Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-23-2022, 12:42 PM   #16
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
HANG ON HANG ON HANG ON..... I think I've found an alternate glyph that I can use in place of the toublesome one the customer was using. KP3 likes it. If Only I can convince tham that this one is so much better than the one they used. They can have their striped tables back

... though I'm not gonna get the day spent on this back though. Ah well, c'est la vie!
Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:54 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford-eBooks View Post
Hmmm.. I thought I saw a thread recently (dont ask me which) where someone said that you can't rely on embedded fonts. Might have been an iOS thing? I've not had problems embedding fonts in the past.

Hilariously: All but ONE of the icons are found in a font that I embedded, but one of them had to be taken from a different font and wouldn't render. Would have gotten away with it ALL if it hadn't been for that one pesky glyph!

Oh, the shaded table rows work just peachy on KP3 not a problem AT ALL.
I would make sure that you test on things other than KP3, just to be on the safe side. KP3 is...it's almost a browser-renderer. Don't get me wrong, it can be very reliable in lots of ways, but you will get performance and alignment and other things in KP3 that you don't get in the wild.

And of course, make sure you test in KP2.9x, too, in the DX emulation, for the KF7s still loose out there.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2022, 12:54 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that Mobi will not work with embedded fonts. So if you are relaying on font(s), then you are screwed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:01 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that Mobi will not work with embedded fonts. So if you are relaying on font(s), then you are screwed.
Jon:

And what "mobi" file are you talking about? The KF8 mobi most certainly will, but she can never upload it now, b/c a reflowable MOBI can't intake any longer.

So it's moot. She can upload an FXL MOBI or an ePUB (or zipped HTML, etc.)

Not sure why you're even mentioning MOBI and embedded fonts, really. The older (KF8 aka "dual" thanks to Calibre) MOBI-style files are being created from the uploaded ePUBs, for distro to the older devices (DX, etc.).

Hitch
Old 11-24-2022, 12:56 PM   #20
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
What I'm currently finding is that I have a table with shaded backgrounds on alternate rows.
You could also create zebra striping with pseudo selectors not listed in the Kindle Publishing Guidelines.
For an example, see the screenshot of a KF8 book taken with my old Paperwhite 2. The epub2 source file is here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2021_08_27T18_42_15-0135.png
Views:	94
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	197987  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2022, 05:38 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Jon:

And what "mobi" file are you talking about? The KF8 mobi most certainly will, but she can never upload it now, b/c a reflowable MOBI can't intake any longer.

Not sure why you're even mentioning MOBI and embedded fonts, really. The older (KF8 aka "dual" thanks to Calibre) MOBI-style files are being created from the uploaded ePUBs, for distro to the older devices (DX, etc.).

Hitch
Doesn't Amazon still convert to Mobi for the older Kindles or has that been done away with?
Old 11-24-2022, 06:58 PM   #22
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Jon:

Hitch
Quote:
Doesn't Amazon still convert to Mobi for the older Kindles or has that been done away with?
The answers are in the post you quoted.

amazon still supplies MOBI to devices that need it but does not accept it from authors/publishers.

People have been asking you to actually read posts that you reply to. Are you ever going to start doing so?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 12:56 AM   #23
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Hilariously: All but ONE of the icons are found in a font that I embedded, but one of them had to be taken from a different font and wouldn't render. Would have gotten away with it ALL if it hadn't been for that one pesky glyph!
What, exactly, are the symbols (and tables) you're trying to reproduce?

(Show us images of the PDF pages.)

Quote:
Oh, the shaded table rows work just peachy on KP3 not a problem AT ALL.
A "shaded table" with transparent PNG? That just sounds like it's asking for trouble once users fiddle with their settings.

(I hate websites that do that with my color overrides.)

(Also, images-of-tables... poor idea. Better to do actual HTML tables. See my detailed topics below.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You could also create zebra striping with pseudo selectors [...]
Yes, that is also a possibility.

Quote:
Oh bother and heck. Transparent PNGs still not reliably supported in 2022?
Amazon/Kindles have had oddities with transparency for years.

See my famous:

where I tested out various types of transparency.

And like Hitch said, Kindlegen always converted PNG + changed to white background too.

Calibre to MOBI/KF8 was able to somehow generate them fine... but Kindlegen (and Amazon's official ingestion system), nope.

Quote:
What I'm currently finding is that I have a table with shaded backgrounds on alternate rows. There are PNG icons (nicely made with transparent backgrounds). BUT... on the white background lines, SOME of the PNGs have aquired the background colour of the shaded cells!!!

[...]

Just gonna have to drop the alternate shading and face the customer.
I'm going to channel my inner-JSWolf here...

Zebra Striping (coloring alternate rows) is garbage.

Do not use it, do not promote it, do not continue spreading those abominations.

See the fantastic GIF: "How to make your tables less terrible".

Also see my posts in:

and my recent post yesterday in:

If you want even more examples, see my recent comments in:

So many people create "table-like graphics" + think it "looks nice", but in actuality, they're doing a complete disservice to their underlying data.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-25-2022 at 02:25 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:37 AM   #24
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
@tex2002ans: Yep to all above... though zerbra striped tables are kind of "okay" IMO. Not one of those pineapple on pizza things for me. I used alternating classes for the <tr>s rather than even CONSIDERING doing it the fancy automatic CSS pseudo-selector way, which I imagined would be far to exotic for Kindle pipeline.
Bottom line is that it's all workled out nicely. I found an alternate glyph that renderd properly, it was some out-there wierd one. Life's too short for that, the alternative is just fine so it's all lovely TEXT in the tables and looks just peachy now.
The client WAS urging me to just take a short cut and sample the tables as images but I stood my ground on that as there are external hyperlinks in there which would... well, I'll leave you to imagine the uproar from the consumers and maybe even Amazon QA.

Thanks for the links: I'll look at those over a BIG coffee when I get a quiet moment... "quiet" ha! A client just droped 100 titles on me. Mustn't grumble though, they're for a really cool kids TV series.

Oh, and thanks to all the other contributors in this thread. I only really come onto here when I'm stuck with something, you guys always come up with the goods.

Eyebrows still firmly raised on discovering that the image conversion inherits the background colour rather than just going to white.
Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:43 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The answers are in the post you quoted.

amazon still supplies MOBI to devices that need it but does not accept it from authors/publishers.

People have been asking you to actually read posts that you reply to. Are you ever going to start doing so?
The problem is that my post was correct and the reply was wrong.

I never said anything about uploading Mobi. I know Amazon does not accept that as a format. But given that Amazon still converts to Mobi for older Kindles, doing things like embedding fonts to get a specific character won't work even though it works for KF8/KFX.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:45 AM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
The problem is that my post was correct and the reply was wrong.

I never said anything about uploading Mobi. I know Amazon does not accept that as a format. But given that Amazon still converts to Mobi for older Kindles, doing things like embedding fonts to get a specific character won't work even though it works for KF8/KFX.
Jon:

Are you actually saying that MY reply was wrong? And where is it, exactly, that you are certain that Amazon is still converting files to MOBI, as opposed to already having old, KF8-MOBI files for extant files?

Hitch
Old 11-25-2022, 09:42 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Jon:

Are you actually saying that MY reply was wrong? And where is it, exactly, that you are certain that Amazon is still converting files to MOBI, as opposed to already having old, KF8-MOBI files for extant files?

Hitch
Wrong in that you misread what I wrote. Not wrong otherwise.

I was talking about Mobi that you download if you have an old Kindle. Not about uploading Mobi.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:31 AM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Wrong in that you misread what I wrote. Not wrong otherwise.

I was talking about Mobi that you download if you have an old Kindle. Not about uploading Mobi.
Yabbut, Jon, you have no way of knowing the when there.

You don't know if that was made at the original upload, or newly.

IME, for whatever this is worth--the format that is cranked out, during the PW (the Publishing workflow) by Amazon/KDP, when the file is originally uploaded, is the lifetime format for that book, unless Amazon takes specific steps. I believe that we (MR-ers) all kind of discussed this, some time back when KFX was first introduced.

We discussed whether the books sitting on the KDP shelves, so to speak, would upgrade to KFX and ET (Enhanced Typesetting) or not. Now...I've seen examples of both. Those that did (and I know that MOBIs were uploaded, "back in the day") and those that didn't. I can't know if the customer did something that promulgated this.

I don't think we can genuinely say. Hell, Jon, when did you last download a bona fide MOBI from Amazon? Do you mean AZW?

Hitch
Old 11-25-2022, 02:08 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yabbut, Jon, you have no way of knowing the when there.

You don't know if that was made at the original upload, or newly.

IME, for whatever this is worth--the format that is cranked out, during the PW (the Publishing workflow) by Amazon/KDP, when the file is originally uploaded, is the lifetime format for that book, unless Amazon takes specific steps. I believe that we (MR-ers) all kind of discussed this, some time back when KFX was first introduced.

We discussed whether the books sitting on the KDP shelves, so to speak, would upgrade to KFX and ET (Enhanced Typesetting) or not. Now...I've seen examples of both. Those that did (and I know that MOBIs were uploaded, "back in the day") and those that didn't. I can't know if the customer did something that promulgated this.

I don't think we can genuinely say. Hell, Jon, when did you last download a bona fide MOBI from Amazon? Do you mean AZW?

Hitch
I downloaded a Mobi (AZW) on October 18, 2022.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:35 PM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I downloaded a Mobi (AZW) on October 18, 2022.
Also Kindle DXG, DX, KK2 and earlier and KK3 on earlier FW all get KF7 downloads even if upload was epub.
Some old titles certainly are KF7 even when downloaded to PW3 or Oasis gen2, in the last year.

I always use Download to PC for USB transfer.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote