Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
vicinc
Edge User

what will make out Entourage Edge better than any tablet or eReader

it will be fantastic to do 4 things:
1) transfer any image/screen to e-ink screen. imagine you browse BBC News or New York Times on lcd screen and you want to read it in your sunny garden (not here in Manchester, UK), you just select this option and have it on the the e-ink. Entourage! I am very frustrated I can not read my favorite news in the garden, which I can do it on the AlexReader!
2) Read and answer to your emails outside in bright light! imagine the envy of the IPAD users!
3) use the lcd in display mode as a large full size keyboard while the word2go displays the text on the e-ink. Ideal for students and writers that are likely to use the EE tablet. Imagine again the perplex Ipad users. also will be gently on your eyes. I will love this
4) use the e-ink with stylus as a keyboard while having the full lcd as a laptop screen.
I will settle for 1 and 2 to start with. If I be EE I will open the device to developers. I has such a great potential. If camera and flash will work soon I hope, this will bring the unit to a new level. It is such a good device, but is lacking a lot. I just hope they sell enough to progress as a company and bring the software support on this device to what it could be. This can be better than a laptop replacement.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Soon, check the update release notes.

[QUOTE=vicinc;1576840]it will be fantastic to do 4 things:
1) transfer any image/screen to e-ink screen. imagine you browse BBC News or New York Times on lcd screen and you want to read it in your sunny garden (not here in Manchester, UK), you just select this option and have it on the the e-ink. Entourage! I am very frustrated I can not read my favorite news in the garden, which I can do it on the AlexReader!

It looks like at least one of your requests already came true, plus cam and Bluetooth.

Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Snepscheut
Edge User

Vicinc:I second that!

Jos

Old 05-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
ricco
Edge User

If the upcoming release iron out the touch screen issue, I will settle for just handwriting recognition, esp. for CJK languages. Actually, Chinese handwriting recognition has been available on a lot of android phones already. I have some of the apk packages. Just couldn't get them to work on Edge.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
vicinc
Edge User

I am afraid you are wrong Donna. The update is not doing what I am asking. I did ask for the ability to extend any page on the display to e-ink, whereever you are with a touch. what the update will do is
<<Support for viewing web pages on e-reader as epub or PDF file>> basically printing the page a epub or pdf and attaching it to the journal.
so will only work with stock browser and not browsers like opera, dolphin or skyfire and will be a long winding process. On alexreader you are able to touch a hard key and extend any screen from the lcd to epub. and is the same android. so should be very easy to implement on edge. basically you just do a screen dump than you dump it to e ink. it does not have to be interactive to start.
so you browse, or do whatever than press a menu key like pressing rotate hard (EDGE options, now is silent mode and power off, just add transfer screen to eInk) and you can read your bbc news or email outside in the garden.
you scroll back on lcd for the next page and do the same. it would be fantastic!! I hope I am heard here by the POWERS TO BE.

Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Well, it's a start anyway; and I do believe staff is listening and working hard to make this product what users want. BTW most of the world calls me Cheyenne.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
vicinc
Edge User

Sorry, I thought Cheyenne is a surname. Ignorant British that I am... Sorry again.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
Steed
Edge User

I agree Vicinc, those improvement ideas would make the eDGe rock that much better. Includde hyandwriting rec. and a dedicated app store and the eDGe would dominate all with no question.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
vicinc
Edge User

also lets hope that Skype will work soon on this. Verizon already released an Android Skype version. I am not talking Skype lite, but full Skype

Old 05-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
sarah11918
Edge User

I agree, it's an excellent wish list.

I'm OK right now with the "convert web page to pdf to read on e-ink side" because most of what I read is web pages printed off to pdf and imported into the journal. If this can happen more intuitively and seamlessly, then I'm thrilled. But, I look forward to seeing your wishes implemented.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
vicinc
Edge User

as i said it should be easy for developers to freeze any lcd image (like a screen dump) and transfer it to e ink screen. basic function really. AlexReader already has this on Android! Edge developers, is this a challenge for you? Alex Reader programmer you may have a position with Entourage!!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
fgruber
Edge User

I agree that being able to send whatever is in the LCD screen to the ink would be a useful feature. For instance we could use djvu files directly. But it is certainly not a replacement to this new feature that they implemented, that is, been able to print a document sending it to the eink. This is very convenient as well...

Old 05-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #13
vicinc
Edge User

you can do it now if you want. use scan2pdf to convert any image to pdf on android than ope on e-ink screen. Extending the lcd image to e-ink must be the future.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #14
Aaron
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
also lets hope that Skype will work soon on this. Verizon already released an Android Skype version. I am not talking Skype lite, but full Skype
Couldn't agree more about skype... I can't consider my eDGe fully functional without Skype.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
leibert
Edge User

I think one of the key steps will be to get developers working on this platform and really open it up to everyone's creativity. I see some reference to a pending SDK...any word on when we'll see that. I just recently got my eDGe and am looking forward to cranking some ideas out.