Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Marvin 3 CBZ CBR metadata problems

I have a large collection of comics that I want to import via calibre content server. However, when I try and import the comics, the metadata is messed up. For example, I have a file "Title.cbz" and author set in calibre.

When I try and import via calibre content server, I find the name messed up as "Title - Author_xx" and the author listed as unknown

I know that Marvin looks for metadata from within the epub files, however, I can't seem to find a way for Marvin to get the metadata correct for cbz/cbr files. When I import these files into my eraeder, the metadata is read correctly. Is there a way to import these files correctly into Marvin?

Thanks for any pointers.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
This thread might help: here

In short: you can set a template to save the cbz with a filename that has all the information. However, Calibre does not handle any metadata other than "author" for the cbz format. Kovid said that ALL metadata fields are listed as "author".

You can edit the cbz metadata within Marvin and it will retain and display all of it correctly.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2017, 01:53 AM   #3
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Thanks for your reply. I was afraid that this would be the situation. It is pretty useless to import 400+ cbz/cbr into Marvin only to be forced to manually edit each file's metadata to show the files properly within Marvin.

I realize that this is an inherent weakness of the cbz/cbr format since neither support metadata given that they are simply renamed zip and rar folders with numbered images. However, I would have thought that Marvin would be able to parse the filename and populate its metadata. This could be based on a pre-set template for filenaming "Title - Author - Series" or something similar. Then Marvin reads the filename and populates the metadata.

Again, thanks for the response.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:21 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
There is no metadata file stored within cbz format books (that I'm aware of anyway). So the only thing Marvin has to go off is the filename. I haven't found a way for Marvin to parse filenames but it does use the filename as the "title". Perhaps you can use a "save-to-disk" template in Calibre to make the filename into something more useful to you??

I use the following template:
{author_sort} - {series} {series_index:0>2s}

Which gives something along the lines of:
Kirkman, Robert - The Walking Dead 02

That at least allows me to sort the files in order.

If you do find something that works, I'd be interested to hear it - and it might help others here as well.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote