Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
im not seeing that quick of a jump from one frame per second to 30.
29.97 in the US.
Which makes it so much more easily attainable.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #17
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
29.97 in the US.
Which makes it so much more easily attainable.
oh! well that might be possible. I stand corrected. and even lower you could go 24 fps for film =)
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD

For what it's worth, I think pdurrant's guess of five years is probably pretty accurate.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #19
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

For what it's worth, I think pdurrant's guess of five years is probably pretty accurate.
ill take bets on that. Ill still be here in 5 years if the forum is still up so lets say. 20 dollars per 1 year short you are pdurrant. and ill pay you 20 dollars for every year over I am.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bayjunkie View Post
well that would be a bold quess. with slow refresh rate currently with e-ink. im not seeing that quick of a jump from one frame per second to 30.
It may not be eInk, but another bistable reflective technology. We should see Mirasol displays next year, which will be colour with video rate refresh, but I don't know how good their contract will be compared to eInk. And there are other very low power technologies coming along, e.g. electro-wetting.

We can only wait and see. I'll be very surprised if a colour, video-refresh rate, very-low-power display isn't available for at least one ebook reader device for Christmas 2015, and it might well be in a Kindle.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #21
3bayjunkie
SPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It may not be eInk, but another bistable reflective technology. We should see Mirasol displays next year, which will be colour with video rate refresh, but I don't know how good their contract will be compared to eInk. And there are other very low power technologies coming along, e.g. electro-wetting.

We can only wait and see. I'll be very surprised if a colour, video-refresh rate, very-low-power display isn't available for at least one ebook reader device for Christmas 2015, and it might well be in a Kindle.
well if thats the case then I will owe you $750. so we will see =) [edit] thats $300 i dunno where i got $750 from...[/edit]

Last edited by 3bayjunkie; 12-30-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ill take bets on that. Ill still be here in 5 years if the forum is still up so lets say. 20 dollars per 1 year short you are pdurrant. and ill pay you 20 dollars for every year over I am.
Hmm.... So I say 5 years and you say 20 years. We'd need to define terms a bit. How about

1) Mobileread must still be running, and we must both still be active members.
2) The start date is 1st January 2011
3) The end date is the date a commercial product is shipped and received by a real customer. The bet to be settled within 30 days of the end date.
4) The product must contain a colour (at least thousands of colours) very low power (about the same as current eInk displays) display capable of 25fps (UK video) refresh rate. The power requirement is for colour ebook display. Display of video may use more power.
5) In case of dispute as to whether a shipped product meets these conditions, the dispute to be decided by a Mobileread poll lasting 14 days.

If such a product appears with an end date before 1st January 2031, you pay me $20 for every year or part year. e.g. if the first such product arrived in customer hands on 15 November 2025, you'd pay me (2031-2025)*$20 = $120

If such a product appears with an end date after 31st December 2015, I'll pay you $20 for very year or part of year. e.g. if the first such product ships on 15 November 2025, I'd pay you (2025-2015)*$20 = $200.

Hmm.. if it ships in 2023 we break even. If it ships earlier, I make money. If it ships later, you make money.

I'd be very happy with such a bet!

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-30-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
well if thats the case then I will owe you $750. so we will see =)
I calculate it as $320 or possibly $300, depending on when we start the bet.

I have to say I think it a very poor bet from your point of view. But I suppose if I didn't think that, I wouldn't be willing to accept!

Are we on?
Old 12-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #24
3bayjunkie
SPC

Quote:
I calculate it as $320 or possibly $300, depending on when we start the bet.

I have to say I think it a very poor bet from your point of view. But I suppose if I didn't think that, I wouldn't be willing to accept!

Are we on?
yes that sounds fair! =) oh btw you put $2 on your post instead of $20

Last edited by 3bayjunkie; 12-30-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
yes that sounds fair! =) oh btw you put $2 on your post instead of $20
Typo fixed. OK, you're on!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #26
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
I am not sure why some of you are comparing the color e-ink to an ipad or any other lcd screen. it is in color but it is not back-lit and it is not lcd. so i think you are missing the point...

two words: magazines, comic books.
Yeah, but to me, if you are going to read magazines or comic books, then why do you need e-ink?

Other than perhaps Scientific American, is there a magazine that takes someone more than an hour to read? No, magazines are generally designed for quick reading

Same with comics. I guess if it's a compilation of several comics it might take more than five minutes to read. But for the most part you are looking at pictures.

When you factor in that you need a large gizmo to read those well, you're pretty much in ipad territory price-wise. B&W e-readers with that form factor are brushing that.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #27
3bayjunkie
SPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Yeah, but to me, if you are going to read magazines or comic books, then why do you need e-ink?

Other than perhaps Scientific American, is there a magazine that takes someone more than an hour to read? No, magazines are generally designed for quick reading

Same with comics. I guess if it's a compilation of several comics it might take more than five minutes to read. But for the most part you are looking at pictures.

When you factor in that you need a large gizmo to read those well, you're pretty much in ipad territory price-wise. B&W e-readers with that form factor are brushing that.
i hate reading on LCD screens. I sometimes use my kindle to go on the internet as it is now that i have it because its less strenuous on the eyes. But that as it may, to each their own. =) [edit]also if i am going to do all my reading on one device i might spend more than 5 minutes using it at a time. And also wouldn't want to carry around two devices for that matter.[/edit]
Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #28
3bayjunkie
SPC

e-ink/LCD hybrid =P

http://www.fastcompany.com/1684017/q...-kindle-amazon
Old 12-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Hmm.... So I say 5 years and you say 20 years. We'd need to define terms a bit. How about

1) Mobileread must still be running, and we must both still be active members.
2) The start date is 1st January 2011
3) The end date is the date a commercial product is shipped and received by a real customer. The bet to be settled within 30 days of the end date.
4) The product must contain a colour (at least thousands of colours) very low power (about the same as current eInk displays) display capable of 25fps (UK video) refresh rate. The power requirement is for colour ebook display. Display of video may use more power.
5) In case of dispute as to whether a shipped product meets these conditions, the dispute to be decided by a Mobileread poll lasting 14 days.

If such a product appears with an end date before 1st January 2031, you pay me $20 for every year or part year. e.g. if the first such product arrived in customer hands on 15 November 2025, you'd pay me (2031-2025)*$20 = $120

If such a product appears with an end date after 31st December 2015, I'll pay you $20 for very year or part of year. e.g. if the first such product ships on 15 November 2025, I'd pay you (2025-2015)*$20 = $200.

Hmm.. if it ships in 2023 we break even. If it ships earlier, I make money. If it ships later, you make money.

I'd be very happy with such a bet!

It's a little early to say whether the Kyobo ereader with Mirasol display meets the terms of this bet, but I'm certainly feeling happy with my end of it.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:02 AM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
It's a little early to say whether the Kyobo ereader with Mirasol display meets the terms of this bet, but I'm certainly feeling happy with my end of it.
I'm no longer feeling so happy about this bet. Sigh.

OTOH, 3bayjunkie doesn't seem to be active on MobileRead anymore.