Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
New EBOOK Creation Process

So... up till umm 48 hours ago, this is how I made clean EBooks:

* Write in Word for Mac. When complete save as HTML
* Load in To Calibre and fill out Metadata, then convert to EPUB.
* Export from Calibre and open in Sigil.
* Let Sigil run amok with TinyHTML and stuff.
* * Use Find/Replace to remove what is left of Word Dropings
* * Rename file as Calibre makes filenames with spaces
* * Remove cover completely. Add full Res cover back via the "Add Cover" tool
* * Run EPUB Flight Check - Fix anything it finds
* * * Repeat until clean
* * Run EPUB Validator - Fix anything it finds
* * * Repeat until clean
* Remove all prior versions from Calibre and import the new EPUB
* Convert To MOBI
* Upload MOBI To Amazon, upload EPUB to Kobo,B&N, and Smashwords

That process got me good results, but.....

* Write in Word
* Import the .DOC into Scrivener
* * Set Section Breaks (aka Chapters)
* * Compile to EPUB, and MOBI
* Check EPUB against EPUB Validator - Always perfect so far!
* Upload MOBI To Amazon, upload EPUB to Kobo,B&N, and Smashwords

Dang. WAAAAAAAAY better. I suspect next royalty check that comes in and I am buying Scrivener. The only thing is I am fixing the cover still in Sigil, I need to figure out what setting to tweak in Scrivener to get the cover right, cause it does not get the HTML quite right on it. Everything else about the files is good. I can even tell it to compile a PDF for CreateSpace, but that will wait for my next book to test with. It uses Amazon's official KindleGen for MOBI creation, so that should help with compatibility.

Since I do not write in it, I never thought of just using it for its compile tools.

VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
So you can compile the file to epub in Scrivener?
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Thanks for sharing that VydorScope, I might give it a go at some point. I am not too upset with LibreOffice and the writer2xhtml plugin - but there are still some "droppings" that I have to clean up in Sigil (and the cover page always has to be done - I don't even try to get that done outside Sigil).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Ooh, very intriguing. Especially since I DO write in Scrivener.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Ooh, very intriguing. Especially since I DO write in Scrivener.
Me too. Thanks for this VydorScope.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
So you can compile the file to epub in Scrivener?
EPUB, MOBI, PDF, and several other formats. To do MOBI you need to download KindleGen which is free from Amazon, but Scrivener has the links and directions right in the compile screen for you. Really easy.

Nice to have one source file for all formats instead of chaining them up in a conversion process.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I've just ordered Scrivener - I figure it'll be easier than trying to get my husband to find the time to code my stories for me. I hope it'll work as well for me as it does for you. I'm not sure about using it as a writing environment - I mostly don't have problems writing in Word (but then, I mostly write short stories). But for the conversion process, I'm looking forward to using it.

I also ordered their how to use Scrivener book, but the download link they sent me didn't work - grump. I've written them a note to that effect, and hope they'll send me a link that does work.

I'm a bit concerned about using Scrivener to attach the cover, however. It sounds like that's a bit more complex, and I don't want to have to figure out how to do this ins Sigil or another program (I suppose I can always use Calibre to attach the cover, though.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I get that a lot of you do this, but I don't really see the point. I published my latest book to Smashwords and Amazon this morning, and I did it right from Word 10. When I look at the epub, the pdf, or the mobi they look fine.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #9
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I'm interested in it as an easier way of converting books that are in the public domain.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
I get that a lot of you do this, but I don't really see the point. I published my latest book to Smashwords and Amazon this morning, and I did it right from Word 10. When I look at the epub, the pdf, or the mobi they look fine.
Same here, but using LO. I can understand wanting to upload a custom font for the headings and stuff, but that's really about the only thing I'd use Sigil for, and I don't see the need for yet another app.

That, and I'm *really* used to writing in notepad.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
VydorScope
Wizard

Well a couple-few reasons...

First not everywhere I submit accepts word docs. I need the EPUB for them.

Second, I have not been happy with the results I get from Amazon's DOC->MOBI creation on upload.

Third I like having 1 source doc to work from, regardless if the out put is PDF, Mobi, EPUB, etc.

Forth, I feel like I am getting better resulting files this way then using the DOC at Smash.

Fifth, using the "compile" tool in Scrivener allows me to have different front/back matter added in the making of the file. So for example Smashwords has specific things it needs in the title page that Amazon does not. My one source doc can power both.

So ok, that was more then a couple-few... guess I will stop now.