Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #1081
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@trvs: Yup, use the current snapshot version .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #1082
trvs
trvs began at the beginning.

Device: 3g PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@trvs: Yup, use the current snapshot version .
thanks! worked instantly
trvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #1083
samhfoley
Enthusiast
samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle voyage and paperwhite 2
I just bought a Kindle PW2 from the US Amazon store, delivered in the USA Serial 9017 running FW 5.4.3.2 I have followed these steps several times yet "update your kindle" stays grayed out. Please help.
samhfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:58 AM   #1084
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhfoley View Post
I just bought a Kindle PW2 from the US Amazon store, delivered in the USA Serial 9017 running FW 5.4.3.2 I have followed these steps several times yet "update your kindle" stays grayed out. Please help.
Use packages from:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:10 AM   #1085
samhfoley
Enthusiast
samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle voyage and paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

I saw that posted last section, but I cannot figure out which to get. This link?
kindle-jailbreak-1.10.N-r10721.tar.xz

That doesn't get me a zip or a RAR file though...am I supposed to put that straight into the root directory? Sorry for my ignorance here.

got it through 7 zip. Thanks. Done!

Last edited by samhfoley; 08-02-2014 at 01:15 AM. Reason: figured it out
samhfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #1086
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhfoley View Post
I saw that posted last section, but I cannot figure out which to get. This link?
kindle-jailbreak-1.10.N-r10721.tar.xz

That doesn't get me a zip or a RAR file though...am I supposed to put that straight into the root directory? Sorry for my ignorance here.

got it through 7 zip. Thanks. Done!
Oh, you where wanting the "Device Jailbreak" -
My bad, this thread is for the "Device Jailbreak" !
The link I gave you is for **other** packages used on 9017 model.

The "Device Jailbreak" attached to the first post of this thread should "just work" (assuming you follow the directions).

The "Device Jailbreak" is not a signed package, it can not be, since that is what installs our signature certificate.

Last edited by knc1; 08-02-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #1087
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@knc1: It does fall under the same umbrella of needing updated packages in this case, though .
Old 08-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #1088
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: It does fall under the same umbrella of needing updated packages in this case, though .
Thanks!
I guess I was right for the wrong reason.
(This "help desk" work is getting to me I guess.)

Last edited by knc1; 08-02-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #1089
bl0cklkl
bl0cklkl began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw
hey guys!

i managed to jailbreak with this one, but no matter where i put the apps file, it dont recognize them.

any tip?

thanks in advance
bl0cklkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #1090
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl0cklkl View Post
hey guys!

i managed to jailbreak with this one, but no matter where i put the apps file, it dont recognize them.

any tip?

thanks in advance
What "apps" file?

Any of the update.bin packages should be placed in the root of the Kindle Drive (on Windows, usually E:\ ) just like the jailbreak. The you should go to Settings and "Update Your Kindle".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #1091
emissory
emissory began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Right, so I've got the Paperwhite 2nd Gen with a serial number starting with 9017. As with many other people, I have an issue with the Update button being greyed out. The Snapshot files in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030 do let me update, but I have a feeling they're overwritten immediately.

So here's my scenario. I install the Jailbreak update, then I add the MKK bin file (again from the Snapshots link), update, the device restarts, and then I try to install some kindlets like the Collections Manager (which I put into /documents), but it tells me that the application could not be started. This leads me to believe that it seems like the jailbreak and updates worked, but somehow the Kindle is overwriting it.

I'm on update 5.4.3.2, by the way. It should work, but i'm not getting it to.
emissory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #1092
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by emissory View Post
- - - -
I'm on update 5.4.3.2, by the way. It should work, but i'm not getting it to.
Ah, no it shouldn't, not with that message being given -
Amazon messed up the "Active Document" (Kindlets) in all but the most recent firmware version.

Nor will Collections manager, it hasn't been updated for the firmware & hardware combination.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #1093
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@emissory: Yep, as knc1 mentioned, (all) Kindlets are broken on non-JP 4GB PW2 until FW 5.4.5.

There's a Known Issue entry about it in the KUAL post.

As for CM, that unfortunately means you won't be able to use it until someone ports it to FW 5.4.5.

Everything non-Kindlet should work though, provided it has been repackaged (hence the need for the snapshots, currently).
Old 08-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #1094
emissory
emissory began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
so basically what i need to do is, wait for the kindlets i want to be fixed for 5.4.5, then update my kindle to 5.4.5, and then repeat the jailbreak process again and install the kindlet?
emissory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #1095
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by emissory View Post
so basically what i need to do is, wait for the kindlets i want to be fixed for 5.4.5, then update my kindle to 5.4.5, and then repeat the jailbreak process again and install the kindlet?
1: **NO**
The kindlets **do not** need to be "fixed" for 5.4.5
It is the Collections Manager (a Java application) than needs to be ported to each specific firmware version.

2: **NO**
Jailbreak it NOW!
Firmware version 5.4.5 can not (currently) be jailbroken.
(and we aren't overly concerned about it, since it can still be 'downgraded')

Last edited by knc1; 08-04-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch