Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
Chunkook
Chunkook began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
PB Inkpad 3 issues *Opinions Please!*

Hello everyone!

So I'm a student, and a few weeks before Christmas my Paperwhite 2 hit the curb after years of loyalty. Since, I'd prefer not to support megacorporations taking over further, I decided not to buy a new Kindle. And since I'm European, the pick fell onto a Pocketbook. Being Christmas and all, I decided to treat myself to a new 7,8" Inkpad 3, reading how everyone's quite happy with it and all the great written and youtube reviews.

Intro over, thanks for holding up!

So far, I've had it for a little over a month and to be honest - I'm not very happy with it. Here are the issues I have with which maybe you can help:

1. Dictionary support seems to be quite worse than Kindle's. I'm reading a lot in Russian, yet I'm not a native, so an explanatory dictionary with accenting and conjugation is a must for me. The one provided for free on PB´s website isn´t good at all, so I bought the one offered on bookland. Well guess what: No accenting or conjugation either! Kindle's free Rus-Rus dictionary had accenting and it isn't even marketed in Russia, come on! Guys, please, if you have a solution for this issue, hit me up, this is one of the most important points in an e-reader for me, as I read only in foreign languages!

2. Basic PDF functionality is glitchy and clunky. I downloaded some of my material from uni onto the inkpad 3, but from time to time it would freeze when I try to zoom in or flip to the next page, reaching the point when I'd have to restart it. I find this absurd, considering their advertising of this superb new dual-core processor. My old PW2 almost never froze.

3. Some other functions seem to not be acting properly:
-Doesn't always connect to the Wi-Fi when I turn it on;
-Send-to-PB email is clunky and downloading doesn't happen right away (I have to go manually in the settings and tell PB to download from my email, even though the auto-download function is on);
-I can't highlight a passage if it's continuing over to the next page (I have to make 2 separate highlights);
-Sometimes when I pause an audiobook and then resume it (I've made my menu button be a pause-resume button) the sound disappears, yet the audiobook is playing, so I have to pause again, retrack and play again to resume the actual sound.

So yeah, quite a few downsides for me, but I'm being skeptical, as maybe I simply haven't properly set up my PB?
Do software issues occur often?
Should I try a factory reset?
Any advices on the dictionary front and working with PDFs (I'm not talking about complex scientific papers, just some 10-15 page everyday articles for an Arts' student)?
Any general guidelines, tips and advices on how to properly set up my PB so that I can have a good time and actually want to turn it on, use it and read on it?

P.S. For whatever reason I decided that I don't need to take my warranty with me when I left home after the holidays (I'm studying abroad), so sending it to a factory/asking for a replacement isn't something I'm motivated in attempting as it's going to be quite a complex procedure to execute. Of course, if push comes to shove, I will have to do so, but how do I even know whether it's my exact PB that's acting strange and not simply PB being a little inferior to Kindle?

Thank you for taking the time to read this rant guys! Please, shoot away with anything you've got that might help! G'night!

Last edited by Chunkook; 01-27-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Chunkook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:57 AM   #2
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkook
So yeah, quite a few downsides for me, but I'm being skeptical, as maybe I simply haven't properly set up my PB?
Do software issues occur often?
Should I try a factory reset?
The downsides are real.

I currently cannot verify if I have any Russian dictionary with accentuation on my Pocketbooks. I have plenty dictionaries, but I hardly use them because they are clunky on ereader no matter what. For a better dictionary experience I always put the ereader aside and turn to the smartphone, or to a hardcopy. Also for highlights and annotations it is very much advisable better to use a Xodo app or Evernote or good old paper, not an ereader.

PDF files tend to cause hickups and lockdowns when you are impatient. I cannot do without occasional restarts either.

I liked my earlier Inkpad 2 better in every aspect except the screen (Pearl vs Carta, there is really no comparison). Unfortunately my Inkpad 2 somehow demised in a year (it launched, but did not display due to some systemic software issue), so I got it replaced with Inkpad 3. We'll see how the latter lasts.

Last edited by mobama; 01-28-2019 at 03:59 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
snazzy_cauldron
snazzy_cauldron began at the beginning.

Device: none
I recently got an Inkpad 3 but I haven't tested the audio functionality, as there are better options - try listening to TTS with smartphone app Moon Reader plus.

Haven't needed to use email-to-PB, as the Dropbox functionality works seamlessly with full 2-way sync

Reflowing 2 column scientific PDF articles are OK to read, but reading newspaper PDF's is a chore with their varying layout.

You should try installing the KOreader application, it has a myriad of options for PDF, many more so than the native reader.

Once I accepted the limitations of e-ink, I've been enjoying the experience. Response time is slow by it's nature, and the applications don't have the polish of top rated mobile apps, but that's to be expected.
snazzy_cauldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
- Which firmware do you use?

- Inkpad 3 is the best eBook Reader which I use of the moments.
* File manager and PDF file handling is unrivaled against the Kindle.

- With "KINDLE_Reader" you can not configure the screen temperature. With "Inkpoad@3" yes, you can.
- Large size screen + "SmartLight", best contrast how Kindle.
* "7.8" 1 404 x 1 872 px, 300 dpi

- I would not KINDLE buy again. Since the time of PocketBook has issued a lot of repair packages and the momentum version is really at the level.
*I can install the APPs without needing to jailbreak my reader.

- In hardware level, inkad as 1GB of the ram and dual-core CPU. With that, I can open my PDF of 300Mb in 2second, very good general reactivity. I can open (and using) two documents at the same time..

- In addition to Kindle, I can listen to Audio books and TTS, "Kindle" supports audio only in USA.
* SD card support.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 02-04-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote