation to a campaign like that with NOTHING to back up its legitimacy. Sure it might be backed by a company who'll give you back the money if they don't meet their goal, but what stops them from running off with your money if they do?
I guess the same thing could be said of pretty much every fundraising campaign ever. The question to ask yourself when looking at anything like this is, "Are these people planning on destroying their reputation by taking advantage of me?" The answer for me was no, and that's why you'll find me among the contributors.

Last edited by foreverjuly; 02-19-2012 at 05:44 PM.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
My point is that Kovid, the developer of Calibre, developed Calibre on his dime, put it out there and said, "here it is. If you like it, great. If you want to throw a small donation my way, great".

As I said, I don't think that what I would consider key features are currently supported on the kindle fire (the ability to select a book from your book organizer and automatically bring it up in your favorite ebook app).

I've got a book organizer on the iPad that I rarely use. It's a pretty neat program, but there isn't really any payoff for using it. It can't sync with Calibre on my mac, thus I have to manually enter books in it. Plus, it can't launch a book for me to read. With those limitations, it's just not very useful.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote