Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2023, 04:51 PM   #16
Cosmos
Cosmos began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschucha View Post
The contrast on the Sage is better. No doubt about it. The Sage is 300 DPI and the Elipsa 2E is only 227 DPI. How much is because of the DPI difference and how much is due to other screen differences I don't know. But you really can see the difference side by side.

In a perfect world the Elipsa would be 300 DPI like a Kindle Scribe but for me anyway it is good enough as a reader.
Thank you. Would it be the same in case of a Scribe? Have you compared it to the Sage at all? Given that the scribe is 300 PPI. Thanks again
Cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:33 PM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I don't see a contrast difference between Sage and Elipsa (lights off).
The Sage is sharper, obviously, being 300 dpi vs 227 dpi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:45 PM   #18
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Before I got the Elipsa I did try the Scribe. To my eyes the screen on it was every bit as sharp as the Sage, maybe even a big sharper. I think because of that I remember the Scribe as having just a tiny bit better contrast.

I don't mean to discourage you at all from the Elipsa 2E. It's fine. It's lighter and easier to hold than the Scribe and somehow the battery seems to work longer than my Sage.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:56 PM   #19
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The Elipsa's battery has twice the capacity of the Sage's battery, so that's not surprising.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:31 PM   #20
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I've already got an Elipsa and I would change it for the orange light for sure. Once you get used to the golden hue, it's really difficult to return to cold blue. But I can't justify anoter 500$ reader for that fact alone.
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 12:53 AM   #21
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
Once you get used to the golden hue, it's really difficult to return to cold blue.
I was only very slightly bothered by the cold blue of the elipsa. When I got the 2e I was thinking "hmm, back to gold; nice but nothing to get excited about." I would take any Kobo with the cold blue lighting over any Kindle with the adjustable gold lighting.

Last edited by hobnail; 05-29-2023 at 12:57 AM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 12:27 PM   #22
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
I just sold my Scribe on eBay and am keeping the Elipsa 2e. I spent some more time comparing the screens and readability. The Scribe is OK except for Dark Mode, and then it is quite inferior to the Elipsa. I find myself allergic to the Kindle software -- it's bizarre, though I guess after you get used to it you don't realize what a pain it really is. The Kobo software is much more sensible, and it doesn't force you to share everything you write with Amazon.

Comparing the Sage to the Elipsa, I don't see much difference in readability. I suppose the type on the Sage is a bit clearer, given its higher resolution, but I find that's not really noticeable.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:21 PM   #23
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Has anyone found a way of getting handwritten epub /kepub annotations off the Kobo Elipsa? I know Kobo doesn't officially support this, but I was wondering if someone had found a different way. I'd quite like an ereader that lets me mark up epubs, but the ability to get them onto a computer is also quite important to me. There are quite a few options out there for PDFs, but not really for epubs.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:56 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmann View Post
Has anyone found a way of getting handwritten epub /kepub annotations off the Kobo Elipsa?
Screenshot will work, but they are useless to me. I do big highlight selections and short touch keypad note. You can use a BT Keyboard on Elipsa or Sage for longer notes.

Actually I only use the pen on Elipsa to "scribble" on PDFs, either notes on manuals or markup about format/style on PDFs for POD. The content of PDFs for POD will be previously proofed on epub on Sage.

I bought a Sage because I liked the note taking and conversion to text / shapes / formula and export to docx or txt files. But the annotation on PDFs or epubs with the pen has no text conversion, so limited value. The PDFs have the annotation when copied back.

You can do screen shots of the pen annotations of epub on Sage/Elipsa. They are only images anyway.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:28 AM   #25
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have no issues with book covers showing on the Kindle Scribe. Sometimes it takes a while to pop up but they do
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:08 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I'd quite like an ereader that lets me mark up epubs, but the ability to get them onto a computer is also quite important to me.
Then use real text and Kobo Utilities in Calibre to copy the annotation plus highlight into a text editor to have open beside wordprocessor source. Do not use the pen. Been doing this 100s of proof reads for over 7 years.
I used Notepad++ on Windows and WINE for a while till I changed to KATE.

I do use the pen in the Advanced Notebook to write (and convert on the Sage) pages of stuff relating to the books, new content or other random notes. Exported as plain text or MS Word format.

The May 2023 Elipsa 2 Firmware 4.36.21095 does work on the original Elipsa to add subfolders for the notebooks. I'll wait for official FW for Sage.
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
Old 06-05-2023, 12:59 PM   #27
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Then use real text and Kobo Utilities in Calibre to copy the annotation plus highlight into a text editor to have open beside wordprocessor source. Do not use the pen. Been doing this 100s of proof reads for over 7 years.
Thanks Quoth. I can't type particularly well on a virtual keyboard, so real text probably won't work. But screenshots of handwritten annotations may do the trick. Or, depending on how easy switching is, I could keep handwritten notes in a notebook on the device rather than on the epub, which would make export possible. Am I right in thinking that the advanced notebook is based on MyScript's technology?

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I used Notepad++ on Windows and WINE for a while till I changed to KATE.
Hah! I use Notepad++ on Windows. On Linux, it's either Kate or Geany, depending on which machine I'm on.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:04 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Or, depending on how easy switching is, I could keep handwritten notes in a notebook on the device rather than on the epub, which would make export possible. Am I right in thinking that the advanced notebook is based on MyScript's technology?
Yes, MyScript's Nebo. It's more than the free app on iOS, but less than the paid iOS version. Perhaps the iPad can read Kobo Nebo files but not vice versa, I'm not sure. I don't have an iPad myself and no digitiser on my Android, so I don't personally have tablet Nebo. It makes more sense than the reMarkable or the Scribe, Kobo "buying in" highly regarded notes/conversion SW. I gave away my reMarkable and narrowly avoided buying a Scribe.

If you had opened a an Advanced Notebook as one of last 3 things and swipe down from the top in an ebook you are reading, then you can jump into the notebook. Then backup by "Export" (usually 1st time I press cancel and do it again or else it spins), and "swipe down" without exiting the Advanced Notebook and you can tap on the book you just jumped from. Be a good idea to text highlight a big chunk and type in a note number and then number your Advanced Notebook notes and use <book title-author>-notes as Notebook name.

Sadly there is a bug where newly added ebooks populate that list of three even though you never opened them.

I use plain text export unless I really want shapes, equations, check boxes, unconverted handwriting and sketches as well as converted text.

But if you do a lot of notes a BT Keyboard does work in epub/kepub annotation. It only allows entry of notebook names and page up/down in notebooks, which seems weird.

It feels like three products: 1. Epub/kepub reader, 2. PDF viewer (both catalogued in My Books and work with search) and 3. Completely separate Notebook system. The Basic Notebook seems pointless. You can't change your mind on type, so best to only use Advanced. You can still have handwriting you don't convert and free-form sketches anyway.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-05-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:58 PM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Anyway, no need to copy nebo files, the export of docx or txt works well.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:01 PM   #30
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I was only very slightly bothered by the cold blue of the elipsa. When I got the 2e I was thinking "hmm, back to gold; nice but nothing to get excited about." I would take any Kobo with the cold blue lighting over any Kindle with the adjustable gold lighting.
I read only at night, in night mode so for me it's quite important. But I'll wait for a 12" reader before upgrading my current Elipsa; I want to read my TTRPG PDFs on the device, it's way less heavy to keep in hands while reading in bed than physical TTRPGs books.
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote