Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-13-2015, 10:58 PM   #901
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Not a book, a short story: it was called Tropical Disturbance, I am fairly sure, was set in Florida, and the PI hero was, again I think, Oscar Sail (or Sale). But I don't know who wrote it, nor if that PI appeared in any other stories. I am sure I read it in EQMM in the 60s or 70s, ad it has stuck in my mind ever since. I even remember an excellent simile, if not word-perfectly, as a said tropical disturbance encounters a yacht: "the head-sail went to pieces with a sound like cats fighting."
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #902
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Not a book, a short story: it was called Tropical Disturbance, I am fairly sure, was set in Florida, and the PI hero was, again I think, Oscar Sail (or Sale). But I don't know who wrote it, nor if that PI appeared in any other stories. I am sure I read it in EQMM in the 60s or 70s, ad it has stuck in my mind ever since. I even remember an excellent simile, if not word-perfectly, as a said tropical disturbance encounters a yacht: "the head-sail went to pieces with a sound like cats fighting."
Lester Dent, Angelfish is an alternative title.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2015, 11:48 PM   #903
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Many thanks! That's the one.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #904
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I'm trying to recall the name of an espionage novel that I read about forty years ago. I think the author was British. The protagonist was drawn as a Philby-Burgess-Maclean character. Only at the very end of the book is it revealed that he is actually a defector to the west, now facing the dreariness of official entertainment ( a Minister of Fisheries banquet ) in wintertime Ottawa.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #905
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
I'm looking for a short story. It was set in a future where the USSR and the USA fended off actual wars with each other by having an Olympic-style war game every so many years. The catch there is the games are actual war, the participants are killing and being killed. These games take place in a large arena and are broadcast on TV complete with commentators. The story follows a young man chosen to be in the war game for the USA. He's brainwashed into being an efficient killer and ends up winning the game for the USA in a come-from-behind victory.

After the win he's deprogrammed and sent home. He's now a national hero and, quite literally, above the law. He can walk into stores and take whatever he wants. The government will come in afterwards and reimburse the store owners for what he took. After a while of being feted he grows bored. The story ends with him going into the next door neighbor's house and heading upstairs to their daughter's bedroom. As she starts screaming, the story ends with "The war had come home for the Joneses."

I may have some details incorrect. It may have not been explicitly the USSR and USA, but it was obviously meant to be them. And I'm pretty certain I have the family name wrong in the ending quote. I'd like to reread the story sometime and check out the author's other fiction.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #906
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
I'm looking for a short story. It was set in a future where the USSR and the USA fended off actual wars with each other by having an Olympic-style war game every so many years. The catch there is the games are actual war, the participants are killing and being killed. These games take place in a large arena and are broadcast on TV complete with commentators. The story follows a young man chosen to be in the war game for the USA. He's brainwashed into being an efficient killer and ends up winning the game for the USA in a come-from-behind victory.

After the win he's deprogrammed and sent home. He's now a national hero and, quite literally, above the law. He can walk into stores and take whatever he wants. The government will come in afterwards and reimburse the store owners for what he took. After a while of being feted he grows bored. The story ends with him going into the next door neighbor's house and heading upstairs to their daughter's bedroom. As she starts screaming, the story ends with "The war had come home for the Joneses."

I may have some details incorrect. It may have not been explicitly the USSR and USA, but it was obviously meant to be them. And I'm pretty certain I have the family name wrong in the ending quote. I'd like to reread the story sometime and check out the author's other fiction.
The Survivor by Walter F Moudy ISFDB page here.

The story is available to read here.

(I hope that's a legal blog post.)

Last edited by Witty Username; 04-22-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: ETA link to the story
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #907
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
The Survivor by Walter F Moudy

ISFDB page
Thank you, that's it!
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #908
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
It must have been around 50 years ago that I read this book, and ever since I get it confused with others. All I remember is that it involved a space alien who came to Earth and transformed society by, among other things, teaching people mind control. The scene that remains uppermost in my mind occurs, I believe, near the end of the book and describes an office where people are walking around in a state of bliss, one fellow's pack of cigarettes floating behind him and following him as he walks about.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:39 AM   #909
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It must have been around 50 years ago that I read this book, and ever since I get it confused with others. All I remember is that it involved a space alien who came to Earth and transformed society by, among other things, teaching people mind control. The scene that remains uppermost in my mind occurs, I believe, near the end of the book and describes an office where people are walking around in a state of bliss, one fellow's pack of cigarettes floating behind him and following him as he walks about.
Robert A. Heinlein - "Stranger in a Strange Land"
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:57 AM   #910
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
Thank you! That rings a bell. I'll check it out right away, but I'm pretty sure you're right.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #911
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
That is indeed the one!

Quote:
Caxton left and a package of cigarettes followed him, placed itself in one of his pockets.
Karma coming your way!
Old 04-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #912
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's surprising how no SF authors of the 50s and 60s predicted a future in which smoking would be about as socially desirable as leprosy .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #913
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
My first thought was Stranger - I read it for the first time fairly recently - but I didn't remember the cigarette thing at all.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #914
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's surprising how no SF authors of the 50s and 60s predicted a future in which smoking would be about as socially desirable as leprosy .
Star Trek, I thought Roddenberry was well against it.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #915
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Star Trek, I thought Roddenberry was well against it.
Yeah, that's one of the things that makes ST IV such a great movie--back in the 80's, the manager of the aluminum foundry has a button proudly proclaiming "I quit smoking", like 4" across!

This is the one time travel movie that feels like it's actually time travel. I warp back to the 80's whenever I watch it.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths