Notices

Old 09-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
tomx2
Connoisseur
tomx2 began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note
Embed Metadata PDF

Hello,
Has anyone had any issues with moon+ reader not seeing embedded metadata (pdf)? I'll carefully add metadata to pdf, then use the "embed metadata" button, then manually copy file to my device (samsung note 4). I then see that the title of the book is incorrect (reflects file name), my tags are non-existent and often the author is labeled "(PDF)". What am i not understanding?

Not sure if this is a Moon+ issue or a Calibre issue. Some books (PDF) do display correct metadata (moon+), while others do not (maybe 50%).

Thanks Tom

Last edited by tomx2; 09-12-2019 at 06:15 PM.
tomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
IIRC there's a mechanism to lock PDFs to prevent any changes.

Try checking it with a desktop PDF reader, such as Acrobat or PDF Xchange. For all but the basic metadata items the embed metadata tool updates the PDF XMP metadata, Does Moon reader support reading of the XMP metadata?

And please don't post queries in 5 year old threads unless you are sure that the situation hasn't changed since.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
tomx2
Connoisseur

Understood, i'll create a new thread. I assume i'll need to re-post my question.

- T

Update: New thread created entitled "Embedding Metadata in PDF's" (with updated info).

Last edited by tomx2; 09-12-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would have thought it obvious that I moved your original post into a new thread - this one. There was no need for a new thread - I've deleted it.

Unless you're posting a #metoo message, i.e. exactly the same issue with the same version etc, we prefer problems be reported in new threads rather than posting them into existing threads, especially ancient threads. An exception is plugin specific issues, we prefer they be reported in the plugin's thread.

BR
Old 09-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
tomx2
Connoisseur

Ok. Sorry. (i create a shortcut to my posts and they take me directly here, i didn't see the tree).

The test file (PDF) is not locked (public domain, Gutenberg). And it appears that Moon+ can handle the metadata as with many of the files the metadata is correct and read by moon+.

- T

Last edited by tomx2; 09-29-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Advert
Old 09-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
PG?
Don't they offer this in EPUB? It handles metadata with ease
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

If it's out of copyright, post a link to the original PDF file, or upload as an attachment. If you don't want to do that then you can attach it to a post at Bugs : calibre and mark the post private.

BR
Old 09-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #8
tomx2
Connoisseur

Not sure, exactly what you mean. Do you want me to upload the original file (i can go back and get it). Or can i upload the file after calibre has embedded metadata (or not as it seems). Or do you need both?

The files in question are mainly public domain vintage books (fly fishing). I do have some (with issues) that are retail, but won't post them here, of course. No epub version for the problem files (from various sources, google scans, archive.net, gutenberg, etc.), they are all public domain and for the most part they are of historical interest only.

-t

Last edited by tomx2; 09-12-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Post the link to the Gutenberg web page e.g. https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/60280

BR
Old 09-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #10
tomx2
Connoisseur

https://archive.org/details/adiction...ipgoog/page/n5
Old 09-12-2019, 09:40 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can test if calibre is correctly embedding the metadata by simply readding the PDF file to calibre, if the metadata shows up then it is correct. At which point you need to ask the Moon+ developer why it is unable to extract the metadata.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:38 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomx2 View Post
works for me viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-09-13 151717.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	517.9 KB
ID:	173445

But metadata in PDF's is limited, you won't find any 3rd party pdf readers that can 'decipher' calibre custom columns.

I think you need to ask why in a Moon Reader+ support forum, you might find something here ==>> MR Android Devices -

@theducks - yes there is an EPUB - it is absolute rubbish, and utterly useless as a reference text for trout fishing flies as used in the 19th century.

BR
Old 09-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #13
tomx2
Connoisseur

I am unable to (so far) find where to view this info. From the image above, it looks as if i should go to "preferences" "all books"? and then "document metadata"? still searching...

-t
Old 09-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomx2 View Post
I am unable to (so far) find where to view this info. From the image above, it looks as if i should go to "preferences" "all books"? and then "document metadata"? still searching...

-t
The topmost windows in my screen shot are not from calibre, they're from PDF Xchange - they demonstrate that the calibre Embed tool does inject the calibre metadata into PDF's, The question is: can your android pdf reader display the metadata?

I tested it on my phone, and my no-frills minimalist bespoke pdf reader only shows the title and author, which is adequate for my purposes.

BR
Old 09-29-2019, 01:52 PM   #15
tomx2
Connoisseur

I believe i have solved my issue. To wrap this thread up, the problem was, i think, not in calibre's embedding of metadata, but in calibre's renaming of the file. All this is discussed in the following thread (if interested).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...28#post3885628

Thanks, Tom

Last edited by tomx2; 09-29-2019 at 02:23 PM.