Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Video: Sony PRS-T1 Reader Wi-Fi

Sony is launching their new generation of Eink e-readers with this Sony Reader Wi-Fi, it supports dual touch using infrared technology. The Wi-Fi can be used for stuff like web browsing, Google searching, Wikipedia searching for words highlighted in any book and for downloading e-books from the web or even viewing e-books within the web browser.

Source: http://armdevices.net/2011/09/02/son...d-multi-touch/

Last edited by Charbax; 09-04-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm all for some self promotion, but just to be clear these videos (that you post often) are you, as is the source that you are self referencing (your own site)? Maybe a disclaimer making this clear would be nice.

I know there has been some discussion that the Kobo Touch is a little slow, but I'm sorry that SONY didn't look any faster if not slower. How did you find the responsiveness?
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
I'm all for some self promotion, but just to be clear these videos (that you post often) are you, as is the source that you are self referencing (your own site)? Maybe a disclaimer making this clear would be nice.
I filmed these videos so I'm the source.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #4
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbax View Post
I filmed these videos so I'm the source.
Yes I figured that out. Just thought it would have been nice for it to be clear that the thread poster, and source of content were one and the same.

Anyway curious on your thoughts with regards to my actual Q (you having played with it);

Quote:
I know there has been some discussion that the Kobo Touch is a little slow, but I'm sorry that SONY didn't look any faster if not slower. How did you find the responsiveness?
Old 09-05-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Yes I figured that out. Just thought it would have been nice for it to be clear that the thread poster, and source of content were one and the same.
Which difference does it make, as long as he does not work for Sony ?

Charbax is very well known here and on the "circuit" for his reports and videos to all the shows most of us cannot attend, and we appreciate his objectiveness so thanks again Charbax for making this one.
He does not work for one of the brands involved, as far as I know, so his videos are done from a consumer and not from a seller point of view.

It is nice to hear that you can download books with the browser. I got confused after reports you could not, but those were heresay anyway before any vids were out so there we are.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
molman
Evangelist

To be clear, not critiquing his work, or implying anything with regards to presentation or content (bias etc). I also enjoyed the video. I think I’ve been coming off as a little crabby today - need sleep me'thinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Which difference does it make, as long as he does not work for Sony ?
You don't find it relevant if we are discussing a post that it is the posters own work/experience verses just a post that is linking to a 3rd parties work?

Unlike you not all of us have heard of Charbax - I hadn't until there were 3 or 4 posts all in a row linking to the same source which I found curious until it became clear that it was Charbax producing the videos.

Anyway I'm still curious re: Charbax's thoughts on performance.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Thumbs up Excellent video work......

Charbax, thanks for the video , very interesting.

I wondered if you ascertained whether, when he said you can purchase in the internet, was he talking about from Google books and Sony only, or any ources that sell ebooks ? Like Main Street chains, for example.
It's the one fairly big (to me anyway) question I can't work out - because here in the UK we have at present no Sony Bookshop, and no Google books......

And tracing the links through on their website for T1 (I think) there is no mention of any specific source - which I find odd.

I appreciate I may have a bonnet with a bee in it, but I want to get one as a present foe someone, and I dunno when or where I'll get one. And, I don't know if it would be suitable for the proposed recipient - 'cos of the above. eXCELLENT...
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
My understanding so far, but I may be totally wrong, is that you can only BUY from the Sony Shop, so my assumption was you can't download books in general. But apparently you can.
I ask this because of calibre calibre2opds, of course.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
My understanding so far, but I may be totally wrong, is that you can only BUY from the Sony Shop, so my assumption was you can't download books in general. But apparently you can.
In the current reader store you can go to/download google books.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
You can buy from the Sony Store, download free books from Google Books, borrow books from your local library (if you library has ebooks) and download through the browser any unencrypted epub or pdf.

This info is all from the official Sony site and the press release.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony