Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
TwentyOrLess
TwentyOrLess began at the beginning.

Device: none
FlightCrew missing warning epucheck throws

Based on my reading so far I expect this is flame bait, but if nobody reports a bug it never gets fixed...

book passes FlightCrew with no warnings.
epubcheck 3.0 throws: WARNING: blah blah blah : Filename contains spaces. Consider changing filename such that URI escaping is not necessary

Straightforward message, and easy enough to fix, but it would be nice if FlightCrew found that for me.
TwentyOrLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Flight crew is only designed to catch gross errors. It is enough to try to keep up with editing function without trying to keep up with the moving target of validation.

Flight crew will catch most errors. But for a final check, all epubs need to be run through epubcheck.

Besides which, Sigil is a epub 2 editor, and merely doesn't mangle epub3s. Since there are very few devices which display epub3, and the whole field is in flux, it will be some time before epub3 will be fully supported.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Flight crew is only designed to catch gross errors. It is enough to try to keep up with editing function without trying to keep up with the moving target of validation.

Flight crew will catch most errors. But for a final check, all epubs need to be run through epubcheck.

Besides which, Sigil is a epub 2 editor, and merely doesn't mangle epub3s. Since there are very few devices which display epub3, and the whole field is in flux, it will be some time before epub3 will be fully supported.
This is true, and I don't dispute it. That said, IMHO it is never a good idea to have spaces in file names or URLs, even if escaped with %characters. So again IMHO it would be good for FC to point out this kind of "error" even though technically it may not be an "error."

And I second your recommendation to use epubcheck after FC. FC has more sane error messages, whereas epubcheck (theoretically) catches everything not in-spec.
st_albert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Indeed, it is not an error, as this is perfectly allowed in ePUB2. However, it is best to only use standard characters in filenames and no spaces, diacritical or symbols in filenames.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You are both right. It may be allowable to have file name spaces, but all it takes is switching operating systems like to Linux and things go sideways. I never use them myself in epubs, or even anything on the web, since my own website is Linux based and barfs on spaces in filenames.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That is exactly why I say that it is not a good idea to actually use them... Usually it works, but it can be quite an issue to solve errors related to that. Not only Linux, but also Windows (applications) sometimes barfs on spaces in filenames.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
A warning on features that, while spec-compliant, are known to cause problems in some systems sounds fine to me. And, of course, an option to ignore warnings. Not so long ago FlightCrew gave a warning on unused files (is it still doing that?), and I don't know of any system where an unused (and properly manifested) file has any negative effect...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
A warning on features that, while spec-compliant, are known to cause problems in some systems sounds fine to me. And, of course, an option to ignore warnings. Not so long ago FlightCrew gave a warning on unused files (is it still doing that?), and I don't know of any system where an unused (and properly manifested) file has any negative effect...
'It is Unused' still appears as a Yellow item.

So, I would agree that spaces, coded or uncoded be included in the ''Yellow" section.
If we are going to do that, then that section should also report non-ASCII characters in file names because they cause problems on some devices.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
TwentyOrLess
TwentyOrLess began at the beginning.

A minor point of clarification. epubcheck 3.0 checks against epub2/epub3 depending on what type of file you feed it, in this case epub2. It is the recommended validator version for more than one retailer.

In any case, I guess you can file this under 'feature request'. Should be cake if you have access to a regex library.
TwentyOrLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
I always use also the stand alone epubcheck, epubpreflight and flightcrew to check an ePUB.
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote