Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
pinkpixie26
pinkpixie26 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
reformat cybook gen3 to fat32 from fat16 on a mac

So, I've had various problems with my Cybook Gen3 since I got it (freezing, lost bookmarks, general system corruption), and finally got ahold of bookeen, who had me reformat the device using disk utility on my mac. After reformatting, I noticed that instead of being formatted as FAT32, it's now formatted as FAT16. Is this going to be a major problem? If so, how do I reformat the device to a FAT32, when disk utility seems to want to format it as FAT16?

I have noticed that the cybook still freezes, and occasionally will delete all the bookmarks I've placed after I reset the device. Thus, bookeen's suggestion that I reformat the device doesn't seem to have helped with the main issues I've been having. Could this be related to the FAT16 format? It was FAT32 before, so I'm not sure, since the problems seem to be pretty much the same.

Thanks in advance for any help-- I don't really know much about computer systems and formats, so please respond in the simplest terms possible!
pinkpixie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
fizzywiz
fizzywiz began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3 ver1.2 Build 834
I don't know if anyone has helped you but:

The best format for maximum compatibility is FAT 32, easily read by Macs and the default for Windows-based PCs. To format your external hard drive to FAT 32 from your Mac:

1. Plug in your external drive. Keep in mind that by formatting your drive you will lose all your information.
2. Open Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities), select your external drive, and click the "Erase" tab.
3. Under "Volume Format" choose MS-DOS (FAT), which is FAT 32, and click Erase.
4. Press Erase again to confirm and let it do its thing.

Again, please be sure that you do not need any of the data on your external drive (or that it is securely backed up), since the reformatting process will completely erase the drive.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10345508-263.html

I don't have OS X but this sounds right. I would note that at this point only the "New" models of the Opus, and old models of the Cybook gen 3 (pre 1.2~) don't have a bug that crashes it on page turn. The next firmware update for the Gen 3/Opus should fix this but they have been working on "fixing" the bugs for the last 7 months since they released it at a Paris showing.
I am not sure about the bookmark problem but I would not send it in and expect it to never crash again (I sent mine in [for a hefty 60$ shipping fee] and they sent me another back that still had fresh ink on the reset button -.- and still crashed on me). Good luck and hope that this helps.
fizzywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #3
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
FAT16 or FAT32 doesn't matter on disk that are less than 2 or 4 GB.

Anyway the utility will choose one that will work on the disk.

So FAT16 or FAT32 will not change things, it will work correctly with both
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:37 AM   #4
pinkpixie26
pinkpixie26 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Thanks

Thanks both of you. I'm glad to hear that because of the size of the drive, Fat 16 formatting won't change its functionality, since my computer seems determined to format it as such!
pinkpixie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'd like to know if you can format the Cybook, and then simply load back the previously saved content? Will that work or do you need to do something else to re-install the operating system?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'd like to know if you can format the Cybook, and then simply load back the previously saved content? Will that work or do you need to do something else to re-install the operating system?
I did that. Copied all books onto my hard disk, then reformatted the SD card from FAT to FAT32, then copied the books back. Updated firmware and it works fine.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
I did that. Copied all books onto my hard disk, then reformatted the SD card from FAT to FAT32, then copied the books back. Updated firmware and it works fine.
Thanks. Do you mean you reformatted an external SD card, not the internal memory?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:47 AM   #8
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Yes, I didn't touch the internal memory, and I didn't connect the Cybook to a computer at all, just the card through a card reader. I only keep dictionaries on the internal memory anyway.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:07 AM   #9
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

What I want to know is if I can reformat the Cybook itself and just copy back the content.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Be carefull, if you have a 200Mhz model, you NEED to save the system folder, whatever you do. If the folder is deleted your device will get the "checkboard of death" but reinstalling a firmware is a way to go against this error.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Be carefull, if you have a 200Mhz model, you NEED to save the system folder, whatever you do. If the folder is deleted your device will get the "checkboard of death" but reinstalling a firmware is a way to go against this error.
Thank you Godzil. But is it enough if I just back up the system folder and then copy it back to the Cybook? Or do I need to do a complete re-install somehow?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
Godzil

if you reformat, no, only your files and the system folder.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
if you reformat, no, only your files and the system folder.
OK, thanks. Maybe I'll try that then, who knows, it might help