Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #136
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
honestly? it's a total PITA.

I dont fancy your chances unless you have the skills he lists. BUT as slanty says... it can be done.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #137
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Enhanced fontfix for K3/K4 (further development ihor's idea):

update_fontfix_0.8.zip (90 Kb)

- Adjusted font-size for mobi/azw-books (from 10 to 100);
- Adjusted left/right fields for mobi/azw-books (from 0 to 50);
- Adjusted top field for mobi/azw-books (from 0 to 30);
- Adjusted left/right fields for pdf-files (from 0 to 20);
- Adjusted top field for pdf-files (from 0 to 20);
- Reduced height of the bottom progress bar (with 45 to 38);
- Reduced page overlap in landscape mode for pdf-files (with 40 to 5);
- The increased number of lines in pop-up dictionary (with 3 to 7);
- Russian virtual keyboard ("абв" allocation);
- 24-hour time format.

Settings:
/YourKindleRoot/system/fontfix.pref
Code:
# User font size for Reader Booklet
FONT_LETTER=A
FONT_SIZES=20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36
# User AZW margins for Reader Booklet
MOBI_TOP_MARGIN=20
MOBI_HORIZONTAL_MARGINS=30,20,10
# User PDF margins for Reader Booklet
PDF_TOP_MARGIN=0
PDF_HORIZONTAL_MARGINS=0
Kitchen for K3/K4:
Font_Fix_source_full.rar (21 Mb)

Last edited by kaznelson; 06-24-2013 at 02:09 AM.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #138
SugarSnack
SugarSnack began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle - 4 NT (Black), 4.1.1
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post

- 24-hour time format.

Settings:
Code:
FONT_LETTER=A
MOBI_TOP_MARGIN=20
PDF_TOP_MARGIN=0
PDF_HORIZONTAL_MARGINS=0
Kitchen for K3/K4:
So I installed your hack and I now have a fontfix_install.log in root which seems to say everything went fine and fontfix.pref in /system, but there haven't been any changes to the font sizes on my Kindle 4. I've tried restarting and making changes to the fontfix.pref file to no avail. Any ideas?
SugarSnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #139
Bandi-T
Bandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheese

Device: K3gb, Kobo Aura HD
font sizing in update_fontfix_0.8.zip works on k3gb

Quote:

- 24-hour time format.
It just installed it on my k3gb (for the font size hack) and the features I quote in the list above work quite good (I did not try the other parts).

I find the minimum font size of 10 somewhat limiting at first - fixed up the check in Java and managed to compile them, but will see in coming days whether it indeed is a pressing enough need for me to learn KindleTool to generate an update (or to look up WiFi networking again to ssh/scp the newly compiled classes over).

Thanks ihor, ixtab, NiLuJe, twobob, kaznelson and everyone else who contributed!

NiLuJe, I think it would it be worth including this in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

Last edited by Bandi-T; 09-08-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Bandi-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #140
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Bandi-T: I'm quite open to linking to it/pointing inquiring users to it, but not 'folding' it into the thread, for a couple of reasons:

* It's, by design, fairly intrusive, and possibly tied to a specific fw build.
* It's not 'update safe'
* The thread is already gigantic enough .

To be clear, I have *nothing* against it, quite to the contrary, but it clashes a bit with the intended audience of the thread you mentioned, so it's mostly to avoid a support nightmare/people shooting themselves in the foot (same reason you don't see USBNet mentioned much in that thread).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #141
Bandi-T
Bandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheese

Device: K3gb, Kobo Aura HD
Fair enough.

Linking would be nice though, because I spent half a day going down the same path that was done here (of getting the libs, decompiling them, digging through them for the list, modifying, stopping short of getting an old version of the JDK to recompile for 1.4).
Bandi-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #142
ams
Enthusiast
ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo: Mini, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandi-T View Post
It just installed it on my k3gb (for the font size hack) and the features I quote in the list above work quite good (I did not try the other parts).
While the font size setting works very nicely, the formatting of the headings is not diplayed correctly anymore (large headings are much smaller than they should be, at least on my k3gb, FW3.4).

Edit: By default (if no style is specified in the style sheet) the kindle renders heading sizes in steps that correspond to the steps on the Aa key. For old mobi format: <h5> is normal text size, <h4>, <h3> etc. increase one step each, same as <big></big> tag.
I would, however, expect that if font-sizes are specified in the style-sheet relative to the normal font (like h1 { font-size: 2.0em;}) this should not be affected by the font hack. But even in this case the font size actually displayed seems to be related to the steps assigned to the Aa key for old-style mobis (mobi7) only: Although the html in the mobi file contains h1 { font-size: 2.0em; }, the displayed fontsize is much smaller. I guess this is just the strange way the kindle renders mobis, not a problem of the font-hack.
No problems with KF8, works as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandi-T View Post
...fixed up the check in Java and managed to compile them, but will see in coming days whether it indeed is a pressing enough need for me to learn KindleTool to generate an update...
The KindleTool part is easy once you created the framework-api-en_US.jar, framework-impl-en_US.jar and MobiReader-en_US.jar files. In the update_fontfix_0.8zip, go to the src directory where you'll find a batch file called build-updates.cmd (along with the install.sh and uninstall.sh files). You can just copy/paste the kindletool lines for your model (k3gb) from the batch file into the cmd window.

Last edited by ams; 09-15-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Details
ams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I'd like to know is that with the latest jailbreak and whatever the latest firmware it works with, does this font hack to get more font sizes still work?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #144
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@JSWolf: More, no. Different, yes (cf. the link to kaznelson's PW1/PW2 fonts/margins hack link in the 'Where To Start' sticky).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 05:13 AM   #145
Meiden
Meiden began at the beginning.

Device: K4
Quote:

- 24-hour time format.

Settings:
Code:
FONT_LETTER=A
MOBI_TOP_MARGIN=20
PDF_TOP_MARGIN=0
PDF_HORIZONTAL_MARGINS=0
Kitchen for K3/K4:
Hi there. I can't access this link as it requires to complete a cyrillic captcha... that's impossible to be solved by me. Does anyone have a mirror for this file that doesn't require a cyrillic captcha?
Meiden is offline   Reply With Quote