Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #286
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
@alexxx:
To generate a catalog of only the books installed on your device, you can use a spiffy new 0.7 feature.

In the Search bar, type ondevice:true, which will limit the displayed books to those found on your device.

The catalog builder uses the books shown in the current library view, so you'll get only those books actually on your device.

G
Old 06-13-2010, 03:19 AM   #287
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
@alexxx:
To generate a catalog of only the books installed on your device, you can use a spiffy new 0.7 feature.

In the Search bar, type ondevice:true, which will limit the displayed books to those found on your device.

The catalog builder uses the books shown in the current library view, so you'll get only those books actually on your device.

G
but that's PERFECT! Exactly what I needed - no need to add any new option then... thank you!

alessandro
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #288
Zebri
Zebri began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ereader
Firstly: Thankyou for a great product it helps amazingly with organising my ebooks.

Now for the question. I have read a lot of this thread but not all so I appologise if this has been answered before.

I and looking to create a catalog of my books for use on Sony reader I am after an Epub format as it seems the best.

However I am only really interested in the series information start to finish what I would like is a list of the books, organised by series in the series order

For example:

Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
+Death Gate Cycle
+ 1: 01 Dragon Wing
+ 2: 02 Elven Star
+ 3: 03 Fire Sea
+ 4: 04 Serpent Mage
+ 5: 05 The Hand Of Chaos
+ 6: 06 Into The Labyrinth
+ 7: 07 The Seventh Gate

This is perfect for what I wanted. But if there are multiple authors to a series it gets a little confusing (for me at least) i.e:

Steven Barnes
+Clone Wars
+ 2: 2 - The Cestus Deception
+ 3: 3 - The Hive
Michael Reaves & Steve Perry
+Clone Wars
+ 4: 4 - Medstar 1 - Battle Surgeons
+ 5: 5 - Medstar 2 - Jedi Healer
David Sherman & Dan Cragg
+Clone Wars
+ 6: 6 - Jedi Trial
Sean Stewart
+Clone Wars
+ 7: 7 - Yoda - Dark Rendezvous
Matthew Stover
+Clone Wars
+ 1: 1 - Shatterpoint

These are not organised in the correct order of the series but are organised by the author.

I'm also not interested in a description of the books for the first 83 pages

I could of course create a list by hand and if what I would like isn't available then I will I just didn't want to duplication the work if I didn't have to

Either which way thankyou for taking the time to read my post.

Regards
Zebri
PS Sorry for the long post.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #289
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Zebri:
Feel free to create an enhancement request.

G
Old 06-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #290
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
@alexxx:

Awesome.
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #291
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Thank You!

This was what I really wanted, just a way to view only books on my device, this helps me out tremendously. This way I can browse the catalog for my next book instead of looking books up on the web all the time. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #292
bbildman
bbildman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I created a new catalog of all my books without problem and copied it to my Kindle. OK, now I added a few books to Calibre and will send them to Kindle....now is it possible to APPEND these books into the catalog on both Kindle and Calibre, or do I need to create a brand new catlog and overwrite the one on Kindle??

Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #293
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbildman View Post
I created a new catalog of all my books without problem and copied it to my Kindle. OK, now I added a few books to Calibre and will send them to Kindle....now is it possible to APPEND these books into the catalog on both Kindle and Calibre, or do I need to create a brand new catlog and overwrite the one on Kindle??

Thanks
You have to build a new catalog. No way to append.

G
Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 AM   #294
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I've exported a CSV catalog and opened that in Excel. For the pub date, I have this: 1987-06-14T09:00:00+00:00. How do I convert that to the Month, Day, Year?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:41 AM   #295
GRiker

da_jane:
Excel programming goes beyond the general bounds of calibre support, but in the interest of happy calibre campers, here's how you can convert a calibre timestamp to an Excel date:
Code:
=DATE(MID(A1,1,4),MID(A1,6,2),MID(A1,9,2))
The formula will convert the calibre date in cell A1 to an Excel date, which you can then format as you wish using Excel's date formatting.

G
Old 06-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #296
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Thanks GRiker!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #297
AutumnDreamer
Enthusiast
AutumnDreamer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 2
I hope this is okay to post here. I tried to search but didn't come up with anything so far. When creating a catalog I would like a much similar and smaller one. Perhaps just Title/Author/Description and even just Author/Title. Is there a way to do that? I saw where I could get rid of the option to generate the tags in the catalog, but the generated catalog is still quite large. I want to be able to share what books I have with friends but if they see how big of a file 1,500 books creates with the default settings, they won't bother to browse the catalog!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #298
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnDreamer View Post
I hope this is okay to post here. I tried to search but didn't come up with anything so far. When creating a catalog I would like a much similar and smaller one. Perhaps just Title/Author/Description and even just Author/Title. Is there a way to do that? I saw where I could get rid of the option to generate the tags in the catalog, but the generated catalog is still quite large. I want to be able to share what books I have with friends but if they see how big of a file 1,500 books creates with the default settings, they won't bother to browse the catalog!
You can create a CSV catalog with only the fields you want, create a text file in your favorite spreadsheet program, import the text file to calibre, then create the ebook output format you want.

If you want the existing EPUB or MOBI format to have more (less) output options, create an enhancement request as detailed in the first post in this thread.

G
Old 06-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #299
AutumnDreamer
Enthusiast
AutumnDreamer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 2
Quick experimentation - I created a CSV file but now what? I created the CSV using the few options I wanted. Saved the file but then when I tried to convert it, I get an error message that no suitable format is available. I tried saving it as a text file but that didn't work either. The file came out to be 0 mb in size and when converted was empty.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #300
GRiker

Load the csv file into excel, create a text document from the csv formatted as you wish. You may have to study up on exporting text from a spreadsheet program. Save the formatted output file as a .txt file, which you will then import into calibre. In calibre, convert to your desired output format.

The key here is generating a .txt file from your .csv file in excel. Once calibre has a .txt file to work with, you're 90% there.

G
Closed Thread

Tags
book catalog