Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The Conquest of the Incas by John Hemming

This is the MR Literary Club selection for March 2013. If you've already read it or would like to read it, feel free to join in the conversation at any time!

Availability -
Amazon (UK)
Amazon (US)
B&N

So, what are you thoughts on it?

sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
If anyone is intimidated by the number of pages in the book, it appears that the supporting reference material starts at 64% on the Kindle version. There's a chronology and other useful material that appears at the beginning of the reference material, and I bookmarked it so I can quickly get to it while reading. The timeline looks especially helpful.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
If anyone is intimidated by the number of pages in the book, it appears that the supporting reference material starts at 64% on the Kindle version. There's a chronology and other useful material that appears at the beginning of the reference material, and I bookmarked it so I can quickly get to it while reading. The timeline looks especially helpful.
Thank you for this advice.
I bought the Kindle book at Amazon today and hope to have it finished by the end of this month, as I will be travelling in april.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
It sounds so good that I pulled out all stops, and now have a hardcover version coming to me from the UK via Abebooks. It's only costing me a couple of dollars more than getting an inter-library loan, and this way I get to keep it!

So I shall be joining in the conversation once I get my hands on it, probably in a week or two.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I've just noticed that the book is available from iBooks in the itunes Store. If you have an iPad it will be worth getting. I have the possibility of getting a copy from a good friend but she has the 1970 edition. The iBooks version is the 2012 copy so I've downloaded it. It's the same price as the Kindle version which isn't available for me here. And the formatting is excellent.

It looks very good on the iPad screen.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

delete

Last edited by fantasyfan; 03-09-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
fantasyfan
Wizard

In my excitement I posted the iBooks message twice. Sorry.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 03-09-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

802 pages; for some reason I can't bookmark it on the Kindle- app, so I made it an epub to read in iBooks.
I am interested in the actual happenings, but would also like to get an answer to the question (for myself;that is): is this non- fiction book literature?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
802 pages; for some reason I can't bookmark it on the Kindle- app, so I made it an epub to read in iBooks.
how could you possibly do that?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I am interested in the actual happenings, but would also like to get an answer to the question (for myself;that is): is this non- fiction book literature?
I only had a brief look at the first chapter, but so far I have to agree it does not seem very literary...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
how could you possibly do that?!

I only had a brief look at the first chapter, but so far I have to agree it does not seem very literary...
eh, eh....

The interesting thing about this book for me is that the writer has travelled extensively to the former Inca-countries, so he will have a special empathy for the history of these people. Perhaps, later on in the book, this empathy will translate itself in literary eloquence. I like what I've read so far.

Last edited by desertblues; 03-09-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: interpunction
Old 03-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update: Sorry, I don't think I can join you after all. The bookseller came back and wanted to charge me an extra $23.74 postage, and my budget won't justify that.

I'll be interested to hear what you all think about it.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
fantasyfan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Update: Sorry, I don't think I can join you after all. The bookseller came back and wanted to charge me an extra $23.74 postage, and my budget won't justify that.

I'll be interested to hear what you all think about it.
Have you tried ABE? They seem to have a number of very inexpensive copies.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...t+of+the+Incas

Book Depository also has a copy and gives free world-wide delivery. I've ordered a number of books from them and they have always been delivered reasonably quickly.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/sear...arch=Find+book
Old 03-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Thanks, fantasyfan. My original order was through Abe, and I haven't had that problem before, so was pretty disappointed. However, you encouraged me to go back and have another look and I have now ordered a paperback copy.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
fantasyfan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Thanks, fantasyfan. My original order was through Abe, and I haven't had that problem before, so was pretty disappointed. However, you encouraged me to go back and have another look and I have now ordered a paperback copy.
You're very welcome! I'm delighted that you will be participating. So far, I've quite enjoyed the book--though I'm only a bit into it.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I've just noticed that the book is available from iBooks in the itunes Store. If you have an iPad it will be worth getting. I have the possibility of getting a copy from a good friend but she has the 1970 edition. The iBooks version is the 2012 copy so I've downloaded it. It's the same price as the Kindle version which isn't available for me here. And the formatting is excellent.

It looks very good on the iPad screen.
Great suggestion! I never think of iBooks. I am enjoying reading this book better in the Kindle app on my iPad than e-ink. Easier to switch back and forth to the maps and other material. No problem with bookmarks for me. I downloaded the iBooks sample and it looks similar to the Kindle version except the iBooks version has a more detailed table of contents for the notes section.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote