Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #46
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I second The Wonder by Emma Donoghue
I will third it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #47
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm also going to nominated Why Homer Matters by Adam Nicolson.

Titled The Mighty Dead: Why Homer Matters in Canada, Australia and the UK.

US $9.99, CA $11.99, AU $11.99, UK £4.99

320 pp.
Seconded with my last ticket.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #48
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I'm also going to nominated Why Homer Matters by Adam Nicolson. [...]
Was this inspired by our current book (The Shepherd's Life)? I remember he mentioned liking Odyssey because it has sheep in it.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Was this inspired by our current book (The Shepherd's Life)? I remember he mentioned liking Odyssey because it has sheep in it.
Totally clueless here, as I was waiting until this upcoming weekend to start Shepherd's Life. It's a book that's been on my TBR for a while and that was my sole inspiration. Ah, synchronicity!

Surely that deserves a third. Bueller?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #50
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I second This House Is Haunted.

Thanks, Bookworm Girl; this sounds like fun and I'm going to read it regardless of whether it advances. I recently read Ruth Ware's contemporary take with a similar setup: The Turn of the Key.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2019, 12:43 AM   #51
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I second This House Is Haunted.

Thanks, Bookworm Girl; this sounds like fun and I'm going to read it regardless of whether it advances. I recently read Ruth Ware's contemporary take with a similar setup: The Turn of the Key.
It does sound similar. I was also thinking it is reminiscent of The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:24 AM   #52
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Totally clueless here, as I was waiting until this upcoming weekend to start Shepherd's Life. It's a book that's been on my TBR for a while and that was my sole inspiration. Ah, synchronicity!
The synchronicity goes deeper. Your book blurb includes
Quote:
Adam Nicolson writes "a third space" in the way we relate to the past: not as memory, which lasts no more than three generations,
In The Shepherd's Life the author observes: "They say you have to be here for three generations before you are a ‘local’..." and I think the two ideas are linked.

Also in The Shepherd's Life, there is a lot of talk about traditions, and about the lack of written record. Which had led me to think about how we relate to the past - and the memory of our oldest generation. You get to see this in action in some of what James Rebanks has written.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:25 AM   #53
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Oh yes please, somebody third this one. It sounds terrific and I'm all out of votes!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #54
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The synchronicity goes deeper. Your book blurb includes

In The Shepherd's Life the author observes: "They say you have to be here for three generations before you are a ‘local’..." and I think the two ideas are linked.

Also in The Shepherd's Life, there is a lot of talk about traditions, and about the lack of written record. Which had led me to think about how we relate to the past - and the memory of our oldest generation. You get to see this in action in some of what James Rebanks has written.
Fantastic link between two perhaps not so disparate books. While it looks like no joy* for Why Homer Mattersas far as the nomination goes (and any book is a long shot, of course), you've motivated me to bump it way up my TBR.

*Although there are still some nominations out there!
Old 09-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #55
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I third Why Homer Matters.

(Sorry to be slow! I wasn’t being coy We’ve got a class 2 hurricane hitting Halifax tomorrow very near my home so I’ve been busy the last 2 days getting ready. I will likely miss the voting due to power outages)

Last edited by Victoria; 09-06-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #56
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I third Why Homer Matters.

(Sorry to be slow! I wasn’t being coy We’ve got a class 2 hurricane hitting Halifax tomorrow very near my home so I’ve been busy the last 2 days getting ready. I will likely miss the voting due to power outages)
Oh, no. I know we're supposed to be grazed tonight, but I don't know what the longer range is.

If you'd like, PM me with your choices and if you don't show up by the time the poll ends, I can add them to the total - which goes for anyone who anticipates being out of range during nominations or polling.

Stay safe and dry and electrified, Victoria!
Old 09-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #57
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
A great deal depends on their budget! I really see the difference between my two libraries. One is the BC Provincial library -- it's ebooks and audio books for the entire province. (Each library contributes, I'm told, but they get a better deal by combining them for the entire province.)

Compare that to one I have access to in the Seattle area which serves more actual users (All those Kindles in Seattle!), but which has both a bigger selection, and generally shorter wait times.......

If you have a way to have access to other libraries, it can be worth the effort. I wasn't too worried about it while I was working, but now that I'm fully retired I very much need to pay attention. So I've been leveraging both libraries to keep the book club costs down.

ETA: You can check if a book is available at Overdrive at all by going directly to the Overdrive site and searching there, and you can check if it's available in Canada by checking if you can Recommend it while logged in to your library.
I didn’t know about the Overdrive site. Great tip CRussell thank you! That will be a great help with nominations. I’ll look around to see if I’m eligible to join other libraries as well. As you say, they’re definitely a boon to retirees.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:10 PM   #58
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Oh, no. I know we're supposed to be grazed tonight, but I don't know what the longer range is.

If you'd like, PM me with your choices and if you don't show up by the time the poll ends, I can add them to the total - which goes for anyone who anticipates being out of range during nominations or polling.

Stay safe and dry and electrified, Victoria!
Thank you!
Old 09-06-2019, 10:26 PM   #59
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Good luck Victoria. (And thanks for thirding Why Homer Matters!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:17 AM   #60
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I third This House is Haunted. It looks lonely.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote