Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I just asked my wife about it. She knows 'kombucha,' but not as a fermented tea. It's common here, but as regular tea.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I think there is some sort of sea weed concoction that is referred to as kombucha there. Not exactly the same thing.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I think there is some sort of sea weed concoction that is referred to as kombucha there. Not exactly the same thing.
Right. It's just tea made from kombu, a common seaweed usually used as a soup base. 'Cha' is the Japanese/Chinese word for tea. People drink kombucha here fairly often, but 'my' confusion came when you spoke of "getting a starter, and all of the *stuff* that goes with it." The kombucha that is drunk (drank? drinked?) here is just seaweed tea. Pretty vile stuff, as far as I'm concerned. I hope your fermented stuff tastes better. Ought to, as it seems yours is a sweet drink.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
... The kombucha that is drunk (drank? drinked?)... Stitchawl
At less than 0.5% ethanol I’d hardly think it is drunk.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #20
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Well, if the police caught you driving with 0.5% ethanol, I'm pretty sure they'd consider you drunk...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Well, if the police caught you driving with 0.5% ethanol, I'm pretty sure they'd consider you drunk...
Naw, they'd consider you dead!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #22
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
True dat too...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #23
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I am convinced that many of these remedies and foods work by creating the conditions in which our own gut flora can flourish and recover from the assault that our western diet subject our digestive systems to - but of course, that's not science!
Get a bunch of people with digestive problems and give half of them just colored water and the rest this medicine stuff. (Without their knowing, of course.)
Write down what happens.
Science.

It doesn't take a nuclear powered radioisotope positron counting machine to do science.
Just more than "I've heard someone say he knew someone that thought a colleague mentioned it might not be bad".
(Of course, it helps if the group is large enough and ideally no one knows who got the placebo and who got the real stuff. That can skew the results.)

Alternatively you can try to figure out what exactly is in that stuff - though that's probably more complex than trying to document if it works or not.
My guess would be lots of Vitamin B and C, as well as likely some sort of penicillin.

In any case, I'd not try to recreate the stuff on your own. There is much that can go wrong if the wrong kind of bacteria/funghi join the fray inside that barrel.

To clarify: I'm not saying that anything that is old must be a hoax - but lots of it is, and most isn't even that old anyway.
That certain roots or whatever may aid various problems isn't really the the great epiphany - it's finding out what exactly is causing the good effect and separating that from the rest of the root that might just as well try to kill you.
(Of course, it may just as well be the same stuff. Dose and poison and all that.)
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote