Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Question Where / How to update firmware without Kobo Desktop?

Where I can find the firmware and update it without the Kobo Desktop application?

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 04-11-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
kevenv
Enthusiast
kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Where I can find the firmware and update it?
Plug your reader into the computer and launch Kobo desktop app. It will update automatically.
kevenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

And if I want to update it without the Kobo Desktop?
PS: thank you
Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
kevenv
Enthusiast
kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
And if I want to update it without the Kobo Desktop?
PS: thank you
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660
kevenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Where I can find the firmware and update it without the Kobo Desktop application?
There is a forum thread dedicated to download locations for Kobo firmware. One caution is that there are two versions of the Touch. The newer version uses the same firmware as the Glo and Mini, the older version uses a different version.

See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
If you just want the latest firmware, enable Wifi and I believe it will update automagically.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Thank you. Is there an official page with firmware announcement or do you discover those links by yourselves?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you. Is there an official page with firmware announcement or do you discover those links by yourselves?
For the Glo and Touch, the only announcements I have seen recently have come from third parties. Very often in this forum -- "I synced my Kobo last night and it upgraded to Vx.y.z". This triggers the feeding frenzy to locate the URL to download the new firmware prior to it being made available via Kobo's usual rolling update.

Regards,
David
Old 04-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Mh. It's not a point for Kobo... Thank you very much :-)
Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Mh. It's not a point for Kobo... Thank you very much :-)
Kobo has issued several firmware versions in specific markets to fix an issue in that market. The 2.15 firmware for Japanese Touch ereaders which ended up being used quite a few people outside of Japan since it had fixes for several bugs that were noted by non-Japanese users. The 2.04 update for, if memory serves me, for Australia and New Zealand devices that fixed a issue that prevented applying firmware updates.

The other item is that Kobo does not issue the update to all users at one time. The release is staggered which, in my opinion, is likely done to reduce the load on their servers. This may have led to the dual 2.40 versions -- see the firmware update download link thread for more on that oddity -- where they made some changes but did not change the version number.

Once your device comes up on the updateable list, your next connection either using the desktop app or WiFi will get you the update so getting a notification and then manually downloading the update is not really necessary save for those who prefer life on the bleeding edge.

Somewhat similar to my following what is going to be released by Microsoft on Patch Tuesday while most users are content to see what Windows Update delivers to their computer.

Regards,
David
Old 04-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #11
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

I agree with you when you say this is not a problem for the majority of users, but for the same reason the additional bandwidth will be very low... for what I know professional companies offers a firmware page.

Anyway it's not a big problem, I subscribed to the firmware thread