Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard
mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPhone 6, Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad 2
File splitting and endnotes links

I'm still working on the same ePub I was talking about a couple days ago—and thus still trying to learn a thing or two about the ideal workflow I should stick to for the next books I format.

This book was split in 17 files when I first opened it. After reformating a lot of things, I created an 18th file to put the original endnotes (that weren't in the original ePub file—I'm doing this by hand). I managed to correctly create over a hundred of those endnotes, thanks to the information I found on this forum.

The original edition of this book (end of 18th century) was in six volumes, so I now want to mark the change of volume in the ePub version I'm doing. So I added a "h2.sectiontitle" class in the stylesheet, where I specified "page-break-before: always;" so that when a new volume starts, it starts on a new page.

But then I read around here that the only way to make a page-break on certain reader, like iPad, is to actually split the files at the correct place... Is that true? So the CSS I did will have no effect (the "page-break-before: always;" I mean)?

If that is true, it means I have to resplit the files in order to have the beginning of a section to start on a new page. Unfortunately, after linking all those endnotes, I don't think I will split the files differently, as I guess I will have to re-do all the linking correctly after? Am I mistaken? Or does Sigil re-adjust all the endnotes correctly when files are re-split? I would guess not. Would be too good to be true.

So, is there an easy way to split the files differently without breaking all the endnotes?

I guess the next time I will see that the file splitting/chaptering is correctly done before going to the endnotes step.

Thanks in advance for your help.
mtrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:25 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Any good reader should honor the page-break-before. So, I would not be suprised if the iBooks would not.
The other way is to split the files more. Every new file will function as a new-chapter and thus a page break.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
My experience has been that Sigil modifies the endnote links appropriately when files are split (ver 0.3.4 and below).
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard
mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.

Thanks again for the info. I guess I'll leave my book as it is now (too afraid to break the endnotes at this point), but I'll give it a try on another book sometime to see how exactly file splitting affect endnotes links in Sigil.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
As long as the notes are defined correctly, splitting in Sigil will work.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard

Seems I haven't done my endnotes correctly... I thought I was done with the books, and passing it into FlightCrew gave me one error like this for every endnote: "value 'x' is invalid NCName".

I don't exactly understand what that means or what I didn't do correctly. I will explain what I did to create the endnotes and if anyone can show me the wrong part I would be grateful.

First, in the text I put this: <a href="../Text/index_split_18.html#1" id="1"><sup>1</sup></a>

And in the index_split_18.html files where the notes are located I put this:<p class="footnote"><a href="../Text/index_split_0.html#1" id="1">1</a>. NOTE TEXT</p> with index_split_0.html being the file where I put the first part.

I did the 130 notes like this, changing the number every time of course.

Any idea what I did wrong?

It's my last question for this ePub I swear.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
It took some searching to verify my memory, but here it is:

Quote:
The id attribute value must begin with a letter in the roman alphabet (a–z or A–Z); this can be followed by any combination of letters (a–z or A–Z), digits (0–9), hyphens (-), underscores (_), colons (:), and periods (.). The id value is case sensitive, thus <span id="me">This is me</span> and <span id="ME">This is me</a> would be considered to be separate and uniquely identifiable elements on the same web page.
Maybe make your ids like "en-1" instead of "1".

Last edited by Jellby; 04-25-2011 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Fixed smiley
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard

Ah, I see!

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
The question of whether the page break bug has been fixed in ibooks was still up in the air as of February 2011. See Pigs, Gourds & Wikis. Someone comments that it doesn't appear to have been fixed.
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
My experience has been that Sigil modifies the endnote links appropriately when files are split (ver 0.3.4 and below).
Is there something special to do after splitting a file to get Sigil modify correctly the endnotes links? I just tried splitting a file and nothing was changed in my endnotes links... (using Sigil 0.3.4)

My endnotes are done like this: in the text I put <a href="../Text/index_split_18.html#en-1" id="en-1"><sup>1</sup></a>

And in the index_split_18.html files where the notes are located I put this:<p class="footnote"><a href="../Text/index_split_0.html#en-1" id="en-1">1</a>. NOTE TEXT</p> with index_split_0.html being the file where I put the first part.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrahan View Post
Is there something special to do after splitting a file to get Sigil modify correctly the endnotes links? I just tried splitting a file and nothing was changed in my endnotes links... (using Sigil 0.3.4)

My endnotes are done like this: in the text I put <a href="../Text/index_split_18.html#en-1" id="en-1"><sup>1</sup></a>

And in the index_split_18.html files where the notes are located I put this:<p class="footnote"><a href="../Text/index_split_0.html#en-1" id="en-1">1</a>. NOTE TEXT</p> with index_split_0.html being the file where I put the first part.

Thanks again for the help.
I notice that the link target "#en-1" is the same as the link id (id="en-1"). You are probably able to get away with this initially, because the endnote link and the return-from-endnote link are in separate files. But IMHO this is asking for trouble, and may be confusing the logic in Sigil that adjusts the link targets.

I advise using, say

Code:
<a href="../Text/index_split_18.html#en-1" id="txt-1"><sup>1</sup></a>
in the body of text, and then

Code:
<p class="footnote"><a href="../Text/index_split_0.html#txt-1" id="en-1">1</a>. NOTE TEXT</p>
in the endnotes. That way, there's less chance for confusion.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard

st_albert, thanks a lot—you just made me understand clearly a simple thing about anchors (I'm such a noob hehe). I was doing them a bit blindly by keeping the same id for everything because I wasn't too sure how it worked...

Will update my book and re-try file splitting and see how my endnotes links react.